Author Topic: Seedling Mango tree thread  (Read 27585 times)

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
Re: Seedling Mango tree thread
« Reply #150 on: August 24, 2022, 02:07:10 PM »
The fruit from two seedling trees on my cul-de-sac is very good, possibly even worthy of propagation.  The seeds came from the same tree, but they're not alike. They're both better than the source tree.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2022, 02:39:23 PM by johnb51 »
John

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: August 24, 2022, 02:22:28 PM »
The fruit from two seedling trees on my cul-de-sac is very good, possibly even worthy of propagation.  They came from the same tree, but they're not alike. They're both better than the source tree.

Any indication of superior shelf life? How would you describe them?

Johnny Eat Fruit

• So. California, Huntington Beach. Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: August 24, 2022, 02:25:18 PM »
I started germinating some mango seedling trees in the summer of 2021 and thus far they are doing well in #5 pots.

Here are a few photos as examples. The first two are Pina Colada and the last one is a Sweet Tart Seedling.

Johnny

Pina Colada Mango Seedling #1

Pina Colada Mango Seedling #2

Sweet Tart Seedling

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #153 on: August 24, 2022, 03:03:16 PM »
The fruit from two seedling trees on my cul-de-sac is very good, possibly even worthy of propagation.  The seeds came from the same tree, but they're not alike. They're both better than the source tree.

Any indication of superior shelf life? How would you describe them?
Seedling #1: Early season, small fruit, turns yellow when fully ripe and separates easily from the tree, flesh is yellow too, flavor is best when fully tree-ripened, traditional mango flavor with strong but pleasant resin component, very sweet with extra kick of acidity.  A little fiber.  Ripe fruit will keep in fridge.  The squirrels seem to adore this mango and will spoil half the fruit if given the chance.  Moderately vigorous with dense canopy.

Seedling #2: Mid-season, large fruit, beautiful color, flesh is deep orange, flavor is classic mango with maybe a little stone fruit and mild resin, very sweet. A little fiber. Ripe fruit will keep in fridge.  Squirrels mostly leave it alone.  Tall, vigorous tree.
John

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #154 on: August 24, 2022, 03:18:25 PM »
Seedling #2 fruit

Seedling #1 tree (Tree trimmers cut off all the lower branches for no good reason!)

Seedling #2 tree

« Last Edit: August 24, 2022, 03:22:30 PM by johnb51 »
John

SHV

• Escondido, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: August 24, 2022, 04:48:29 PM »
I started germinating some mango seedling trees in the summer of 2021 and thus far they are doing well in #5 pots.

Here are a few photos as examples. The first two are Pina Colada and the last one is a Sweet Tart Seedling.

Johnny

Pina Colada Mango Seedling #1

Pina Colada Mango Seedling #2

Sweet Tart Seedling

Those are some nice looking 1 year old seedlings. Strong growth for one year in a pot. If you need to make room for other plants and want to sell one of those Piña colada, you let me know 😉. Been trying to get a seedling of this variety to drop in the ground for a couple years now.

Johnny Eat Fruit

• So. California, Huntington Beach. Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: August 24, 2022, 05:46:34 PM »
I will likely transfer my mango seedling trees into a larger #7 pot next month and then in the summer of 2023 graft them onto existing trees already in the ground. I will likely sell some of the mango seedlings late next summer as I am out of room at my location. Mainly want to use them for free fresh scions. Drop me a message later next year and perhaps we can work out a deal.

Johnny

Ed Fisher

• Stuart, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: August 26, 2022, 04:37:22 PM »
My first post (page 6) posted- but my 2nd post with 6 pics was prohibited by Cleartalk as spam!? Any help?

Ed Fisher

• Stuart, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: August 26, 2022, 04:48:51 PM »
Checked my Java Script is enabled but still get the Clean Talk -"Spam Blocked" when I try to post?

Ed Fisher

• Stuart, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: August 26, 2022, 11:53:47 PM »
I've grown about 50 seedlings in 1 gallon pots from this June's crop of a big mango mother tree in our condo landscape and would like opinions as to its variety.  Since it's at least 40 years old, I figure its a Haden hybrid.  Fruit (see pic) flesh is yellow/orange, delicious, no acidity, totally fibreless. Monoembryonic embryo average 2 inches long and about 10% grow multiple (up to 7) shoots.  If seedling gets cropped by a rabbit - below all leaves - multiple shoots  emerge within 10 days (see pic).

Mother Tree

Last of 2nd crop Mother Tree fruit

Fruit (July 4) from only mango trees (all inside 90' radius circle) within 3 blocks radius of Mother Tree (red fruit)

Single embryo - multiple shoots

Multiple shoots - bare rooted

Closeup - multiple shoots

Rabbit-cropped (no leaves) stem - multiple shoots (after 3-week recovery)

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: August 31, 2022, 02:30:37 PM »
I planted the seeds I got from the fruit from FLNative. I only got a single Julie fruit, but of all of the fruit it had my preferred flavor similar to the resin in Kesar. I planted it, and the leaves of the seedling smell very similar to Gary descendants (50/50 Bar).

The only Likely Gary descendants from FLNative's yard are Coconut Cream, Cotton Candy, M4, or Honey Kiss.

Going to grow it out and cross my fingers.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2022, 02:42:45 PM by Oolie »

mangoba

• US - Mediterranean
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: August 31, 2022, 05:55:00 PM »
I planted the seeds I got from the fruit from FLNative. I only got a single Julie fruit, but of all of the fruit it had my preferred flavor similar to the resin in Kesar. I planted it, and the leaves of the seedling smell very similar to Gary descendants (50/50 Bar).

The only Likely Gary descendants from FLNative's yard are Coconut Cream, Cotton Candy, M4, or Honey Kiss.

Going to grow it out and cross my fingers.

I myself have a LZ seed from Frank also which gave 2 seedlings, one smells very much like LZ but the more vigorous one has an Indian type spiciness. I feel terrible that most seedlings end up dying in my poor soil but the thought of having a LZ with some spiciness makes me have beautiful dreams until I lose this seedling :)

SHV

• Escondido, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: September 04, 2022, 11:14:21 PM »
Cambodiana Mango Seedling
After a couple years of producing, I thought this would be a good time for a write-up.  My tree produced fruit after 5 years from seed but I waited for year 7 to confirm mango quality and size.  This tree consistently puts out 6 ounce size fruit and one of the earliest to ripen in my yard. It’s a strong producer of disease free fruit, flowers, and leaves.  Lanky grower that needs a good pruning. I’ll get to it someday…right.  If left to ripen on the tree, the fruit turn a beautiful orange with yellow-orange fiberless flesh and brix in low 20s. Can also be picked early with a hint of yellow and they ripen on the counter just fine.  Flavor is pure indochinese.  Apparently this is the OG of all other indochinese types we love from Zill.  It’s like a Sweet Tart mango, but smaller.  Polyembryonic seed, however, I only have luck growing out the primary shoot in the subsequent generations. I have planted out several seedlings of this seedling on my property due to the favorable characteristics of the mother.  Another win for us SoCA seedling growers.

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: September 04, 2022, 11:40:47 PM »
After a couple years of producing, I thought this would be a good time for a write-up.  My tree produced fruit after 5 years from seed but I waited for year 7 to confirm mango quality and size.  This tree consistently puts out 6 ounce size fruit and one of the earliest to ripen in my yard. It’s a strong producer of disease free fruit, flowers, and leaves.  Lanky grower that needs a good pruning. I’ll get to it someday…right.  If left to ripen on the tree, the fruit turn a beautiful orange with yellow-orange fiberless flesh and brix in low 20s. Can also be picked early with a hint of yellow and they ripen on the counter just fine.  Flavor is pure indochinese.  Apparently this is the OG of all other indochinese types we love from Zill.  It’s like a Sweet Tart mango, but smaller.  Polyembryonic seed, however, I only have luck growing out the primary shoot in the subsequent generations. I have planted out several seedlings of this seedling on my property due to the favorable characteristics of the mother.  Another win for us SoCA seedling growers.

Roughly how many mango tree are you growing? 
Brad Spaugh

SHV

• Escondido, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: September 05, 2022, 12:28:52 AM »
I have roughly 20 seedling trees of differing varieties ages 4-8 years, so at or nearing fruiting stage. I also have approximately 200+ seedlings between 1-3 years of age planted out, mostly Kent and Ataulfo seedlings for scheduled top working after 3 years in ground.   

