Author Topic: Can Eureka be a good rootstock?  (Read 507 times)

tropic_tester

• Bay Area, CA: USDA10A | Sunset17 | Heat3
    • View Profile
Can Eureka be a good rootstock?
« on: April 09, 2021, 07:13:17 PM »
I'm new to growing fruits and was hoping if people could help. My family has a somewhat large lemon bush that I believe is Eureka. We have never done anything for it (maybe occasionally fertilize it) and it grows pretty much unattended. It's very vigorous but doesn't produce very good lemons (but a lot of them). The fruit is very yellow, and rather large, and the pith is incredibly thick. The new branches are near straight vertical and based on my preliminary research, I have heard that this is may be typical of Eureka.

It's probably due for a trim soon and the new branches are at least thumb size thickness. Assuming it's a Eureka, my question is whether or not these new branches would make suitable rootstock? I've tested them and they can root, just wondering if Eureka is a good base or if its a waste of time. I was hoping to use the rooted cuttings for later grafting other varieties onto in the future.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
Re: Can Eureka be a good rootstock?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2021, 04:19:54 PM »
Eureka lemon is almost never used as a rootstock.  Mostly because the fruit of the scion growing on  it is generally inferior.

tropic_tester

• Bay Area, CA: USDA10A | Sunset17 | Heat3
    • View Profile
Re: Can Eureka be a good rootstock?
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2021, 04:37:03 PM »
Okay! Thanks so much, then I won't bother even trying to root the branches. I'll just trim and mulch them or something.