Author Topic: Erdon Lee and Giant Seedless Lychhess a dilemma  (Read 8698 times)

Frujt and Nut

• Mackay Queensland Australia
    • View Profile
Re: Erdon Lee and Giant Seedless Lychhess a dilemma
« Reply #75 on: December 31, 2020, 07:54:43 PM »
Very similar. Look the same and taste the same. Might be luck of the draw. Should have other seedling plants fruit in the next 12 months.

LycheeLust

• I need the seedless lychee
    • Los Angeles, 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 31, 2020, 08:41:27 PM »
Very similar. Look the same and taste the same. Might be luck of the draw. Should have other seedling plants fruit in the next 12 months.

How long from germination to fruit?

Frujt and Nut

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 31, 2020, 09:30:51 PM »
7 years

Stevo

• Australia Far North Queensland Cairns 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 31, 2020, 10:15:29 PM »
Have just finished picking my Erdon Lee and seedless Sanlinsue. The 2 seedless varieties in Australia are Sanlinsue and Suelinsan. The names are derivatives of the growers daughters names.  He is a friend and neighbour. The name Sansuelin is not a variety. Of note have also picked fruit from a seedling of Erdon Lee the last couple of years.  The tree is about 7-8 years old. Very difference if any in size or taste from the parent Erdon Lee.

This guy must be telling lies as he calls one of his seedless varieties Sansulin

https://www.growcom.com.au/portfolio/rainbow-orchard/

Frujt and Nut

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 31, 2020, 11:54:12 PM »
I'm guessing that they miss quoted him as I checked with Tibby last week and the names he gave were the 2 I put in the post and that is what he has told me over the last 10 years or so.  I will check with him over the next couple of days and update.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 01, 2021, 04:59:59 AM »
Sansulin is seedless and was imported from China to Australia a number of times with Tibby being featured in the stories as he obviously did it the right way and propagated. Linsansu is not seedless but has a small seed like several others. I have posted links of what they look like inside. There are allegedly several other seedless varieties around of lower quality. How they got their names is a bit hazy in most cases with the recent types.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 01, 2021, 05:00:21 AM »
Sansulin is seedless and was imported from China to Australia a number of times with Tibby being featured in the stories as he obviously did it the right way and propagated. Linsansu is not seedless but has a small seed like several others. I have posted links of what they look like inside. There are allegedly several other seedless varieties around of lower quality. How they got their names is a bit hazy in most cases with the recent types.

Frujt and Nut

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 02, 2021, 03:03:29 AM »
My apologies  Mike.  I spent the afternoon with Tibby and confirmed the names and spellings. The 2 seedless varieties are Suelinsan and Sansuelin. Combination of his daughters names.  Picked a few Suelinsan today. that would have been 50 grams. On another note did you get your male Russell Sweet to grow.  I'm still looking.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 02, 2021, 04:22:31 AM »
Daleys and Lychee Australia have good pix and call them Sansuelin and Linsansue. Trials in Australia were optimistic with lychee seedlings showing they often grow true and fruit quite fast. Trials in China came up with more pessimistic outcomes so the jury is out on the reliability of seedlings. They are certainly better than not having the variety at all.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 02, 2021, 04:48:21 AM »
https://www.australianlychee.com.au/about-lychees/varieties
There are correct pics of what many of the varieties look like in the link. Scroll through common and established varieties and some new ones pop up.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 17, 2021, 07:37:27 AM »
Just as an update my planted seedless lychee is flourishing. As I speak seedless lychee plants are being fanned across the countryside in increasing numbers. There are a number of excellent new improved lychees that cant get the spotlight they deserve due to the shadows cast by erdon lee and especially the big seedless.