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #165 on: September 05, 2022, 11:05:41 AM »
I have roughly 20 seedling trees of differing varieties ages 4-8 years, so at or nearing fruiting stage. I also have approximately 200+ seedlings between 1-3 years of age planted out, mostly Kent and Ataulfo seedlings for scheduled top working after 3 years in ground.

How much acerage is the 200 new ones on?  What kind of space between trees? 
Brad Spaugh

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: September 05, 2022, 06:25:18 PM »

Great report and success. Well done.

MasonG31

• Southern California Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: September 05, 2022, 07:03:45 PM »

That's a beautiful fruit.  Thanks for showing it.  Have you ever tried growing Zill Indochinese (ZINC) seedlings? 

SHV

• Escondido, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: September 05, 2022, 10:56:24 PM »

I have planted the new seedlings on approximately 1 acre with 6' x 6' x 12' spacing on a terraced hillside.  I really like the high density approach where duplicate varieties are grown next to each other and as they eventually grow into each other, cut one down and allow one to occupy the space.  I suspect it will be many years before they get to this size, if ever.  The first year I planted about 100 seedlings and only 3 survived gophers and winter conditions.  The following year, I planted nearly as many in homemade hardware cloth baskets and had a much higher survival rate.  Now, a sustainable water source will be the next obstacle to overcome with our wells running dry.

SHV

• Escondido, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: September 05, 2022, 11:03:53 PM »

That's a beautiful fruit.  Thanks for showing it.  Have you ever tried growing Zill Indochinese (ZINC) seedlings?

I have only tasted ZINC once and was a big fan.  I tried to save the seed, but it did not produce a strong seedling so I trashed it.  Not to say ZINC is a poor choice for seedling growth.  Just some mango seeds produce weak seedings regardless of the variety. 

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #170 on: September 05, 2022, 11:17:40 PM »

I have planted the new seedlings on approximately 1 acre with 6' x 6' x 12' spacing on a terraced hillside.  I really like the high density approach where duplicate varieties are grown next to each other and as they eventually grow into each other, cut one down and allow one to occupy the space.  I suspect it will be many years before they get to this size, if ever.  The first year I planted about 100 seedlings and only 3 survived gophers and winter conditions.  The following year, I planted nearly as many in homemade hardware cloth baskets and had a much higher survival rate.  Now, a sustainable water source will be the next obstacle to overcome with our wells running dry.

crap man that sucks about the water.  Hopefully you have city water as backup.  No city water available here, if the ground dries up its game over here. 
Brad Spaugh

MasonG31

• Southern California Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: September 06, 2022, 11:26:23 AM »

Sorry to hear about the wells running dry.  Hopefully you can find an alternative.  In your experience, do mango trees need more, less, or the same amount of water as avocado trees?

gozp

• West Hills, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: September 06, 2022, 02:50:29 PM »

Priyoor mango seedling.

gozp

• West Hills, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: September 06, 2022, 02:53:16 PM »

M4 seedling

SHV

• Escondido, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: September 11, 2022, 11:24:44 PM »
Carrie Seedling
First year that this tree has produced fruit, and boy, was it saving up for a decent first crop. It’s a 6 year old seedling that flowered last year, but a late chill killed all the flowers.  The flowers and leaves are also very susceptible to powdery mildew. Fortunately, it throws out tons of flowers so it has plenty of opportunity to fruit.  I really had to hand thin the fruit but still could have pulled more fruit to size up those retained.  I picked three of the 30 plus fruit hanging once the stem dried up and slight color change. The result was 3/4 lb fruit, still very green outside, but some give with firm pressure after 4 days on the counter. No discernible smell indicating ripeness. The fruit has a thick outside skin with deep orange flesh.  Completely fiberless. Brix averaged around 25 between the three fruit tasted.  The flavor is very reminiscent of Dwarf Hawaiian, but different texture and just a hint of acid.  Overall, I loved this fruit. If this is what Carrie tasted like, I can’t imagine what off-flavors people detect to fall into the hater camp. I might try letting a few tree ripen to see what off flavors develop if not picked at the proper time. Another fantastic seedling.