Author Topic: 2021 Lychee Season  (Read 15971 times)

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • Palm City FL
    • View Profile
2021 Lychee Season
« on: January 10, 2021, 01:24:16 PM »

Some blooms coming in on sweat heart now 😎

-Joe

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
Re: 2021 Lychee Season
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2021, 10:08:34 PM »
Our Sweetheart and Florida Haak Yip are forming panicles now, too. They are the first to bloom of our varieties pretty consistently.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2021, 02:58:36 AM »
Did you know if a theoretical lychee addict with unlimited time and resources wanted to chase fresh lychees over the globe they wouldn't be able to get them in April and September.If they landed in Australia in October and chased the season south along the east coast until the end of March then flew to say Florida or Texas it would be May before they could get any.Then if they winged to Asia for the start of June and chased the season north, by September they would run out. I may be wrong but it looks like the emdless lychee season is not possible.

LycheeLust

• I need the seedless lychee
    • Los Angeles, 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2021, 02:29:17 PM »
Did you know if a theoretical lychee addict with unlimited time and resources wanted to chase fresh lychees over the globe they wouldn't be able to get them in April and September.If they landed in Australia in October and chased the season south along the east coast until the end of March then flew to say Florida or Texas it would be May before they could get any.Then if they winged to Asia for the start of June and chased the season north, by September they would run out. I may be wrong but it looks like the emdless lychee season is not possible.
😢

Triloba Tracker

• Psalms 104:14
    • USA, Middle Tennessee, Zone 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2021, 03:57:30 PM »
I need some lychees in my life this year.
Surprisingly, here in small-town Tennessee, our Kroger grocery store had some excellent Melissa's branded lychees last year.
Hoping for a repeat

cbss_daviefl

• USA, Southwest Ranches,FL 33331, 10B
    • View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2021, 05:37:27 PM »
The one year my dad had a bumper Sweet Heart crop, he froze a bunch. They were just as good as fresh, maybe a little extra juicy. You don't need unlimited resources, just need a good-sized freezer.

I am starting to see some flowers pushing on a few trees.

Brandon

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2021, 05:58:27 PM »
First winter with decent chill hours in close to a decade here. Sweetheart pushing out a decent amount of flowers.

I've been told that lychees much be extremely well irrigated around fruit set to prevent abortion of fruit. My sweeetheart flowers every year (20% or less of the tree), but only a dozen fruit ever make it to maturity.

This time, I'm in the process of upgrading my irrigation system. 3HP pump with 2" and 1 1/2" tubing. Hoping for a good crop.
Jeff  :-)

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2021, 07:17:24 PM »

That is an interesting analysis Mike. Now to work out a plan for April and September... If the guy with unlimited resources built several greenhouses with removable covers in the tropical highlands where it was consistently in the 40s and 50s (Peru?) he could theoretically get lychees any month he wanted. Does anyone have $500k to spare for land and greenhouses? Oh, I almost forgot, we'll probably need a helecoptor to get us there. Lol!

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2021, 09:05:57 PM »
First winter with decent chill hours in close to a decade here. Sweetheart pushing out a decent amount of flowers.

I've been told that lychees much be extremely well irrigated around fruit set to prevent abortion of fruit. My sweeetheart flowers every year (20% or less of the tree), but only a dozen fruit ever make it to maturity.

This time, I'm in the process of upgrading my irrigation system. 3HP pump with 2" and 1 1/2" tubing. Hoping for a good crop.

I believe Simon posted once about Boron helping with fruit retention. Maybe a leaf analysis is in order to see if you have a deficiency?

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2021, 09:47:24 AM »
Yah, boron does make a big diff. The lychee is one of the few trees that I don't spray with boron, but perhaps I should change that. Thanks.
Jeff  :-)

Julie

• Miami, FL, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2021, 12:14:01 PM »
I have a 7-8 year old brewster lychee which put out a lot of new shoots just recently but it looks like it could be just leaves.  How do I tell? It's never fruited before

Seanny

• Garden Grove, Orange County, California, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2021, 03:35:45 PM »
Close up pictures?

