Author Topic: Garcinia madruno harvest  (Read 2386 times)

buddyguygreen

• Keeper of Earth
  • Zone Creator
    • Citrus Ridge, FL,
    • View Profile
    • Knowledge of the Masters
Garcinia madruno harvest
« on: October 30, 2020, 08:30:58 PM »
Tree made 5 perfect fruit, second year fruiting but later harvest than last time by 2 months and it still has 2 small fruits developing but not sure they will stay through winter.

Super sweet and delicious, tie between mangosteen as favorite garcinia in my opinion.

cbss_daviefl

• USA, Southwest Ranches,FL 33331, 10B
    • View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
Re: Garcinia madruno harvest
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2020, 08:50:30 PM »
Congrats!  The leaves look small compared to what I grow as madruno and the trees I have eaten from in Puerto Rico. The Puerto Rico fruits were also twice the size of your bigger fruit. But I guess madruno may be a generic name for bumpy garcinias.

Do you have any idea of how old the tree is? When it flowers, does it produce a bunch of flowers, most of which fall off or does it only produce a few flowers, of which most turn into fruit? My flowering tree and another I know of seem to have male and female flowers.
Brandon

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2020, 09:49:01 PM »
I think this species is one of he tastiest and the fruit will get bigger as the tree gets older. The common name is confusing as quite a few species get called madrono in Ecuador.

BestDay

• Long Beach, CA 10B 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2020, 01:27:28 AM »
Congratulations, that is a nice looking plant. Is it in a 25 gallon pot?  How tall and wide is it?  I have a plant but it is only two feet tall.

Bill

shot

• usa fl bokeelia 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2020, 11:50:47 AM »
Had my first charichuela fruit in a long time,I neglected that poor tree to long .Now looks very good.Fruit is similar to your round one but lemon shape and larger.Taste very nice.I think the seed was from Adolf Grimals tree.That tree was moved to fruit and spice park where it died(stress and cold winters at that time)

buddyguygreen

• Keeper of Earth
  • Zone Creator
    • Citrus Ridge, FL,
    • View Profile
    • Knowledge of the Masters
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2020, 01:04:17 PM »
Congrats!  The leaves look small compared to what I grow as madruno and the trees I have eaten from in Puerto Rico. The Puerto Rico fruits were also twice the size of your bigger fruit. But I guess madruno may be a generic name for bumpy garcinias.

Do you have any idea of how old the tree is? When it flowers, does it produce a bunch of flowers, most of which fall off or does it only produce a few flowers, of which most turn into fruit? My flowering tree and another I know of seem to have male and female flowers.
the trees about 7 years old growing in a 15g pot, it lost maybe 20% of its flowers but the majority turned to fruit, maybe 4 fruit didn’t develop and fell off early. The tree struggled for the first few years before really starting to grow, I’ve always had it outside here in central Florida so I’m sure the climate is keeping it smaller than what it normally would be.
Congratulations, that is a nice looking plant. Is it in a 25 gallon pot?  How tall and wide is it?  I have a plant but it is only two feet tall.

Bill
its like 3 feet tall maybe 2 feet wide in a 15 g pot.
Had my first charichuela fruit in a long time,I neglected that poor tree to long .Now looks very good.Fruit is similar to your round one but lemon shape and larger.Taste very nice.I think the seed was from Adolf Grimals tree.That tree was moved to fruit and spice park where it died(stress and cold winters at that time)
These seeds were from one of our South American connects on here, the tree was huge and loaded with fruit that were double the size, I’m sure because of age.

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2020, 01:16:48 PM »
Wow! Exciting to hear about others fruiting g. madruno/charichuelo.

Added a tree to our collection this summer, it seems quite happy here in 10b.

How much variation is there in fruit quality?

cbss_daviefl

• View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2020, 02:27:52 PM »
I don't think there is a lot of variation in flavor but I have only had fruit from two different trees. Both were very similar to achachairu. One was round and the other lemon shaped. 

I have one that I just planted in the ground a week ago that was growing in my shade house. It is 9 ft tall by 9 ft wide. I built a shade structure to help acclimate it to full sun. Every day I take down the shade cloth and put it back up. I  started with 1 hour of full exposure. I have added a few minutes per day. I am up to 2 hours a day. I can already see sun damage.  This tree has flowered 4 or 5 times but did not set fruit.  It is grafted and the branches above the bottom most are from the graft. The odd thing is that the branches below the graft are the ones that flowered. The tree is around 6 years old.

Brandon

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2020, 05:59:09 PM »
That is a beauty Brandon!
This is my 6-7 footer going crazy with interior branching now and wishing it had a good spot in the ground to get out of this 25. Still never seen a flower. Originally from Ethan , so I am guessing PR sourced seed.
Should I try grafting a side branch?

cbss_daviefl

• View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2020, 08:13:18 PM »
Your tree looks great. Your tree could be close to flowering. One of the other seedlings, from the same batch as the tree I planted that is being grown by another forum member, has already flowered. I have a third still in a pot that has not flowered yet. Your tree looks to be the same species as what I have. Your tree could be from the same source. Chances are good that Ethan got the seeds from one of the two trees I have eaten from, if he got them from Puerto Rico. 

Personally, I think grafting garcinias is not necessarily beneficial. In Luc's, it really slows down the growth when grafted on Luc's seedlings and achachairu seedlings. Maybe Imbe rootstock works better but I would be concerned about delayed incompatibility failure.  In mangosteen, if you don't know what you are doing when selecting a scion, the tree will grow sideways instead of growing upwards.  In this madruno tree, it has not shortened the time to fruit.  Time to fruiting in seedlings is variable and sometimes a seedling can fruit in the same amount of time as a grafted tree.  I would graft garcinia when seeds of a desired species or selection are not available or when the species is dioecious to ensure you have both sexes.

That is a beauty Brandon!
This is my 6-7 footer going crazy with interior branching now and wishing it had a good spot in the ground to get out of this 25. Still never seen a flower. Originally from Ethan , so I am guessing PR sourced seed.
Should I try grafting a side branch?

Brandon

dwfl

• Bokeelia
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2020, 09:54:46 AM »
I think this species is one of he tastiest and the fruit will get bigger as the tree gets older. The common name is confusing as quite a few species get called madrono in Ecuador.

Yep madroño is a common name for some Garcinia species in SA. I believe buddyguygreen has "Charichuelo" aka Garcinia acuminata which has smaller leaves than Garcinia madruno but a similar looking (albeit a bit smaller) fruit. "Madruno" would refer to Garcinia madruno, and cbss_daviefl shared photos of that species in this thread.

New_Jungle

• USA, Hi,Hilo, 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2020, 03:13:42 PM »
Ohh!!! I have a tree (well, seedling lol)! Glad to hear it’s good! How would you say it compares to an achachiru?
The best time to plant a fruit tree was 20 years ago. The next best time to plant one is now.
Follow me on Instagram: newjunglehawaii

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2020, 03:42:37 PM »
Ones I have tried have had a more pleasant taste than achachairu and are sweeter also. The flesh yield has been slightly less however.

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2021, 05:29:00 PM »

Found these guys hanging on the tree today.
I'm not sure if this is acuminata or madruno though

shot

• usa fl bokeelia 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2021, 10:56:34 AM »

skhan that looks like what i grow Charichuelo" aka Garcinia acuminata (?changing nomenclature)I have to hand pollinate my tree seems to be functional female flower only.

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2021, 06:00:32 PM »

skhan that looks like what i grow Charichuelo" aka Garcinia acuminata (?changing nomenclature)I have to hand pollinate my tree seems to be functional female flower only.

Thanks for the ID confirmation. I thought it was charichuelo but all the talk if bumpy madruno got me confused.
These were naturally pollinated, I didn't even realize the were flowering. I do have a bunch of other American Garcinias nearby though.