Author Topic: What’s wrong with Papaya relatives?  (Read 933 times)

TomekK

• In search of Theobromas
    • Vienna, Virginia Zone 7a
    • View Profile
What’s wrong with Papaya relatives?
« on: October 23, 2020, 09:33:04 AM »
A few weeks ago I got a bunch of Vasconcellea plants of various species. One of the species, growing in tall and thin containers, haven’t grown at all, and two of three have lost all their leaves. The plants seem to be trying to produce new leaves, but they turn yellow and fall off before maturing. Another species has been growing very slowly, but has nice and very deep green leaves.

The species most important to me has at first grown spectacularly. After growing a stunted leaf or two after the stress of shipping, they quickly grew new and bigger leaves. Some of the leaves at the bottom fell off, but that I excepted. A few days ago, however, it seemed as if they just stopped or slowed down. What was going to be the largest and most complex leaf of the largest plant, just isn’t seeming to grow and mature. And many of the lower mature leaves, and even a newer leaf, started to have yellow tips. It’s as if they stopped growing, and the leaves from the bottom are still falling off.

What is this? I think I have narrowed it down to two possibilities, though it could be something else I don’t know. First, they are root bound and need bigger pots, but that doesn’t make sense because the smallest one still stopped growing and it’s small for the pot.

What I think is more likely, though, is that they need water. But I usually see that all the leaves are flopped with other plants that are drying out, does this happen with papayas? I am very scared of overwatering them and getting root rot, that’s what killed every single one of my previous attempts at papayas (albeit those I grew from seeds, these are bigger). I have not watered them since I got them, and yesterday I felt the soil about halfway down the pot was very dry. I watered them slightly yesterday, but today another leaf from the biggest plant is starting to turn yellow.

Please advise.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
Re: What’s wrong with Papaya relatives?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2020, 09:50:55 AM »
I don't think they are ready for Arlington National yet. Looks like a light, heat or root issue and wilting isn't usual. If they are well drained and watered frequently a fungal root issue is still possible. Have you sacrificed any to look at the roots?

TomekK

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2020, 10:39:15 AM »
They aren’t watered frequently, I haven’t watered them since I got them. Do you think it could be under watering? The soil was very dry, and I watered them yesterday, and it seemed at least one of the leaves perked up a little more on the smallest plant. Though none of the leaves seem wilted, they just die from the bottom-turn yellow and fall off.

lebmung

• Romania, Bucharest,7b (inside city 8a)
    • View Profile
    • Plante tropicale
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2020, 11:59:32 AM »
In winter with low levels of light the lose leaves.
What species do you have. In the pictures it's only paladensis, which is fuzzy and not easy to grow.

TomekK

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2020, 12:03:36 PM »
I have them where they get plenty of light, right next to big south facing windows. I have palandensis, a hybrid of palandensis and pubescens, and a hybrid of monoica and pubescens.

I am thinking this might be because of not enough water-they were growing very well, and just slowed down a week ago. Do you think this could be the answer? I did not water them since I got them for fear of root rot, I only slightly watered them yesterday.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2020, 04:58:00 PM »
Monoica is easy to grow an is resilient. Might be as simple as underwatering if the growth medium is well drained.

TomekK

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2020, 10:51:02 PM »
The monoica hybrids are growing great now, but a little slow. The others are what I’m worried about. I think I’ll water them a bit more tomorrow, hopefully that’s all they need. If it’s light or heat I can’t do anything about it, and if it’s a root problem then it’s too late.

lebmung

• Romania, Bucharest,7b (inside city 8a)
    • View Profile
    • Plante tropicale
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2020, 04:46:44 PM »
i grow many vascobcellea. I water them once week, they grow very good at this time of year.
Mountain papayas stay outside at 5-20c they like this temperature.
Paladensis is more tricky likes humid 15-20 C no more or less. Babaco it's the easiest to grow.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk