Author Topic: Is this Mango tree "V" trunk OK?  (Read 3203 times)

Homeby5

• Key Largo, Florida
    • View Profile
Is this Mango tree "V" trunk OK?
« on: September 02, 2020, 09:37:00 AM »
My three year old VP Mango tree seems to have two trunks. Is this normal. My main concern is if one trunk is the root stock and will not produce VP Mangoes. FYI....last year was the first year it bloomed. It had little mangoes all over it but most dropped off. I only got aboy a dozen and they were all on the lower left side of the tree.
Thanks

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Is this Mango tree "V" trunk OK?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2020, 10:22:55 AM »
Did you purchase this as a grafted tree?  Has that second trunk always been there?
- Rob

Homeby5

• Key Largo, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2020, 10:48:54 AM »
Did you purchase this as a grafted tree?  Has that second trunk always been there?
I bought it from Lowes so I don't know if it is grafted or not. i just assumed so. Also....I am not sure how long that second trunk has been there. I am ignorant of these things and when I planted it I didn't even know the difference between grafted or non grafted. I am just starting to learn some of the science.

Homeby5

• Key Largo, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2020, 10:51:43 AM »
Here is an image I pulled off the internet that shows a dual trunk tree.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2020, 11:57:30 AM »
Here is an image I pulled off the internet that shows a dual trunk tree.

The difference is in the internet picture,  the split trunk is above ground.   Yours appears as twin trunks from below ground (not a split or "v") appearing as if its a seeding with multiple trunks originating from the seed.
- Rob

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2020, 12:35:36 PM »
looks like 2 trees to me, from same seed.

if not, then need to uncover part of the trunk

Satya

• North Miami Beach, FL , Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • Growing rare tropicals and fruit trees.
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2020, 01:51:00 PM »
Yes i think the flair/root crown is buried or covered with mulch. Please remove mulch from the base of the tree and expose the flair. Then you will see if there are two trees there.

stephen

• Los Angeles, CA, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2020, 02:03:54 PM »
I agree with everyone's assessment. Are the leaves the same on both sides? I would maybe keep it for now until you find out what fruit it bears.

cbss_daviefl

• USA, Southwest Ranches,FL 33331, 10B
    • View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2020, 02:29:35 PM »
Either way, I would remove the tree on the right. Unless you have 1 ft of mulch, the right tree is likely a late developing embryo from the rootstock's seed.  If it is not, it is really doing much for the tree. It is a VP and will not be disrupted by the removal of a secondary limb.  I think the nursery that propagated the tree missed removing that when it was in the field and again when shipped to the Lowes store. I have seen the same thing happen in trees I got from PIN.  I ignored some potted Venus trees for a summer and had to remove a few independent rootstock shoots.

Brandon

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2020, 02:49:38 PM »
Get rid of the one on the right unless you want to experiment and see what kind of fruit it produces
John

Homeby5

• Key Largo, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2020, 05:06:28 PM »
Would there be an issue if I waited until next year and see what fruit it bears? Is there any harm in that?
Thanks

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2020, 06:27:03 PM »
Would there be an issue if I waited until next year and see what fruit it bears? Is there any harm in that?
Thanks

You could but to me the bigger issue is what do you actually have.  If its grafted, that second trunk should not have come up...then again, its 2020 so nothing is normal.
- Rob

Homeby5

• Key Largo, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2020, 07:15:13 PM »
Ok....as Stephen suggested, I looked at the leaves and here is a picture of the leaves from both trunks. The one on the left is the VP because it produced about a dozen mangoes this year. The one on the right is the mystery trunk. Definitely a different leaf....if that means anything. I still am leaning towards leaving it and see what it produces unless there is a downside. Can anyone tell me if there is a downside to letting this smaller trunk grow?

stephen

• Los Angeles, CA, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2020, 07:58:39 PM »
Are the differences in the scent when you crush the leaves?

Ok....as Stephen suggested, I looked at the leaves and here is a picture of the leaves from both trunks. The one on the left is the VP because it produced about a dozen mangoes this year. The one on the right is the mystery trunk. Definitely a different leaf....if that means anything. I still am leaning towards leaving it and see what it produces unless there is a downside. Can anyone tell me if there is a downside to letting this smaller trunk grow?

saltyreefer

• Palm Bay, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2020, 08:23:34 PM »
To me the picture looks like a large branch was allowed to grow from under the graft and the actual tree was planted too deep. That's what it looks like, but crap, anything can be possible lol

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2020, 08:27:25 PM »
To me the picture looks like a large branch was allowed to grow from under the graft and the actual tree was planted too deep. That's what it looks like, but crap, anything can be possible lol

If the graft was buried that far under the ground the tree would most likely have health issues or died. From the angle, it does not look like a branch but a sister trunk.
- Rob

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2020, 08:38:45 PM »
Did the right trunk flower at all? If the right side is another shoot from the original root
stock it may not flower in one more year. It is taking allot of energy now that could be going to
make the VP side more productive.
If you wanted a VP in the first place?

saltyreefer

• Palm Bay, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2020, 08:47:30 PM »

If the graft was buried that far under the ground the tree would most likely have health issues or died. From the angle, it does not look like a branch but a sister trunk.

Just had to mention the possibility. I am not seeing a graft above ground though.
I have also bought trees that for no reason I can't kill and some I have to baby along.

Homeby5

• Key Largo, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2020, 08:59:28 PM »
Did the right trunk flower at all? If the right side is another shoot from the original root
stock it may not flower in one more year. It is taking allot of energy now that could be going to
make the VP side more productive.
If you wanted a VP in the first place?
I am not sure. As I said...I didn't realize this was even a possibility until a week ago because I was very ignorant of this stuff until as of late. Let me ask....since the smaller trunk is also growing fast like the VP is.....does that indicate that it probably is a fast growing rootstock if in fact it is below the graft?
As far as planted too deep...I don't think so. The tree has always grown very well and looks great. It produced in the 3rd year (maybe the second summer) and if I haven't had to keep it pruned...it would be 20ft tall by now. So I think it's pretty healthy and was planted at the right depth?

saltyreefer

• Palm Bay, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2020, 09:18:08 PM »
I agree it looks healthy! I would let it grow just like it is and see if it blooms everywhere, maybe lol The lack of the graft knot is odd.

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2020, 09:19:15 PM »
The first thing I notice is the right side's trunk is half the diameter of the VP side.
If only the left side produced a dozen fruit it may have held 2 dozen if it wasn't
supporting the other trunk. 
« Last Edit: September 02, 2020, 09:22:03 PM by achetadomestica »

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2020, 09:21:03 PM »
Thanks
I don't see any harm in that.
John

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2020, 10:14:57 PM »
Pull back all the mulch from the trunk, about 12" out (mulch shouldnt be up against the trunk anyway) till you are at ground level and take and post a picture.
- Rob

Homeby5

• Key Largo, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2020, 09:39:19 AM »
Pull back all the mulch from the trunk, about 12" out (mulch shouldnt be up against the trunk anyway) till you are at ground level and take and post a picture.
Here is a pic. You can definitely see where it joins right above the dirt. I can't find a graph mark but I don't know what I am looking at?

Satya

• North Miami Beach, FL , Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • Growing rare tropicals and fruit trees.
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2020, 10:12:01 AM »
The root flare is where the first roots emerge from the trunk, in all my trees it is on the surface of the dirt and exposed - see pic, your's seems like is dug under the dirt? right now it is hard to say how much of the trunk is under the dirt level, if it is a foot under may be the graft line is in as well?