Temperate Fruit & Orchards > Temperate Fruit Discussion

Gold Nugget Loquat, just the beginning.

(1/1)

JoeReal:
One of my frustrations in creating a multi-grafted loquat tree is that most loquats are susceptible to fireblight. If we had a weird season that there would be rains when the loquats are in bloom, fireblight spreads so easily and it can kill the tree. I used to have an 8-n-1 loquat tree but it succumbed to fireblight during one of those unlucky years.  I don't want to apply antibiotics to control fireblight but am working on other alternatives.

So I am starting to build a multi-grafted loquat tree again from seedling. And it's pushing out. I usually start with a couple of seedlings and use one as a backup. Once they've reached appropriate size and survived, into the ground they'd go and I give the other one away to friends.

I would let the side shoots live so I can graft on them next year!

Side Veneer graft looking good!

This one hasn't pushed out yet. I removed the paraffin tape cover to hasten the take or its death. The sooner I know, the better, as I am ready to re-graft just in case.

MotherofDragons:
How exciting! I love loquats. Do you find them difficult to graft? I have over a dozen seedlings started this year and have plans to try and graft some next year. I have never grafted before, but will be diving in head first next season.

Triloba Tracker:
Nice, Joe!

JoeReal:

--- Quote from: MotherofDragons on August 06, 2019, 12:29:37 AM ---How exciting! I love loquats. Do you find them difficult to graft? I have over a dozen seedlings started this year and have plans to try and graft some next year. I have never grafted before, but will be diving in head first next season.

--- End quote ---

Treat them like citrus or avocado grafts. All techniques used on avocado or citruses work on loquat.

sc4001992:
MotherofDragons, loquats are very easy to graft just like white sapote.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version