Author Topic: Tree spacing question  (Read 1477 times)

Julie

• Miami, FL, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
Tree spacing question
« on: February 02, 2021, 12:54:46 PM »
Is 15 feet trunk to trunk ok for any type of tree? My new oro negro avocado was planted 18 feet trunk to trunk from my 9 year old Brewster lychee and I keep worrying it won’t be enough space. Will it be possible to maintain these 2 large trees next to each other like this with pruning? I also wanted to max variety within my yard. Thanks for your help.

cen

• US, CA/SF peninsula, Menlo Park, 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Tree spacing question
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2021, 01:56:26 PM »
You might have missed this since it has fallen off the first page, but the video is filmed in Miami and is applicable to your questions.

Click this link for a TFF post with video illustrating high density planting
« Last Edit: February 02, 2021, 04:01:32 PM by cen »

Julie

• Miami, FL, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2021, 02:19:10 PM »
Can you post the link again?

swincher

• Western WA (zone 8b, zone 10a greenhouse)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2021, 02:33:34 PM »
Looks like a couple typos in the url, but I was able to figure out what they were, this looks like the correct link:

http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=42368.0

Julie

• Miami, FL, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2021, 02:39:22 PM »
Thank you, my yard isn’t high density like in the video. These trees get huge from my experience with a huge seedling avocado that has been on my property for 20 years.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2021, 02:42:25 PM »
Be very very careful with high density planting.  Its not for everyone and can lead to an utter mess.  For the average home orchard/backyard grower, 15+ feet off center works well with the following caveat...you cannot just let the trees mature and free grow without trimming.  If your lychee is just let go and not kept in check shape and sizewise, 18 feet will not be enough.
- Rob

Julie

• Miami, FL, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2021, 03:49:42 PM »
Right now the distance is 18 feet trunk to trunk so I will start by pruning the lychee this year. I’ve never trimmed or pruned it.

Julie

• Miami, FL, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2021, 03:59:06 PM »
The second picture is the lychee next to the oro negro. The first picture is to show how large avocados get to (only the trunk of this avocado remained after Irma and within a year or less it was huge again).

cen

• US, CA/SF peninsula, Menlo Park, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2021, 04:08:01 PM »

weiss613

• Miami
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2021, 11:12:19 PM »
Yes most people including myself when I was working and especially when my kids were young plant a tree and let nature take its course. I’m able to plant very high density and care for it all now because I’m retired and absolutely love the work and this hobby. It gives me something to get up for and dream about. So when I show my stuff on the Forum like Rob says it isn’t for everyone. Now that I have this insane experiment in motion I must give the trees their proper care or else it will be a horrible mess and my neighbors will hate the crazy guy who is bringing down their homes values. But my main motivation is for my own longevity from the physical and mental challenges and it’s a creative process. All these contribute hopefully to living longer. Also now that I’ll be 72 this summer when it’s hell to do hard work on the trees I’m taking advantage of the cooler weather and fast walking 4 miles early in the morning to get in better shape for the tremendous work I’ll have for this summer as there is so much more to cut and put in my 7 garbage pails 2X’s a week. Last summer I’d commandeer many neighbors extra garbage cans too. One week I filled up 13 cans twice. At the end of the summer when I had to do the Valencia Pride and 4 Keitts I finally had to stack those cutting on the driveway for a county pickup! So yes very high density is loads of fun and rewards but tremendous responsibilities too.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2021, 11:16:31 PM by weiss613 »

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2021, 01:44:59 AM »
Being a student of fitting plants in, I am sure that is why I often get called a space cadet. It is surprising how high density planting can be done effectively even with plants in pots. One friend who has a pot plant forest keeps trees small and productive and his starfruit, sugar apples etc are amazing. Tatura trellising of tropicals works really well and jackfruit, mangoes and even durians can be kept small.I am not sure about lychees and haven't seem small trimmed productive trees. The old ideas about spacing are being challenged, and yes the 'dark side of the tree' can still produce.

Julie

• Miami, FL, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2021, 09:52:43 AM »
So many opinions here. Is 18 feet between a lychee and avocado trunk to trunk  considered high density? I want to stop worrying and relax but seeing the huge avocado on my property makes me so worried. My impression is that Florida  avocados cannot he kept small. For lychees I think they can be maintained with pruning and are more slow growing.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2021, 03:51:02 PM »
Sorry Julie I drifted away from the original question into a disneyland of high density chat. That is plenty of room and not really high density. You can keep avocadoes much smaller with pruning. Some varieties like Reed just don't want to be small but they will yield to your pruning and get with the program if you keep at them.

Julie

• Miami, FL, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2021, 10:25:32 PM »
Thanks for the replies

JakeFruit

• Mod Emeritus
  • FL Gulf Coast Fruit Lover Spam Fighter
    • zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2021, 08:25:28 AM »
Being a student of fitting plants in, I am sure that is why I often get called a space cadet. It is surprising how high density planting can be done effectively even with plants in pots. One friend who has a pot plant forest keeps trees small and productive and his starfruit, sugar apples etc are amazing. Tatura trellising of tropicals works really well and jackfruit, mangoes and even durians can be kept small.I am not sure about lychees and haven't seem small trimmed productive trees. The old ideas about spacing are being challenged, and yes the 'dark side of the tree' can still produce.
I have a quasi-amorous relationship with my fruit trees. I keep dozens of them in Pots while we are "dating." Could take years and some may stay in pots forever; those are (as the kids say) my side pieces. Only true loves go in the ground :D

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2021, 09:39:39 AM »
delenda est
« Last Edit: February 08, 2021, 12:53:53 PM by zands »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk