Author Topic: Need zone 8a fig recommendations  (Read 1290 times)

nexxogen

• Bar, Montenegro
    • View Profile
Need zone 8a fig recommendations
« on: August 07, 2019, 04:48:02 PM »
Hello. I live in Belgrade, Serbia which is in zone 8a, but I've grown up by the Montenegrin coastline which is in 9a/9b and we have excellent fig varieties there.

In Belgrade, figs are growing everywhere, but I have never tasted any that were even decent. All of them are always dry and awful, practically inedible.

I am not sure if this is because of the climate or because most of them are probably seedlings, so I was wondering if someone could recomend some good varieties for zone 8a type climate that I could try and get cuttings of. According to my research, zone 8a should be good enough to grow figs successfully.

SoCal2warm

• zone 10 and zone 8a
    • View Profile
Re: Need zone 8a fig recommendations
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2019, 07:16:25 PM »
In the Pacific Northwest (in the US) the two best varieties for the climate (zone 8a) are generally considered to be Desert King and Olympian.
I'm not sure if those varieties are available to you in Serbia, or if they might be sold under different names.

You will need the right variety that can ripen properly in your climate before the Winter.

I have no doubt delicious big figs can be grown where you are, you just need the right variety. It probably won't be the same varieties growing closer to the coast.

If I can make a suggestion, you might check out the Fig Forum at Ourfigs.com
https://www.ourfigs.com/forum/figs-home

There may be fig growers from Europe there who can point you to specific varieties appropriate for your area.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2019, 07:21:25 PM by SoCal2warm »

nexxogen

• Bar, Montenegro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2019, 01:36:16 AM »
Thank you for the answer! Well, the only way for me to get named fig varieties here is by purchasing cuttings on eBay. People do sell figs here, but they just name them "white fig", or "black fig", and I do not trust that.

I'll take a look at the forum you linked, thanks.

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2019, 08:38:38 AM »
The white ones are verry cold hardy ,fast fruiting in the second year from planting and really the best for your climate.The black ones are like the turkish figs,verry tasty and quite big.
If you find a fig tree you like,then you can take cuttings ( ask permission) in the spring and just stick them in the soil where you want to plant them.
The white ones make fruit 2 times a year and the first fruits are big and tasty while the second crop its not that tasty.
Here we have a lady that sells somme fig trees that make figs the size of an apple and verry tasty ,just its not too much winter hardy and also grows slow compared to the white figs.

« Last Edit: August 08, 2019, 08:43:16 AM by SeaWalnut »

Triloba Tracker

• Psalms 104:14
    • USA, Middle Tennessee, Zone 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2019, 08:59:59 AM »
Wow, that’s huge!

nexxogen

• Bar, Montenegro
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2019, 09:42:33 AM »
The white ones are verry cold hardy ,fast fruiting in the second year from planting and really the best for your climate.The black ones are like the turkish figs,verry tasty and quite big.
If you find a fig tree you like,then you can take cuttings ( ask permission) in the spring and just stick them in the soil where you want to plant them.
The white ones make fruit 2 times a year and the first fruits are big and tasty while the second crop its not that tasty.
Here we have a lady that sells somme fig trees that make figs the size of an apple and verry tasty ,just its not too much winter hardy and also grows slow compared to the white figs.

The problem is, I haven't found any that are good. That's why I would rather get a named variety. Also, I don't believe that all white figs and all black figs are one and the same. There are so many varieties that look similar but taste very different.

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2019, 06:59:58 PM »
Wow, that’s huge!
It is huge,the biggest in the world and i found the cultivar name,Ceretto.Somme fruits grow to 200 grams( 2 fruits per pound) .