Author Topic: looking for Grand Frost Lemon seeds  (Read 1009 times)

robbym123

• Reigate, United Kingdom
    • View Profile
looking for Grand Frost Lemon seeds
« on: December 09, 2020, 07:56:52 AM »
Hey Guys

I am looking for some grand frost lemon seeds if anyone has some spare that they would be willing to post to the UK?.  I have some yuzu seeds that I would be happy to swap if this is of interest.

Cheers

Rob

robbym123

• View Profile
Re: looking for Grand Frost Lemon seeds
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2020, 03:21:40 AM »
Hey Guys

I know my post was to all intents identical to one from Mikkel recently, and it looks like he didn't get any luck either?.

Would be great to get a reply or two, even if it is to say something along the lines of 'you can forget it, and here is why......'.

Surely there must be somebody on here with one of these plants?.

Cheers

Rob

Citradia

• USA/NC/Old Fort/6B
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2020, 07:55:49 PM »
I tried growing some seeds from fruit I got in GA several years ago but the seedlings were not very vigorous and I had so many other strong seedlings of other varieties, I let them go or they just died. Plus, I knew they would not survive winter here in 6b anyway without a tower of plastic built around the mature 15 ft tree before it bloomed anyway. I have a grafted Ichang lemon on dragon now that is short and easily covered in winter and already bears fruit after just a few years. I don’t care about seeds in Ichang lemon since it’s only used for juicing anyway. I doubt you will be able to buy the seedless patented form unless you live in GA anyway with GA greening quarantine anyway.

robbym123

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2020, 03:11:29 AM »
Thanks Citradia,

Disappointing, but at least it allows me to draw a line under that idea.

What would you suggest, as a nearest equivalent, that would grow in SE UK (typical winters just below freezing, hard winter few degrees below), that I could get hold of more easily.  I have a Yuzu that is doing well, but I fancy something that is more like a 'proper' lemon if you know what I mean?. 

Thanks for your advice

Citradia

• USA/NC/Old Fort/6B
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2020, 09:46:04 PM »
I’m pretty sure you can get Ichang lemon trees there. It’s the same as the seedless frost variety. Dr Hanna at the university of GA created it by irradiation of Ichang lemon seeds to make the “seedless” strain. They still have seeds but not as many. Ichang lemon would be very hardy where it doesn’t get far below freezing. The fruit smell wonderful too. They make a great lemon pie.