Author Topic: Myrtaceae  (Read 1295 times)

BenG

• Menlo Park, California (Zone 9b)
    • View Profile
Myrtaceae
« on: March 29, 2021, 09:55:05 PM »
I have recently stumbled upon and taken somewhat of an interest in fruit trees in family Myrtaceae; specifically Eugenia, Plinia, and Syzygium. I looked at Grow All The Fruits' video on tropical fruit in the Bay Area, and was just wondering about ppl's experience w/ these, and if they are actually growable and Joe didn't just get lucky?

Thanks!

jason (palo alto)

• Sunset zone 17, USDA 10b Pacific Grove
    • View Profile
Re: Myrtaceae
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2021, 11:26:39 PM »
Lots of them are totally doable. Any specific species you're interested in? To see examples, check out Prusch park in San Jose and Quarry Lakes in Fremont.

BenG

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2021, 04:05:25 PM »
Well, I know I shouldn't do rainforest plums (E. candolleana) or cloves (S. aromaticum). Any other recommendations of what I should avoid/try (jaboticaba perhaps?)? Thanks!

nattyfroootz

• Santa Cruz California
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2021, 04:33:56 PM »
Hey Ben,

I was growing in Redwood City and now live in Santa Cruz.  I have about 150+ species of fruiting plants and have a particular interest in Myrtaceae.  Let me know if you ever want to come by and see what I've got going on.

You can see some more info about what I am successfully growing at my website: www.wildlandsplants.com
Grow cooler fruits

www.wildlandsplants.com

BenG

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2021, 04:50:36 PM »
Very informative website! Thank you!

socalbalcony

• California, South OC, 10B
    • View Profile
    • IG
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2021, 10:31:49 PM »
Hey Ben,

I was growing in Redwood City and now live in Santa Cruz.  I have about 150+ species of fruiting plants and have a particular interest in Myrtaceae.  Let me know if you ever want to come by and see what I've got going on.

You can see some more info about what I am successfully growing at my website: www.wildlandsplants.com

Don't want to hijack this thread but - Nate, when will you have more Guabiju for sale?

jason (palo alto)

• Sunset zone 17, USDA 10b Pacific Grove
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2021, 07:27:28 PM »
Well, I know I shouldn't do rainforest plums (E. candolleana) or cloves (S. aromaticum). Any other recommendations of what I should avoid/try (jaboticaba perhaps?)? Thanks!
The rainforest plums (E. candolleana) grows fine here.
Sundrop (E. victoriana) and Blue jaboticaba on the other hand are pretty hard to impossible.

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2021, 08:50:20 PM »
Eugenia candolleana does well here in Santa Barbara 9b. Most plinia are fine, I leave them outdoors. Pitanga do great, also outdoors all year but they fully undress / defoliate. Cherry of the rio grande and eugenia calcyina may be the winners for 9b. They stay green all year

BenG

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2021, 01:59:43 PM »
UPDATE: My CORG (Cherry of the Rio Grande, E. involucrata aggregata) arrived from 9waters on Etsy a month or so back, and I shade-acclimated it as the instructions told me to. Today, I repotted it and put it outside in a sunny spot. Any tips?

nattyfroootz

• Santa Cruz California
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2021, 02:08:39 PM »
The rainforest plums (E. candolleana) grows fine here.
Sundrop (E. victoriana) and Blue jaboticaba on the other hand are pretty hard to impossible.

It's funny you say that! All my candolleana have died in the hoop house, and my Eugenia victoriana didn't even defoliate!  I do have a blue jabo that hasn't had leaves in about 6 or so months though haha
Grow cooler fruits

www.wildlandsplants.com

BenG

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2021, 02:13:49 PM »
UPDATE: My CORG (Cherry of the Rio Grande, E. involucrata aggregata) arrived from 9waters on Etsy a month or so back, and I shade-acclimated it as the instructions told me to. Today, I repotted it and put it outside in a sunny spot. Any tips?

Also, would pitangatuba be doable? I've been getting mixed results in my research.

Pedroboy

• USA,CA,Pacifica,9b-10A Sunset 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2021, 05:12:28 PM »
I'm out on the San Mateo Coastside, so many of my days are 10 degrees cooler than in Nate's 'hood - although the nighttime lows are probably comparable. I've got a couple of small Pitangatuba plugs - as well as a CORG - from Adam at FFF. They overwintered with no overhead protection without incident, and all are slowly putting out new growth now.

Don't know where you are in MP - if you're in the flats toward the Bay, no worries. Further west toward 280 and Portola Valley / Ladera definitely sees more hard frost than I do, but Eugenia, Plinia stay manageable in pots for so long that moving them to occasional shelter isn't much of a chore - even without a greenhouse.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2021, 05:14:37 PM by Pedroboy »

BenG

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2021, 05:17:57 PM »
I'm in West MP, near El Camino and Downtown, so I'd say I'm about halfway.