Author Topic: Ficus austrocaledonica New Caledonia Fig Plants  (Read 1552 times)

Giant Gecko

• USA,NC,Welcome,7
    • View Profile
Ficus austrocaledonica New Caledonia Fig Plants
« on: May 06, 2020, 09:52:23 PM »
Hey fellow Tropical Fruit Growers,

I have a few Ficus austrocaledonica plants on auction that I grew from cuttings from last year. They are very well rooted now. Apparently the fruit is edible but it is grown mainly as an ornamental. I would just do a buy it now price on here but I really don’t know what a reasonable price would be for them because they are uncommonly sold. Price starts at $22 each and $40 for 2. If you have any ? let me know.

http://ebay.us/4hNRRV?cmpnId=5338273189

Thanks,

David

NateTheGreat

• SF Bay Area, 9B
    • View Profile
Re: Ficus austrocaledonica New Caledonia Fig Plants
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2020, 11:44:50 AM »
I'm tempted. Any pics of the mother tree? No fruit off it yet? Do you need the wasp?
« Last Edit: May 07, 2020, 12:09:06 PM by NateTheGreat »

ManVFruit

• San Diego, California
    • View Profile
    • MANvFRUIT
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2020, 01:49:54 PM »
I'm tempted. Any pics of the mother tree? No fruit off it yet? Do you need the wasp?

FYI, from what I found about them online a while back; they are deciduous trees, and you are not likely to get true to parent fruits from seeds.

Giant Gecko

• USA,NC,Welcome,7
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2020, 07:10:13 PM »

The first pic is the mother plant just out of “hibernation”. The second pic is the rooted cuttings when I put them in the individual pots in early fall of last year. You can see how vivid their growing tips get. No fruit yet unfortunately I think it is due to keeping it trimmed and not enough growing season in North Carolina with no greenhouse.

I got into growing New Caledonia flora when I used to keep fauna from there hence my screen name Giant Gecko. It sure has been fun to get seeds of different species and the anticipation of germination with mostly good results.

ManVFruit

• San Diego, California
    • View Profile
    • MANvFRUIT
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2020, 10:32:24 AM »
They look very healthy too , if I had more space I would totally experiment and join in this effort.

Giant Gecko

• USA,NC,Welcome,7
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2020, 06:52:56 AM »
Thanks ManVFruit.

I understand space constraints all too well and time too. Looking on your Facebook page you a have a bunch of very healthy fruit species/ varieties that keeps your hands full. Your climate sure would be much more ideal than mine with plants from New Caledonia.

Here is a New Caledonia species that you may want to make room for in the future. It supposed to have good tasting fruits.

NateTheGreat

• SF Bay Area, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2020, 12:09:15 PM »
Ficus habrophylla looks interesting to me. Have you tried this one by chance?

Giant Gecko

• USA,NC,Welcome,7
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2020, 12:35:08 PM »
I have tried to grow Ficus habrophylla 2 times and had 0 germinate for me which was disappointing. Last time I bought 100 seeds of them right when rarepalmseeds got a fresh supply in. I even soaked the seeds for a day and most sank which is typically a good sign but still 0 germination. The F. austrocaledonica I had at least 75% germination with them.

NateTheGreat

• SF Bay Area, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2020, 11:33:44 PM »
I got outbid. I'd be interested in cuttings when you prune next. This guy fruited his in Socal, but no report on the taste.

https://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/13252-ficus-from-new-caledonia/

Do you have only the red stipule one, or the white as well?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk