Author Topic: How do you train and prune avocado?  (Read 808 times)

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
How do you train and prune avocado?
« on: November 07, 2019, 07:13:37 PM »
I see many references to pyramid and cone shapes but most trees I see growing in the tropical orchards pinch young and train to multiple leaders. This is one of mine, a Brogdon just pruned heavy to remove top growth. This is an example of what I am seeing recommended down south of the border. The pramid form may just be an old tradition or have something to do with California vs more tropical climate and varieties. I am wondering what others experience has been.

Vernmented

• Starry Nursery/Plant Hoarder/Zone Pusher/Biochar Enthusiast
    • USA, Florida, Sarasota, 9B/10A
    • View Profile
    • Starry Nursery Instagram
Re: How do you train and prune avocado?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2019, 09:48:22 AM »
I see many references to pyramid and cone shapes but most trees I see growing in the tropical orchards pinch young and train to multiple leaders. This is one of mine, a Brogdon just pruned heavy to remove top growth. This is an example of what I am seeing recommended down south of the border. The pramid form may just be an old tradition or have something to do with California vs more tropical climate and varieties. I am wondering what others experience has been.

That looks good to me. I prune in a similar fashion for most species that flower on new growth just avocados tend to be more weedy and whippy so they get a heavier prune. This is also how Richard Campbell taught me. I think the mexican varieties are more tame and especially in the cooler climates so they probably have more options. I tend to do a slight "stadium" prune that lets light in through the entire canopy since the south side of the tree will be dominant anyway.

I just pruned a Brogdon as well. It has a Wilson Seedless graft on the front that I tied up and trained after pruning. I pruned out an area to let the weaker grafts up front push some dominance. They were drooping towards the ground to begin with.

Brogdon before

Brogdon After

Wilson Seedless graft training

This is on an Oro Negro but these are types of growth that you can replace older scaffolding branches with to cycle out the larger wood in the tree similar for mango size control.

I use Silky handsaws for everything. Smooth like Kerrygold butter.

-Josh

poofystuff

• Melbourne, Florida 9B/10
    • View Profile
Re: How do you train and prune avocado?
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2019, 10:29:40 AM »

That looks good to me. I prune in a similar fashion for most species that flower on new growth just avocados tend to be more weedy and whippy so they get a heavier prune. This is also how Richard Campbell taught me. I think the mexican varieties are more tame and especially in the cooler climates so they probably have more options. I tend to do a slight "stadium" prune that lets light in through the entire canopy since the south side of the tree will be dominant anyway.

I just pruned a Brogdon as well. It has a Wilson Seedless graft on the front that I tied up and trained after pruning. I pruned out an area to let the weaker grafts up front push some dominance. They were drooping towards the ground to begin with.

Brogdon before

Brogdon After

Wilson Seedless graft training

This is on an Oro Negro but these are types of growth that you can replace older scaffolding branches with to cycle out the larger wood in the tree similar for mango size control.

I use Silky handsaws for everything. Smooth like Kerrygold butter.

Man, great job! You need to come train my trees.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk