Author Topic: Kaimana Lychee  (Read 10908 times)

SWRancher

• Merritt Island, FL Zone 9B
    • View Profile
Kaimana Lychee
« on: February 10, 2012, 09:08:22 PM »
I'm excited went to Pine Island Nursery today and got myself a Kaimana Lychee airlayer tree. Of the many types of Lychee I have now tasted (thanks Harry!) Kaimana is one of my favorites. I'll post a picture of the new tree tomorrow.

For those in South Florida, PIN is running a special deal for their 40th anniversity. If you spent $40 or more they give you a small canvas bag that you can fill up with free fruit or with a bag of fertilzer on any future visits for the rest of 2012. I work about 20 minutes away from them so will be filling mine weekly. 

Tony   

lycheeluva

• Brooklyn, NY
  • obsessed with fruit growing, especially lychees
    • View Profile
Re: Kaimana Lychee
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2012, 09:12:02 PM »
nice find, Tony. which other less common lychee trees did they have (meaning not mauritius,brewester, hak ip, sweetheart, emperor, groff)

SWRancher

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2012, 09:16:43 PM »
The only others besides the ones you mentioned that I noticed were Bengal and Ohia.

SWRancher

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2012, 07:36:49 PM »
Better late then never....a picture of my new Kaimana Lychee tree.

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2012, 07:52:33 PM »
Orale SWR!  Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens. LOUIS JORDAN - AIN'T NOBODY HERE BUT US CHICKENS- 1956Whats the new potted mango on the right? And what's the mango in the background covered w panicles?
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 07:54:07 PM by zands »

Jacob13

• Southern California - Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2012, 02:42:48 PM »
Beautiful Tree!  Yo guys are so lucky out there... Just a quick drive to Pine Island

SWRancher

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2012, 04:06:37 PM »
Zands - LOL,  ;D The potted Mango tree on the right is a Lemon Zest and the one with blooms in the background is a Carrie. 

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • Pembroke Pines, FL, 33024, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2012, 04:45:00 PM »
Nice!

I guess you just shoot down us 27, then down chrome ave?
Alexi

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2012, 07:32:26 PM »
Hey Tony, check your mail, sent you something about the chickens

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2012, 12:51:35 AM »
Beautiful Tree!  Yo guys are so lucky out there... Just a quick drive to Pine Island

It's not that easy. Pine Island is 90 miles south of me. I have a hard time justifying driving down there (time and expense) to buy one $35 fruit tree. Maybe I'll make a combined trip in a few months during one of the Mango festivals. Same applies to others in this forum....that Pine Island nursery is far away in another county

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2012, 07:06:02 PM »

It's not that easy. Pine Island is 90 miles south of me. I have a hard time justifying driving down there (time and expense) to buy one $35 fruit tree. Maybe I'll make a combined trip in a few months during one of the Mango festivals. Same applies to others in this forum....that Pine Island nursery is far away in another county

I know what you're saying!  With the price of gas these days. :P
John

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
    • LED Bulbs for Landscape Lighting
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2015, 01:38:02 PM »
FYI -

Mimosa in Los Angeles has sale on Lychees.

15 gal is for sale $100, original price $200 (5-6 feet tall). They have sweetheart, Mauritius, Brewster.
7 Gal is for sale $90, original price $180 (36"), too damn expensive compared to 15 gal.
3 Gal on sale for $50, size of some are better than or within 20% of 7 GAL. They have Kaimana.

I picked 15-gal Brewster and 3-Gal Kaimana. I will fancy my chances of growing Kaimana in foothills of Corona, 1200 feet elevation, I get decent chill hours too.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2015, 01:21:38 AM »
FYI -

15 gal is for sale $100, original price $200 (5-6 feet tall). They have sweetheart, Mauritius, Brewster.
7 Gal is for sale $90, original price $180 (36"), too damn expensive compared to 15 gal.
3 Gal on sale for $50, size of some are better than or within 20% of 7 GAL. They have Kaimana.

I picked 15-gal Brewster and 3-Gal Kaimana. I will fancy my chances of growing Kaimana in foothills of Corona, 1200 feet elevation, I get decent chill hours too.

Kaimana doesn't need any chill hours to fruit, if by chill hours you mean time below 55F?
Oscar

Doglips

• Houston TX 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2015, 01:35:15 AM »
Another county, my goodness.
Crack me up.  I was in the Ocala area and I justified going to Excalibur, 6 hour round trip, did it 3 times on 3 trips (k, one time I flew into FTL). So spoiled you are.  The things we take for granted.  I wanna be spoiled.  At least PIN ships, a minor field leveler.
I killed my Kaimana, I think it was the delicious tap water.

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2015, 01:44:10 AM »
Kaimana doesn't need any chill hours to fruit, if by chill hours you mean time below 55F?
[/quote]

Oscar, what is preffered location for Kaimana? Full sun, partial sun, not too hot spot? We get winds and temps in 100 degrees in hot summer. was wondering best spot where this variety would thrive.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2015, 06:19:11 AM »

Oscar, what is preffered location for Kaimana? Full sun, partial sun, not too hot spot? We get winds and temps in 100 degrees in hot summer. was wondering best spot where this variety would thrive.
[/quote]

All lychee cultivars need full sun to fruit. Any part of the tree not exposed to full sun is not going to fruit well. They can handle 100F, but they can't handle constant strong wind. You should consider installing a wind break if you have bad wind situation. They also like high humidity, another reason wind is detrimental.
Oscar

EJO8

• Orange County, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2015, 11:30:25 AM »
FYI -

Thanks for the heads up Behl! I picked up a kaimana today.

Eric

BestDay

• Long Beach, CA 10B 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2015, 01:43:47 PM »
Was the Kaimana very small?  I was there a month ago and the three gallon Kaimana looked like it should have been in a one gallon. The plant was only about 12" tall.

Bill

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2015, 01:51:09 PM »
Was the Kaimana very small?  I was there a month ago and the three gallon Kaimana looked like it should have been in a one gallon. The plant was only about 12" tall.

Bill

Not bad
Bill i would go for the 15 gallon Brewster much better litchi

Bill left you a message

« Last Edit: August 21, 2015, 01:54:16 PM by JF »

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2015, 04:25:43 PM »

Bill

Bill,

yes 3 gal is small but close to 24", mimosa folks planted 3 gal into 7 gal already, and some smaller ones were left in 3 gal. I paid attention to the thickness of trunk and whether plant was in active flush mode or not. My kaimana was actively flushing very hard so I picked that one over others.

OCchris

• Old Towne, Orange, CA 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2015, 12:01:10 AM »
I threw these pic's up a while back in another thread of my first Kaimana harvest last month. My fruits were large (largest one being just under golf ball size), tasty, tons of 'meat', and lacked the rosy taste of other varieties.

Chris

Delvi83

• Italy
    • View Profile
    • Il Gusto della Natura
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2015, 04:23:42 AM »
Wow, does it bear fruit even in pot ??? I've always seen Litchi flowering in pot, but never fruiting..

OCchris

• Old Towne, Orange, CA 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2015, 02:11:15 AM »
Hi Delvi, I am doing a bit of a yard remodel and its been taking forever...so the little Kaimana's just went ahead an fruited while they were waiting for their new home. Wasn't all that difficult to do really. Chris

Delvi83

• Italy
    • View Profile
    • Il Gusto della Natura
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2015, 04:03:47 AM »
May be depends on the climate...is it grafted?

P.s.

I have only tried Litchi from supermarket, here in Italy are present during christmas's period and come from Madagascar....so I think to have eaten just one cultivars...is the flavor very different among the cultivars?

Thanks  :) and share the future photos

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk