Author Topic: Plant o Gram mangos delivered  (Read 2269 times)

Jack, Nipomo

• San Luis Obispo County, CA zone 9b
    • View Profile
Plant o Gram mangos delivered
« on: June 21, 2020, 06:18:07 PM »
Today (Sunday) FedEx delivered my Kent and Honey Kiss Mangos ordered from Plant O Gram.  Both were easily 3 gallon size, 3 1/2 to 4 ft high.  Thick caliper, healthy, and not a leaf missing or damaged.  From Fla to Ca the packing was excellent, pot covered and heavily wrapped, tree staked and tied, then both in tall cardboard shipping box.  Had a special on free shipping too.  Ordered due to Corvid 19 and not wanting to travel south.  Cleared a part of the property that is the warmest and planted 2 green sapotes, a jackfruit, couple more avocados, canistel, flying saucer fruit, and two mangos.  All except mangos have been growing here in and out of the greenhouse.  Hoping to take advantage of global warming...45 years ago freezes killed macadamias regularly, now we rarely see even light frosts.  We'll see about the mangos.........  Now looking for litchi varieties to order from PlantOGram.

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
Re: Plant o Gram mangos delivered
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2020, 07:55:10 PM »
Thanks for reporting, I have always wondered about that site

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2020, 08:32:39 PM »
Be very cautious ordering lychees from Florida, or not order at all, due to Erinose mites.
- Rob

Jack, Nipomo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2020, 08:33:45 AM »
Thanks for the mite info.  Googled it and best to avoid another pest coming in. 

Santa Maria 9b

• Santa Maria, CA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2021, 11:55:28 PM »
How did the Mangoes do through the winter? I am sizing up a Manila mango in my greenhouse to plant out at the end of the month.

Tropical Bay Area

• San Jose area, zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2021, 11:58:17 PM »
Great!
Cheers!

bob_tu

• Hayward/Castro Valley, CA, Zones 10a/9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2021, 01:31:45 AM »
Ordered from PoG last June. Shipped on a monday held at fedex over the weekend. Trees came perfectly lost 2 leaves on my alphonso tree and thats it. Does anybody have reviews for TopTropicals? They seem to have the biggest collection but insane prices for shipping. The only other place i know that sells online is Tomorrows Harvest and they only sell Manila.

Jack, Nipomo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2021, 09:08:58 AM »
Update on mangos from PlantoGram.  Mangos, Jakfruit, etc. were encircled with field fence covered with poly plastic.  Reptile heaters installed inside.  Top of encircled plants were only closed twice this winter (at 35 degrees, 9 PM) as a precaution.  Heaters never used, all encircling covers removed first week of February.  Damage:  some spotting on new leaves of mangos, slight discoloring.  Jakfruit top leaves curled and dead, lower leaves green and intact, wood OK.  Canistel is fine, green sapotes untouched by cold.  According to max/min orchard thermometer we hit 27 degrees some time during this winter.  Thermometer is next to mangos.  Duration must have been very short as the only other frost/freeze damage on the property is on new growth on Cassia (Senna alata, raised for Giant Cloudless butterfly).  No effects observed on new growth on macadamia or avocados.  This on property held for 47 years experiencing 17 degrees one time and a usual 25-26 degrees each winter, usually of long duration.  Plans are to continue experiencing an apparent global warming trend with additional plantings (if I can find room).

As an aside, two litchi plants from PlantoGram were heavily sprayed with a (miticide?) to the extent of transparent leaves that subsequently curled and dropped.  Both put in greenhouse, one died, Brewster growing well.  Nice caliper plants!  Planning on putting Litchi out too, but will hit Champa Nursery (local almost) for more litchi plants to avoid mite eradication efforts. 

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2021, 09:35:01 AM »
I could see mangos, avocados, and lychees moving up the state here in Florida as winter low temperatures no longer dip down like they used to in the past.
John

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2021, 09:52:18 AM »
I could see mangos, avocados, and lychees moving up the state here in Florida as winter low temperatures no longer dip down like they used to in the past.

Except for this winter.  🤷‍♂️
- Rob

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2021, 12:41:07 PM »
Ordered from PoG last June. Shipped on a monday held at fedex over the weekend. Trees came perfectly lost 2 leaves on my alphonso tree and thats it. Does anybody have reviews for TopTropicals? They seem to have the biggest collection but insane prices for shipping. The only other place i know that sells online is Tomorrows Harvest and they only sell Manila.
Keep in mind that Tropical Acre Farms in West Palm Beach Florida may start shipping to California. I would assume you would have a larger selection to choose from and would probably get rootstock that is preferred for California.
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

John B

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2021, 01:43:14 PM »
Keep in mind that Tropical Acre Farms in West Palm Beach Florida may start shipping to California. I would assume you would have a larger selection to choose from and would probably get rootstock that is preferred for California.

Thanks for that info. Do you have an estimated time they will start shipping here? Manilla rootstock mangos would be preferred and plant o gram only carries the turpentine rootstock varieties. Of course they don't carry Sweet Tart that Simon recommended as growing well in CA on that rootstock.

