Author Topic: Is this Mango tree "V" trunk OK?  (Read 3293 times)

Homeby5

• Key Largo, Florida
    • View Profile
Re: Is this Mango tree "V" trunk OK?
« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2020, 10:45:12 AM »
The root flare is where the first roots emerge from the trunk, in all my trees it is on the surface of the dirt and exposed - see pic, your's seems like is dug under the dirt? right now it is hard to say how much of the trunk is under the dirt level, if it is a foot under may be the graft line is in as well?

But even if the root flair and the graft line is a foot under the dirt....doesn't the pic show that the point of the "v"....where the trunk splits....would be above any graft? Doesn't that mean that both trunks are in fact VP's? Not arguing...just trying to understand.

Satya

• North Miami Beach, FL , Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • Growing rare tropicals and fruit trees.
« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2020, 11:06:42 AM »
The root flare is where the first roots emerge from the trunk, in all my trees it is on the surface of the dirt and exposed - see pic, your's seems like is dug under the dirt? right now it is hard to say how much of the trunk is under the dirt level, if it is a foot under may be the graft line is in as well?

But even if the root flair and the graft line is a foot under the dirt....doesn't the pic show that the point of the "v"....where the trunk splits....would be above any graft? Doesn't that mean that both trunks are in fact VP's? Not arguing...just trying to understand.

Yes i agree, since the two trunks have entirely different leaves, it is indeed a grafted tree and not a seedling and that the one with bigger trunk is the grafted trunk since it fruited already vs the smaller trunk that never flowered, so the graft should be over the "V" and not under. Perhaps the graft line is above the  V somewhere, if you look closely you may see.

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2020, 11:16:45 AM »
the smaller side tree could very well be turpentine. makes good little stringy mangoes.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2020, 12:26:58 PM »
I am truly having a hard time seeing any evidence of a graft on the large trunk (on Homeby's tree)
- Rob

Homeby5

• Key Largo, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2020, 03:58:25 PM »
I am truly having a hard time seeing any evidence of a graft on the large trunk (on Homeby's tree)
Yeah....me too. I'm a newbie but I'm confused. Wouldn't the graft be at the very point of the V if the smaller trunk is indeed the rootstock? Am I understanding right?

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 03, 2020, 04:08:37 PM »
Yeah....me too. I'm a newbie but I'm confused. Wouldn't the graft be at the very point of the V if the smaller trunk is indeed the rootstock? Am I understanding right?

The graft would almost 100% definitely be above the point where the smaller branch attached to the larger (if it were below, you would have the graft well buried underground and tree would not be healthy or happy).  Commercially grafted trees in Florida almost alwats have the graft within the first 12 inches of the trunk, usually around first 6-8 inches or so.  I see nothing in the two pictures you posted that resemble the evidence of a graft. 

Maybe post direct pictures of the first 12-15 inches of the larger trunk.  That would give a better determination.

To me, from what I see now, it looks like a seedling (but I cannot clearly see the lower part of the larger trunk).
- Rob

cbss_daviefl

• USA, Southwest Ranches,FL 33331, 10B
    • View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
« Reply #31 on: September 03, 2020, 04:14:45 PM »
I don't think this is a ZHPP propagated tree. Probably PIN since it was bought at Lowes.  Since trunk is straight, cleft grafted and grew out from terminal bud. It wouldn't be all that visible in a low res picture. Leaves are different on the two trunks.  The tree has fruited within 3 years.  All signs point to grafted tree with a rootstock sucker...
Brandon

fliptop

• SWFL10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 03, 2020, 04:51:46 PM »
That *would* help partially solve the mystery, eh? Was the fruited fruit indeed Valencia Pride? Homeby5, have you ever had a Valencia Pride from outside sources? And if so, was that what your tree produced?

Homeby5

• Key Largo, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 03, 2020, 05:09:55 PM »
That *would* help partially solve the mystery, eh? Was the fruited fruit indeed Valencia Pride? Homeby5, have you ever had a Valencia Pride from outside sources? And if so, was that what your tree produced?
I am almost 100% sure the fruit was a VP. The fruit looked exactly like one from the photos i have looked up, the tree is a vigorous grower and I had my friend look at the Mango's earlier this year...and he knows mango's very well and he also told me that it was a VP fruit.
Teach me something about grafts....doesn't a graft produce a new trunk where ever it is grafted? If so..then the graft point would have to be at the V...right? This would be where the bigger trunk is coming off the smaller trunk. If so....how do they normally stop the rootstock from growing on all grafted trees? Thanks

saltyreefer

• Palm Bay, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 03, 2020, 08:19:54 PM »
99% of the time its very evident where the graft is, you can't miss it.

saltyreefer

• Palm Bay, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 03, 2020, 08:29:39 PM »

There is a prominent line about 2" up from the roots, maybe that's it? If it is then it's a really clean graft.

saltyreefer

• Palm Bay, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 03, 2020, 08:32:39 PM »
I would just let it grow and enjoy it. If you are really worried plant another and enjoy both lol Can't have enough  ;D

Seanny

• Garden Grove, Orange County, California, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 03, 2020, 09:16:24 PM »
The barks look different.

Homeby5

• Key Largo, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 04, 2020, 08:14:24 PM »
The barks look different.
Yes...and look at this picture from above guys. To me this definitely looks like two trees. Is there any chance that the "wrong" rootstock tree would be any good or should I just take it down now and not wait any longer?

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 04, 2020, 08:31:38 PM »
If it's the only mango tree you have producing fruit then it's wasting energy and
potentially lowering your overall yield.
The tree looks great and will be fine if you leave it. Hell it's September already
in 2-3 months it will be flowering again and you can look closer at what each side is doing.
There is a good chance it is turpentine and you can get rid of it?  If you have plenty
of mangos I would be inclined to leave it at least until the Spring.

Homeby5

• Key Largo, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 04, 2020, 09:07:49 PM »
If it's the only mango tree you have producing fruit then it's wasting energy and
potentially lowering your overall yield.
The tree looks great and will be fine if you leave it. Hell it's September already
in 2-3 months it will be flowering again and you can look closer at what each side is doing.
There is a good chance it is turpentine and you can get rid of it?  If you have plenty
of mangos I would be inclined to leave it at least until the Spring.
for
Yes...it's my only producer. This year was the first and I got about a dozen after all of the little ones fell off.
I planted three more trees this year but I assume it will take at least a couple years for these to produce.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk