Author Topic: Growing persimmons from seed  (Read 1613 times)

nexxogen

• Bar, Montenegro
    • View Profile
Growing persimmons from seed
« on: April 24, 2020, 03:25:30 PM »
Hi. I haven't been able to find an answer to this question so I decided to ask it here in hopes someone will know the answer.

I know that persimmons are divided into several categories based on astringency. My question is, what is the probability that a seed of a PCNA type (Pollination Constant Non-Astringent, which means that the fruit will be non-astringent regardless of whether it got pollinated or not) will also produce a PCNA type seedling? I have planted several Fuyu seeds a few years ago and I've put one of them in the ground in September 2018 (it was one and a half years old at that point), but it won't fruit for at least two more years it seems, so I'm getting a bit impatient. :) Also, if there's not much chance that I'll get a PCNA fruit like Fuyu, I'd rather look for scion wood to graft, so it would be good to know as soon as possible.

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
Re: Growing persimmons from seed
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2020, 09:44:01 PM »
Here in romania a Fuyu grafted on Diospyros Lotus ,thats usually 1,5 meter tall,cost just 10 euro.
I think you would pay more on the seeds then again on the scion.

nexxogen

• Bar, Montenegro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2020, 12:42:51 AM »
Well, that's not really relevant to me at this point. I've already got a 3 year old Fuyu seedling in the ground, so I'm wondering if I'll get a non-astringent fruit or not.

giorgosgr.

• Attika, Greece zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2020, 03:06:13 AM »
I have done the same thing as you a couple of years ago and the resulting fruit was really different than the Fuyu parent tree. The fruit was really small astrigent and needed to be fully ripe to be edible, but tastes amazing

nexxogen

• Bar, Montenegro
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2020, 07:11:39 AM »
OK, so a seed from a non-asteingent fruit will not guarantee a non-astringent seedling. That's too bad. I know when it comes to taste, you can't really go wrong with persimmon seedlings, as they will most likely produce a great tasting fruit. But I really want to have a non-astringent one. 😆 I guess I'll start looking for scionwood at the end of this year...

giorgosgr.

• Attika, Greece zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2020, 08:49:04 AM »
OK, so a seed from a non-asteingent fruit will not guarantee a non-astringent seedling. That's too bad. I know when it comes to taste, you can't really go wrong with persimmon seedlings, as they will most likely produce a great tasting fruit. But I really want to have a non-astringent one. 😆 I guess I'll start looking for scionwood at the end of this year...
Like seawalnut said it should be really cheap to by a bare root tree. At least here in Greece i find them around 3€ per tree (2 m tall)

nexxogen

• Bar, Montenegro
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2020, 09:42:29 AM »
Other than there not being any available here (and the fact that it would be too expensive for me to order from abroad, provided they could even pass the border), I don't have enough room to put any new trees. So I'm pretty much limited to grafting.

I do have a Vanilla (Vaniglia) tree, but as far as I'm aware, it's not a true non-astringent variety. It's young so I didn't yet get to try any fruit.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2020, 09:44:56 AM by nexxogen »

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2020, 06:34:39 PM »
Il send you the Fuiu scions for free.Let me know when in PM.

nexxogen

• Bar, Montenegro
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2020, 01:03:36 AM »
Thank you, that is very kind of you! It will probably not be until next January.