Thematt829

• Metairie
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2021, 09:18:05 AM »
Is this flowers or leaves first time growing sweetheart lychee.

cbss_daviefl

• View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2021, 10:43:07 AM »
Too early to tell. Once they expand a little more you might be able to see a different looking bud pushing out between the main stalk and the secondary branches.

Is this flowers or leaves first time growing sweetheart lychee.

Brandon

MANGOSCOPE

• usa,fl,margate,10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2021, 02:14:20 PM »

Unless, you've a year round variety like mangos, seemingly, we're not there yet...

Weboh

• US, FL, St. Petersburg, zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2021, 05:04:09 PM »
It's funny you guys are seeing new growth so soon. There are a lot of lychee trees in my area, and I've only seen one of them pushing out new growth (about a month ago, and it's done now. No flowers  :().

Is it possible we'll see growth at all this year? We have had a pretty mild winter, so I expect little fruit, but it's funny that I don't even see new growth coming out on trees. Is cold related to when growth comes out, too?

nothingincommon

• Homestead, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2021, 05:47:25 PM »
I have about 35 Lychee trees ranging between 3-6 years of age.

I barely get any fruit each year.

Might have gotten a total of 30 pounds last year :(

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2021, 06:37:48 PM »
It's funny you guys are seeing new growth so soon. There are a lot of lychee trees in my area, and I've only seen one of them pushing out new growth (about a month ago, and it's done now. No flowers  :().

Is it possible we'll see growth at all this year? We have had a pretty mild winter, so I expect little fruit, but it's funny that I don't even see new growth coming out on trees. Is cold related to when growth comes out, too?

Mild winter?  Definitely not so...this is one of the coolest winters (temp wise) in the last decade.
- Rob

Thematt829

• Metairie
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2021, 06:50:27 PM »
Im guessing theese are buds?

cbss_daviefl

• View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2021, 08:10:32 PM »
Those are flower buds
Im guessing theese are buds?

Brandon

mattyboydesigns

• St. Petersburg, Florida 9b/10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2021, 08:17:33 PM »

My 5 year old Hak Ip is about to bloom for the first time. It flowers every year but never a full bloom. I had a vegetative growth flush start at the end of November, so I tipped it the first week of December before the cold fronts came. This is the first year I've pruned in hopes of this happening.

There's also a big 25+ year old tree and a smaller 15 year old tree about to bloom in my neighborhood. It's definitely been cold enough, we've had twice the amount of chill hours from last year. My best friend in pinellas park has a 20+ year old tree I'll check on tomorrow. I feel like this will be a good year for lychee

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2021, 09:30:36 PM »

My 5 year old Hak Ip is about to bloom for the first time. It flowers every year but never a full bloom. I had a vegetative growth flush start at the end of November, so I tipped it the first week of December before the cold fronts came. This is the first year I've pruned in hopes of this happening.

There's also a big 25+ year old tree and a smaller 15 year old tree about to bloom in my neighborhood. It's definitely been cold enough, we've had twice the amount of chill hours from last year. My best friend in pinellas park has a 20+ year old tree I'll check on tomorrow. I feel like this will be a good year for lychee

You should not be pruning a lychee in December.
- Rob

mattyboydesigns

• St. Petersburg, Florida 9b/10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2021, 09:55:33 PM »
You should not be pruning a lychee in December.

It was starting a vegetative flush instead of going dormant and would have never bloomed. I forced it to go dormant and now it's about to bloom. Seems like I did the right thing but thanks for the tip.

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2021, 10:38:42 PM »
Contrary to much of what is held as common knowledge regarding lychee floral induction, it is not necessary for the tree to go dormant before it flowers. Dr. Don Batten of Australia performed experiments in which lychee and mango trees that were actively growing at summer temperatures were transfered to a cooled environment. The flush that had been initiated in summer temps was triggered by the cold and turned to bloom. Actually, trees that were transfered in an entirely dormant state did not produce as heavy a bloom as the trees that experienced the cold temps after initiating a flush. Obviously, there is a point of no return where the flush is too large/mature to initiate a bloom. If you can time your pruning so that your tree is just beginning growth when the cold temps occur, you are almost guranteed bloom.

Sounds like you did it right.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2021, 10:50:28 PM by Galatians522 »

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: January 29, 2021, 10:51:27 PM by Galatians522 »