Author Topic: Grand Frost Lemon  (Read 2597 times)

mikkel

• Lueneburg, Germany Zone 7
    • View Profile
Grand Frost Lemon
« on: November 04, 2020, 04:45:05 AM »
Does anyone have a Grand Frost and can share seeds?

Thank you!

petasplit

• Croatia
    • View Profile
Re: Grand Frost Lemon
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2020, 02:29:36 PM »
That makes us two

mikkel

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2020, 02:42:05 PM »
In fact, there are three of us.

mikkel

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2020, 02:43:41 PM »
oh, is it you Petar?

petasplit

• Croatia
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2020, 02:48:37 PM »
Haha yep its me, on Facebook still nothing

Citradia

• USA/NC/Old Fort/6B
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2020, 07:40:57 PM »
You’ll probably only find them from someone in the state of Georgia since that’s where it originated and Georgia is quarantined for HLB so no citrus allowed to come in or out of GA. We can’t even get it in different states in the USA. Maybe you can contact a nursery in southern GA and ask if they can send you a tree overseas. I doubt it, but you could try.

SoCal2warm

• zone 10 and zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2020, 02:43:00 AM »
I just want to point out that Grand Frost (being derived from Ichang lemon) almost certainly would not be able to survive in Germany zone 7.

poncirsguy

• Cincinnati, Ohio, USA, 6a/6b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2020, 12:08:45 PM »
Why not buy a GF tree grafted to PT or FD.  How does GF lemon compare to a Harvey lemon, taste, or cold hardiness.

petasplit

• Croatia
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2020, 01:51:01 PM »
In Europe you can't because there isn't one. Only know about the taste and hardiness from what I've read - ordinary lemon taste but cold hardy to -8 °C. In my micro-location, it goes right about there.

mikkel

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2020, 10:27:48 AM »
I just want to point out that Grand Frost (being derived from Ichang lemon) almost certainly would not be able to survive in Germany zone 7.

this is not my intention.

lebmung

• Romania, Bucharest,7b (inside city 8a)
    • View Profile
    • Plante tropicale
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2020, 07:56:12 PM »
Would it be better to make new European hybrid for cold hardiness which would adapt to zone 7. I suggest everybody do crosses next spring.

Citradia

• USA/NC/Old Fort/6B
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2020, 09:24:46 PM »
Good luck getting a decent cold hardy hybrid that will consistently perform well in zone 7 without protection.

• USA, Georgia, Atlanta, 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2020, 09:37:21 AM »
I don't think a hybrid of Ichang Lemon could survive in zone 7. My pure Ichang Papeda grafted on PT could barely withstand the winter in zone 8a. It barely survives, but most leaves would be damaged and fell off. Ichang Papeda also flowers and fruits during winter which make it a useless source for hybridizing program unless you just want an ornamental piece of citrus.

SoCal2warm

• zone 10 and zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2020, 01:23:44 AM »
My pure Ichang Papeda grafted on PT could barely withstand the winter in zone 8a. It barely survives, but most leaves would be damaged and fell off.
It is true that the leaves do not survive very well, and judging by the behavior of the leaves we could be inclined to think that it does not seem to have so much cold tolerance, but I wonder if this is necessarily indicative of how much cold it can tolerate. What I mean is that maybe Ichang Papeda might behave a little bit deciduously (a little like Poncirus trifoliata perhaps). Does the plant seem to suffer branch damage? That might be a more accurate indicator.

Ichang Papeda also flowers and fruits during winter which make it a useless source for hybridizing program unless you just want an ornamental piece of citrus.
I'm not sure this is true. I saw a large Ichang papeda tree on the top of a small mountain in Portland, OR, with fruits that appeared reasonably ripe, at the start of November.
The quality of flavor and edibility is not really too far less than Yuzu. (at least in my opinion)
The inside reminds me a little bit of a Kaffir lime that maybe is not fully ripe (although I realize Kaffir limes are often only considered marginally edible).
But I think this is probably very much dependent on personal opinion. Those who like kumquats and lemons would probably be more likely to find Ichang papeda to be edible.

SoCal2warm

• zone 10 and zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2020, 01:41:52 AM »
I just took a look at my Ichang Lemon outside. Some of the branches look more yellowish like they are not doing well, like what would happen if you put a non-hardy citrus outside. Some of the branches look moderately yellowish green, like they will easily recover their full color next year. 
Maybe these branches look like the yellowest of my several Yuzu plants.
Nov 28, we have only had one minor frost night so far, WA state, so temperatures have been consistently cold for a while.
It survived outside in a container on the patio through the last winter.

It's health looks very similar to the Ichang papeda right now, not very good. It looks even worse than the Changsha mandarin right now, worse than the Sudachi.