Author Topic: Has anyone heard of White Sapote cultivar USDA?  (Read 7475 times)

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
Has anyone heard of White Sapote cultivar USDA?
« on: February 15, 2012, 02:38:04 AM »
Got a 25 gal white sapote from Excalibur for a buddy of mine...the nicest looking one they had (in my opinion) was one simply labeled "USDA"

Can anyone tell me about this tree?  and if the fruit ever is bitter in this variety?

there is a seedling tree near me, where you can pick the fruit almost green, and they still taste good when they get soft, and still stay kind of green...they are small and round...

But near that same tree is another, that has huge (soft ball size) fruits, that taste bitter no matter when or how you pick them and ripen them

I hear same for pawpaw! and a bunch of other fruits as well I bet.

Thanks!
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Has anyone heard of White Sapote cultivar USDA?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2012, 07:33:31 AM »
Got a 25 gal white sapote from Excalibur for a buddy of mine...the nicest looking one they had (in my opinion) was one simply labeled "USDA"

Can anyone tell me about this tree?  and if the fruit ever is bitter in this variety?

there is a seedling tree near me, where you can pick the fruit almost green, and they still taste good when they get soft, and still stay kind of green...they are small and round...

But near that same tree is another, that has huge (soft ball size) fruits, that taste bitter no matter when or how you pick them and ripen them

I hear same for pawpaw! and a bunch of other fruits as well I bet.

Thanks!
When did you buy it ?
- Rob

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2012, 12:25:49 PM »
Know nothing about this variety, you may have good luck asking on cloudforest. There are several members there growing quite a few different varieties of White Sapote. One of better White Sapotes is Subelle. I am growing this in a 20 gal container, it flowers and produces in a container. Subelle is always dwarf variety.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

Saltcayman

• Zone 13b TCI
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2012, 04:43:25 PM »
United States Department Of Agriculture?

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2012, 05:37:16 PM »
Got it last Friday BsBUllie

I just accidentally typed a long response to your question, under the pretense that you'd asked" why did you buy it"..

LOL

Had to erase that one quick
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 05:40:03 PM by ASaffron »
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2012, 05:58:05 PM »

I just accidentally typed a long response to your question, under the pretense that you'd asked" why did you buy it"..

LOL

Seems like description of the origin, not the name of the cultivar. You should ask Excalibur.
Oscar
Oscar

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2012, 08:26:56 PM »

LOL

Adam - feel free to call me Rob :)

I will check with Richard for you.   Where was the label ?  Was it written on the pot ?
- Rob

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2012, 11:55:18 PM »
Excalibur does list "USDA" on their website as a white sapote cultivar they carry.
John

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2012, 01:18:31 PM »

LOL

Adam - feel free to call me Rob :)

I will check with Richard for you.   Where was the label ?  Was it written on the pot ?

BSbullie!

Thanks!
Yamon, it was on the pot mon!

Thanks!
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2012, 03:12:14 PM »
The USDA is the variety.  The Fruit & Spice park got it from the USDA.  Richard got it from the park.  It's best characteristics are that of is a smaller, more compact tree, later ripening (probably the latest), ad very good to outstanding flavor.
- Rob

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2012, 07:01:29 PM »
The USDA is the variety.  The Fruit & Spice park got it from the USDA.  Richard got it from the park.  It's best characteristics are that of is a smaller, more compact tree, later ripening (probably the latest), ad very good to outstanding flavor.

Smaller, more compact tree is good!  I love white sapotes from my days in L.A.  Used to find them growing in some of the old neighborhoods.  It was like discovering a treasure!  What would latest ripening mean?  What's their season?  (PIN says May-July for white sapotes.)
« Last Edit: February 18, 2012, 07:18:42 PM by johnb51 »
John

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2012, 12:07:34 AM »

Much appreciated Rob!

I will ask the owner of the tree how he likes the fruit!  It had a good 10 or so on the tree, I managed to bring them home intact...the tree is low and spreading, not a tall tree...hope fruits have no bitter taste! Im guessing no one would graft one that does!

I keep you posted
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2012, 12:18:00 AM »

Much appreciated Rob!

I will ask the owner of the tree how he likes the fruit!  It had a good 10 or so on the tree, I managed to bring them home intact...the tree is low and spreading, not a tall tree...hope fruits have no bitter taste! Im guessing no one would graft one that does!

I keep you posted
Any time...I will be curious to know what the flavor is like.

By the way, Richard gave it the "name" USDA as it did not have a name when acquired by the F&S Park.  Due to its origin, it earned it known by name.  I asked if he knew if the Park was using the "USDA" name or had given it any name and he didn't know.
- Rob

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2012, 09:38:37 PM »
I get the idea somehow that people are making up cultivar names without ever officially registering them? Which may mean that the same cultivar occurs with several different unofficial names?
Oscar
Oscar

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2012, 10:01:17 PM »
I get the idea somehow that people are making up cultivar names without ever officially registering them? Which may mean that the same cultivar occurs with several different unofficial names?
Oscar

How do you officially register a cultivar name?

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2012, 10:05:21 PM »
Oscar

How do you officially register a cultivar name?

I think there are a couple of ways to do it. The easier way may be to go through CRFG. They have a cultivar registration application.
Oscar
Oscar

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2012, 10:07:27 PM »
Oscar

I like this and dislike this at same time...some times it lends to confusion, and I buy the same tree twice...sometimes it is a better name, and convinces someone to buy the tree, because of the name...(like Noel calling the one custard apple, "birthday cake" or whatever...I can't even remember the real name...like sekeyarta...so sometimes a name switch, can help sell a tree...now I want that dam birthday cake annona! thanks a lot Noel!!! ;D  )
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2012, 10:18:11 PM »
Oscar

I like this and dislike this at same time...some times it lends to confusion, and I buy the same tree twice...sometimes it is a better name, and convinces someone to buy the tree, because of the name...(like Noel calling the one custard apple, "birthday cake" or whatever...I can't even remember the real name...like sekeyarta...so sometimes a name switch, can help sell a tree...now I want that dam birthday cake annona! thanks a lot Noel!!! ;D  )

Unless that annona (or rollinia) is being reproduced clonally, as in grafting, it's not even a cultivar, and shouldn't be called by any cultivar name. I think we all "know" this but it's easy to get sloppy.
As for selling, yes people make up all kinds of things, not just names, to try to sell any product. But if you want to know and be able to trace what something really is don't leave it only in the hands of a salesman.
Oscar
Oscar

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2012, 01:56:04 PM »
Most commercial variety names have never been officially resgisterd as "cultivars."  I have named quite a few myself, after the person whose yard the tree I got graft wood from was in, or from the town name or canton name, whichever seemed catchier.  This does not cause any problem, as long as they are reproduced clonally.  If seeds arre used, the resulting plants may honestly be sold as "seedling of '...' ".  Don't shorten the name later by dropping "seedling."
Har

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk