Author Topic: A real jack-in-the-box  (Read 1537 times)

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
A real jack-in-the-box
« on: December 11, 2020, 11:19:15 PM »
It has been a week of jackfruit and chempedak overload for me chums. I had a few ripe ones on my trees and received plenty from other sources also. A trip to the jackfruit farm today had ne sampling numerous varies of jacks, chempas and crosses. My advice is don't eat more than 10 or 11lbs in a week and don't eat more than 2 or 3lbs of flesh in a sitting or you will feel totally tanked up like I am at the moment.
A chance hybrid of timor red jack and chempedak was a real surprise and stood out from the pack. It is a high producing dwarf with firm, zesty flesh of terrific lemony and fruity taste. It was super easy to peel by hand and almost latex free. A real winner and the well known farming family is justifiably very happy with fruit tree. Even though I had consumed too much fruit I found the room to go that little bit further and sample this one. I need one of these trees.

Here is a tree with the farmer

They are small trees which fruit quickly.

The fruit are in the 2kg range consistently with big bulbs.

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • Palm City FL
    • View Profile
Re: A real jack-in-the-box
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2020, 01:20:19 PM »
Yes....I need one too lol tree looks incredible!

Joe

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2020, 01:56:45 PM »
That is an aesome fruit! Why do they always have the best varieties in Australia? Lol!

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2020, 04:56:35 PM »
Need to visit again...in time...amazing.

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2020, 05:53:14 PM »
Nice find there! Hope that one makes it here soon.

Do you laugh to yourself at night, lying in bed, thinking of all the wonderful fruit you get to eat?

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2020, 06:54:28 PM »
Rob I am sure many areas have hidden gems that you just need to be able to recognise and access. What I didn't say is that on the farm we sampled a multitude of crisp, soft, orange and yellow type of all descriptions both new emerging and old established types. I thought none of these had the superlative qualities of an A grader with abundant excellent tasting flesh, easy to extract flesh, no or low latex until I tried this one.The ease of peeling and lovely flavour immediately got me.
I also have a lead for another hidden gem I had an encounter with several years ago. The usual 4 or 5 types of chupa chupas are respectable fruit and I am sure I posted a pic of the giant fruited type on this forum a few years ago. It was one of the Colombian collection brought here around 40 or 45 years ago before all the records were pretty well lost. This 2kg+ monster has a good taste and extra flesh. The farmer Mark in the pic told me of such a tree at Cape Tribulation.

sytanta

• Ho Chi Minh, Vietnam
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2020, 07:12:10 PM »
Awesome hidden gems! Those who are sharing are gems too. Thanks!

ben mango

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2020, 10:29:51 PM »
Planted from graft or seed? Beautiful looking fruit

Stevo

• Australia Far North Queensland Cairns 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2020, 11:36:50 PM »
Planted from graft or seed? Beautiful looking fruit

Grafted

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2021, 01:53:56 AM »

Another Timor Red x Chempa on the same farm.This half eaten tree ripened fruit also was easy to peel with an appealing lemony taste but the foliage was more pointed, and the tree larger and more jackfruit like.

Darve

• Australia,Queensland,Brisbane
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2021, 02:18:19 AM »
Hi Mike, And Happy new year. For you to say i must have one of those trees , shows to me how good it is especially when you had difficulty picking where to plant the 2 new Lychee  aquisitions ( and finding space )even planting both or just 1. Trying to compromise sometimes is difficult, but some how we all do it, wish you good planting. Cheers David.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2021, 04:34:25 AM »
Happy new year to you as well David. Yeah I really like these ones It seems like better jacks and chempadaks keep jumping out from the undergrowth. The ones people were messing with 20 years ago don't make the grade these days.