In the meantime, I was just going to buy smaller manilla and atulfo mangos from the local nurseries since they are cheap here and graft scions to them. Of there is another supplier, that already has grafted mango trees, that would be wonderful.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2021, 02:54:55 PM by John B »

Sunrisefruit

• Sunrise, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2021, 02:07:59 PM »
TopTropicasl, located in Ft Myers, is great.. i got my Wurtz avocado(couldnt find it anywhere) three years ago and is doing great.. coming into my second production season

mattyboydesigns

• St. Petersburg, Florida 9b/10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2021, 02:16:38 PM »
Everglades.farm has a lot of different varieties of mango. I just recently bought two jaboticabas from them and the trees look great.

Gulfgardener

• Panhandle 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2021, 05:01:23 PM »
I'm glad to hear good reviews for Plant o Gram. I've been avoiding them because they are pricey.

I've had great experiences with Everglades Farm. Ordered two mango trees during the worst possible shipping time (Nov and Dec) and they both arrived healthy. One was even lost by Fedex for a week and didn't loose a leaf!

Toptropicals -  Ordered a mango (mallika) and it arrived covered in sooty mold. It had scale pretty bad too. I probably should have gave customer service an earful but it was my first tree and I didn't know better. Second strike was my white sapote arriving one foot high with 2 leaves.  If you order from them, have a first aid kit ready for your tree. It may need life support.

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2021, 05:08:36 PM »

Thanks for that info. Do you have an estimated time they will start shipping here? Manilla rootstock mangos would be preferred and plant o gram only carries the turpentine rootstock varieties. Of course they don't carry Sweet Tart that Simon recommended as growing well in CA on that rootstock.

In the meantime, I was just going to buy smaller manilla and atulfo mangos from the local nurseries since they are cheap here and graft scions to them. Of there is another supplier, that already has grafted mango trees, that would be wonderful.
If Manilla and Philippine (Carabao) are synonymous then they have it. If that is the case the seed is Poly so root stock shouldn't be a problem. The best thing for you to do would be to contact them. The more potential customers from California that have interest in one gal grafted trees.The more likely he is to go through the Hoops necessary to ship to California. They only have three hundred varieties.Lol

Tropical Acres Farms
Direct from our farm to your hands!

Customer Support

561-358-8566

1010 Camellia Rd

West Palm Beach, Fl. USA, 33405

TropicalAcresFarms@gmail.com

« Last Edit: February 11, 2021, 05:20:37 PM by bovine421 »
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2021, 05:33:23 PM »
I'm glad to hear good reviews for Plant o Gram. I've been avoiding them because they are pricey.

I've had great experiences with Everglades Farm. Ordered two mango trees during the worst possible shipping time (Nov and Dec) and they both arrived healthy. One was even lost by Fedex for a week and didn't loose a leaf!

Toptropicals -  Ordered a mango (mallika) and it arrived covered in sooty mold. It had scale pretty bad too. I probably should have gave customer service an earful but it was my first tree and I didn't know better. Second strike was my white sapote arriving one foot high with 2 leaves.  If you order from them, have a first aid kit ready for your tree. It may need life support.
Sorry did not mean to step on your post but from now until late may I would think would be a good time to order from plantogram before it gets unbelievably hot I will vouch for their dwarf red guava it is as advertised makes wonderful juice stays 7 ft tall about 6 feet wide with zero pruning

John B

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2021, 06:03:14 PM »
Thanks, bovine421. Yes, I too am sorry for the thread jack. But I did inquire from plant o gram about their mango varieties before hoping they had other rootstocks but that was not the case, unfortunately.

FV Fruit Freak

• USA, Southern California, Fountain Valley, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2021, 06:15:12 PM »
Update on mangos from PlantoGram.  Mangos, Jakfruit, etc. were encircled with field fence covered with poly plastic.  Reptile heaters installed inside.  Top of encircled plants were only closed twice this winter (at 35 degrees, 9 PM) as a precaution.  Heaters never used, all encircling covers removed first week of February.  Damage:  some spotting on new leaves of mangos, slight discoloring.  Jakfruit top leaves curled and dead, lower leaves green and intact, wood OK.  Canistel is fine, green sapotes untouched by cold.  According to max/min orchard thermometer we hit 27 degrees some time during this winter.  Thermometer is next to mangos.  Duration must have been very short as the only other frost/freeze damage on the property is on new growth on Cassia (Senna alata, raised for Giant Cloudless butterfly).  No effects observed on new growth on macadamia or avocados.  This on property held for 47 years experiencing 17 degrees one time and a usual 25-26 degrees each winter, usually of long duration.  Plans are to continue experiencing an apparent global warming trend with additional plantings (if I can find room).

As an aside, two litchi plants from PlantoGram were heavily sprayed with a (miticide?) to the extent of transparent leaves that subsequently curled and dropped.  Both put in greenhouse, one died, Brewster growing well.  Nice caliper plants!  Planning on putting Litchi out too, but will hit Champa Nursery (local almost) for more litchi plants to avoid mite eradication efforts.

Hi Jack, you should check out Emily Nursery in Santa Ana too, he’s closer to you and has a nice selection of trees that he really takes care of, talk to Mike if you go. I’ve bought several trees from him over the years and they are all doing stellar. Cheers, Nate
« Last Edit: February 11, 2021, 06:17:40 PM by FV Fruit Freak »
Nate

Santa Maria 9b

• Santa Maria, CA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2021, 10:03:09 PM »
Thanks for the update, I will have to try Canistel next year

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk