Author Topic: WTB fruits: Different Cherimoya varieties (Mod:plz move, wrong board! Sorry!)  (Read 2966 times)

lonehawkstation

• California
    • View Profile
Hey guys, it's Cherimoya season!

I'd like to start my Cherimoya/Atemoya growing journey next year and I'd like to taste as many different varieties as possible before I invest years in the plants. Let me know if you have something to offer. I'm in So. Cal. and will be happy to pay for the fruit and shipping. I've had really great fruits, but they were unknown varieties.  :'(

TIA!
« Last Edit: December 02, 2020, 01:50:47 PM by lonehawkstation »

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
It really depends on the selection you have before you and the hitlist you have no doubt compiled.Whatever suits your climate best is a good way to start.

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
Ask forum members Brad and Simon. They should be able to point you in the right direction.

lonehawkstation

• California
    • View Profile
Ask forum members Brad and Simon. They should be able to point you in the right direction.

Thanks, I'm picking up some Dr. White from Brad. Still looking all others.  :)

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
My cherimoya season is pretty much through.  They got ripe and finished really fast this year, was way hot this summer and fall.  I'm sure there's more out there near you though.  I see them at the farmers market all winter.  The growers near the coast and further north have them in season later. 

The good ones to grow are pierce, Orton, fino de jete, honeyhart, Dr white...  They pretty much only propagate good ones at the nurseries. 
Brad Spaugh

lonehawkstation

• California
    • View Profile
It really depends on the selection you have before you and the hitlist you have no doubt compiled.Whatever suits your climate best is a good way to start.

I'd like to try all the crowd favorites like Pierce, El Bumpo, Lucida, Honeyheart, etc. but honestly open to anything. I think 10a should work for most if not all the varieties if I'm not mistaken.

lonehawkstation

• California
    • View Profile
My cherimoya season is pretty much through.  They got ripe and finished really fast this year, was way hot this summer and fall.  I'm sure there's more out there near you though.  I see them at the farmers market all winter.  The growers near the coast and further north have them in season later. 

The good ones to grow are pierce, Orton, fino de jete, honeyhart, Dr white...  They pretty much only propagate good ones at the nurseries.

Yea, Pierce seems to be on top of the list often. I live close to Cal Poly Pomona. They had some fruits (tiny) last week, but the clerks I spoke to had no idea what variety they were from so I didn't pick up any. :'(

They were dirt cheap though.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2020, 02:06:30 PM by lonehawkstation »

lonehawkstation

• California
    • View Profile

Hope you got my PM reply. The messaging system here is a bit clunky. 😅

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
In Australia things are pretty different with Annonas.Fino de jete, pierce and el bumpo are available and the preferred cherimoya.They are much less common than atemoya which are considered superior unlike the US where the reverse seems to be the case. Fino de jete is preferred in crosses with atemoya when developing new varieties of atemoya. Atemoyas African pride and gefner are widely available and grown commercially but considered lower quality than the mammoth lines like Hillary white, Maroochy gold, Paxton prolific and others. I doubt the pinks mammoth and its progeny are readily available is the US.

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
They are selling Cherimoya fruit at Lucky Seafood for $8/lbs. decent size, mostly bumpy fruit. They were probably grown locally. My cherimoya season is also almost done. This is probably the earliest my cherimoyas have finished.

Simon

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
That is crazy expensive and like 20 US bux for a decent piece of fruit.

lonehawkstation

• California
    • View Profile
They are selling Cherimoya fruit at Lucky Seafood for $8/lbs. decent size, mostly bumpy fruit. They were probably grown locally. My cherimoya season is also almost done. This is probably the earliest my cherimoyas have finished.

Simon

Thx, I'm looking to buy fruits from known varieties so I can make an informed decision on what to graft next year, so getting them from the market that just calls them "Cherimoya" won't help me in that aspect. 😓

Appreciate it though!

spaugh

• View Profile
Mike, hardly anyone grows cherimoyas here.  Thry only grow in a small area along the coast of CA.  Avocados are the preferred crop and get planted over cherimoyas.  Most people here have never seen a cherimoya, they are not available at many stores.  Its more of a home grown thing that people grow for themselves.  They spoil too fast and are a pain to pollinate so growing large quantity is not something many farms do. 
Brad Spaugh

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
Soursop is $20 a pound in California and its rarely even decent.
I seen moldy brown one’s for $20 a pound .

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
There will be California grown Cherimoya iN various markets for the next 9 months of the long south to north harvest season, but I have never seen any varieties labeled, wishful thinking. They absolutely should be.
Do some cherimoya forum searches to learn about good cultivars for your area or in general.
Sometimes the best info is archived.

lonehawkstation

• California
    • View Profile
There will be California grown Cherimoya iN various markets for the next 9 months of the long south to north harvest season, but I have never seen any varieties labeled, wishful thinking. They absolutely should be.
Do some cherimoya forum searches to learn about good cultivars for your area or in general.
Sometimes the best info is archived.

👍👍👍

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
There is room for opinions and conjecture, but you can't go wrong with Pierce. Definitely get a tree if you can find it.

spaugh

• View Profile
You can buy from here.  For 29$ per pound it should come labeled...  :o :'(

https://www.etsy.com/listing/805059319/cherimoyas?ref=hp_opfy-1&frs=1&variation0=1392856276
Brad Spaugh

CA Hockey

• Orange, CA 10a
    • View Profile
Pay attention to the screc website. This offer unfortunately already sold out but they had top tier varieties for sale at a bargain.

The first Cherimoya Pop-Up Presale is now live! We currently have only 23 bags of cherimoya for sale. Each bag contains between 5-8 pieces of fruit and weighs ~8-10lbs.

Bags are $50 each and contains a mix of the following varieties: Carmella, Sabor, Orton, Fino de Jete, Deliciosa, Selma, Big Sister, Pierce, Chaffey, Whaley, Oxheart, Santa Rosa, and White. 

All bags are prepacked; fruit cannot be swapped or exchanged.

Bags will be available for pickup on Friday, December 4th from 9-12pm at UC South Coast Research in Irvine. To purchase, please visit: http://ucanr.edu/survey/survey.cfm?surveynumber=32524

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile

https://www.etsy.com/listing/805059319/cherimoyas?ref=hp_opfy-1&frs=1&variation0=1392856276

For that price, they should drive them to you and spoon feed you after all seeds are removed.
- Rob

CA Hockey

• Orange, CA 10a
    • View Profile
They sold out immediately 🤷🏽‍♂️ local price in stores is what, 13$/pound? This is a bargain compared to that, and for named top tier varieties, it'd a no brainer.

For that price, they should drive them to you and spoon feed you after all seeds are removed.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
They sold out immediately 🤷🏽‍♂️ local price in stores is what, 13$/pound? This is a bargain compared to that, and for named top tier varieties, it'd a no brainer.

I get top varieties, hand selected, for less than $10/lb.  Eating on some monster Campas now.
- Rob

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
The prices are much higher than you would ever see here for atemoya and even in the supermarkets 3.50/lb US would be high.I question I have is about cherimoya. Are the better ones much more flavoursome and better quality than say gefner and African pride atemoya?

Epicatt2

• Fruit forest in progress . . .
    • Tampa, FL / Zone 9b
    • View Profile
The good ones to grow are pierce, Orton, fino de jete, honeyhart, Dr white...  [snip]

I recently bought some 'Pierce' seedlings from HI which arrived severely damaged during S&H due to poor packing.  It has been touch and go but they are recovering slowly, having resprouted from bases of the stems after the tops were broken off in transit and died.

So Brad Spaugh, would you please maybe expand upon what characteristics in particular make this cultivar, 'Pierce', so desirable? I have not been able to find out anything about 'Pierce'.

I'm also wondering if the 'Pierce' cultivar is polyembryonic and comes true from seed.

TIA

Paul M.
==
« Last Edit: December 03, 2020, 11:24:17 AM by Epicatt2 »

spaugh

• View Profile
The prices are much higher than you would ever see here for atemoya and even in the supermarkets 3.50/lb US would be high.I question I have is about cherimoya. Are the better ones much more flavoursome and better quality than say gefner and African pride atemoya?

Yes 100X better than african pride.
Brad Spaugh