Citrus > Cold Hardy Citrus

update on hardy citrus collection in PNW, April 2021

<< < (6/8) > >>

Melenduwir:
What you've said is very true.  And there are a lot of domesticated plants (not just citrus) that reproduce in non-standard ways, especially with formerly non-self-pollinating crop plants adopting self-pollination as a strategy.

But in the long term, plants that don't prioritize crossing tend to be evolutionary dead-ends.

SoCal2warm:
Everything I had outside was killed, with only three exceptions. The Yuzu bushes all died. Except for a tiny own-root Yuzu seedling that was very close to the ground, which doesn't even have any leaves but is trying to bud out some growth.
The Changsha mandarin survived and kept all its leaves, but it was planted in a more protected spot surrounded by bush growth from another plant (escallonia).
The Dunstan citrumelo survived and looks good now, though it lost nearly all of its leaves except for the branches very near to the ground. Even it experienced some die-back if a few smaller branches.
The last was a surprise, the Ichang lemon managed to recover and is sending out some good growth now, even though it was growing in a container. It suffered heavy damage. This Ichang lemon plant has not seemed to be very cold tolerant in previous years. Maybe it is inexplicable luck. The container was not too far away from the house. It survived while a Bloomsweet right next it died.

The other Yuzu plant which is located in the downtown area survived but lost all its leaves. The branches look a healthy green, with only a few grey damage areas on the branch farthest away from the trunk. It is now sending out leaf growth.

Both Ichang papeda plants appear to be dead.

July 1, 2022

SoCal2warm:
Two small updates

One of the Yuzu bushes that I thought was killed seems to be sprouting a few tiny leaflets from its base, right above the graft line.

A seedling that I grew from US-852 citrandarin (poncirus x Changsha) seems to be sprouting up from the ground. I had presumed it was killed back to the ground by the winter, but it is possible my gardener carelessly wacked it down. It is planted in a shady colder part of the yard where hardy citrus has not seemed to do well.

It does appear that I see some green at the very base of one of the Ichang papeda plants, close to the ground. I don't know if it will be able to grow out.

SoCal2warm:
Here is an update.

It has been a very mild winter (December 2023-February 2024) except for a brief period of moderate frost around January 9.

This picture was taken February 8. The Yuzu seedling is doing very good. Its leaves would probably look greener and healthier if it were not for an infestation of spider mites earlier in the year.

It's about 3 feet tall now (or just a little over 3 feet tall since it is sitting on a small mound).

The Changsha also does not look bad, and the leaves on the Ichang lemon look somewhere between not bad to good too.

None of them were covered this year.

drymifolia:

--- Quote from: SoCal2warm on February 11, 2024, 07:29:46 PM ---It has been a very mild winter (December 2023-February 2024) except for a brief period of moderate frost around January 9.

--- End quote ---

Only "moderate frost"?? We had the most severe freeze we've had here since 2014, both in terms of absolute low (14.7°F here in my yard, 15°F at the official Seattle station) and also in terms of the duration of low temperatures (6 days where the high was around or below freezing). I had solid ground at least a couple inches deep by the end of it, couldn't break through with a shovel.

My unprotected yuzu seedling mostly defoliated (with some retaining only the first leaf segment), but the stems look fine:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version