Author Topic: Plum tree blooming  (Read 721 times)

Lovetoplant

• Oxnard,ca
    • View Profile
Plum tree blooming
« on: April 29, 2021, 02:01:38 PM »
Hello, do I need to give my tree of water while it is flowering.

Does it need lots of water during initial fruit set?

Thank you

Plantinyum

• Bulgaria , near Sofia city , planting zone 7
    • View Profile
Re: Plum tree blooming
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2021, 03:52:34 AM »
If its a newly planted tree, and its dry where youre at u should water . If its a mature established tree , it doesnt need alot of water at the stage of flowering, and it may get what water it need alone if the soil is fairly moist.

Lovetoplant

• Oxnard,ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2021, 07:39:59 PM »
I top worked the old peach tree and grafted plum scions on to it.  The grafts are about 4 years old but gave me very little fruits past years even with heavy flowered.  I want to have lots of fruits this year, but afraid that if I water a lot it will drop all flowers.

Plantinyum

• Bulgaria , near Sofia city , planting zone 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2021, 01:29:22 AM »
I top worked the old peach tree and grafted plum scions on to it.  The grafts are about 4 years old but gave me very little fruits past years even with heavy flowered.  I want to have lots of fruits this year, but afraid that if I water a lot it will drop all flowers.
I think plum on peach is not the best combo, plums get to be big trees and peaches are smallish, I havent tried this but guess its gonna stunt the plum graft a bit .
Just water if it needs it , if the soil is moist dont water, id its drier to the touch water. Its complicated to make a schedule for watering since it depends on weather and other things.....

Lovetoplant

• Oxnard,ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2021, 05:35:00 PM »
I grafted Shiro plum, Santa Rosa plum, Satsuma plum on to it.  They grow surprisingly well. They are catching up in sizes to the only one branch of peach I left .