Author Topic: Sansapote, orange G. forbesii and Oncoba  (Read 1511 times)

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
Sansapote, orange G. forbesii and Oncoba
« on: January 23, 2021, 09:35:40 PM »

In my travels today some fruit virtually presented itself to me. Feast your eyes on a few below.

LycheeLust

• I need the seedless lychee
    • Los Angeles, 10A
    • View Profile
Re: Sansapote, orange G. forbesii and Oncoba
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2021, 12:48:15 AM »
So you basically live in fruit Disneyland lol

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2021, 01:20:05 AM »
Let me rephrase that. I went to a public place where there are fruit trees and these caught my attention.
Oh yeah the big fruited type of ambarella is there and larger ones are between 200g and 400g and perhaps even crack the 1lb mark.

Tropical Bay Area

• San Jose area, zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2021, 07:28:54 PM »
Let me rephrase that. I went to a public place where there are fruit trees and these caught my attention.
Oh yeah the big fruited type of ambarella is there and larger ones are between 200g and 400g and perhaps even crack the 1lb mark.

I never knew there were ambarellas that big! Thanks, mike
« Last Edit: January 28, 2021, 05:01:51 PM by Tropical Bay Area »
Cheers!

BoBiscuit

• Ventura, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2021, 12:28:14 AM »
OMG that spikey one! That's Oncoba? Tell us more about that one Mike the internets don't have much to say about it.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2021, 01:41:47 AM »
It looks like something you might step on in a seaside rockpool or even like a small very spikey durian but showy African is unrelated.  The spikey skin plates fall away easily to reveal an egg shaped orange paste 'nugget' with small silvery grey seeds almost like passionfruit seeds They can be crunched and swallowed with the orange flesh. The flowers are large and can be all over the tree that can appear as though a swarm of sea urchins are attacking it.
The in your face appearance promises a flavor burst but doesnt deliver that. It is only mildly sweet and almost bordering on bland but not unpleasant.

Dirt Diva

• Houston, Tx 9A
    • View Profile
    • YouTube Channel for the DivingTemptress
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2021, 03:18:56 PM »
Hi Mike

I feel like a babe in the woods, have never heard of these ...Sansapote, orange G. forbesii and Oncoba.
I guess I will need to venture "Down Under" to be able to check them out hehehe

Dirt Diva
P J, the DivingTemptress and Dirt Diva

Raulglezruiz

• Puerto Vallarta,Mexico. Lat 21.5 Semi Tropical
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2021, 07:50:21 PM »

they look about the same size of the monsters I found in Tenom Park, but the others where yellow skin, with a very small seed, unfortunately the seeds didn't sprouted for me maybe too much humedity in the vermiculite on my way back to home
El verde es vida!

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2021, 12:47:08 AM »

they look about the same size of the monsters I found in Tenom Park, but the others where yellow skin, with a very small seed, unfortunately the seeds didn't sprouted for me maybe too much humedity in the vermiculite on my way back to home
Lots of Spondias dulcis trees produce sterile seeds.
Oscar

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2021, 02:42:11 AM »
These ambarellas are still green and nowhere near mature but could enlarge further and go yellow in a couple of months.Cockatoos leave a carpet of immature fruit beneath the trees and some actually remain unscathed despite the 80 ft drop to the ground. Ambarella seeds are in a few sections of the core which is like a bit like a woody, spikey apple core. I didnt check if viable seeds were inside but I don't see why not as several huge trees are growing together.

BenG

• Menlo Park, California (Zone 9b)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2021, 12:50:12 PM »
All those fruits are amazing. What do they taste like?

W.

• United States, Alabama, 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2021, 07:41:01 AM »
It looks like something you might step on in a seaside rockpool or even like a small very spikey durian but showy African is unrelated.  The spikey skin plates fall away easily to reveal an egg shaped orange paste 'nugget' with small silvery grey seeds almost like passionfruit seeds They can be crunched and swallowed with the orange flesh. The flowers are large and can be all over the tree that can appear as though a swarm of sea urchins are attacking it.
The in your face appearance promises a flavor burst but doesnt deliver that. It is only mildly sweet and almost bordering on bland but not unpleasant.

So I guess the Oncoba (welwitschii?) will not be planted in your personal fruit forest based on taste but would be more of an ornamental. What about the other two fruits?

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2021, 08:34:37 AM »
Sasapote is a nit like beer and sapodilla mixed with a dryish fibrous texture. The orange fleshed forbesii is perhaps a little better than the typical white fleshed type. They are sweet and pleasant enough. When doing auditions for the back yard show these 3 are probably not the stars of the stars and may get outshone by a few tropical fruit stars.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk