Author Topic: Quest about Cherimoya shipped from online nursery  (Read 733 times)

BloomAndBurn

• Texas Zone 8b
    • View Profile
    • Bloom&Burn
Quest about Cherimoya shipped from online nursery
« on: May 02, 2021, 12:13:19 AM »
Hi I recently purchased a custard apple tree (red cherimoya) from an online seller and the trees leaves were partially or completely black and had mostly fallen off. There were also spider mites. I wanted to know if this tree is just extremely sensitive and a 5 day trip would naturally do this but it should bounce back or is this something more.

Epicatt2

• Fruit forest in progress . . .
    • Tampa, FL / Zone 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Quest about Cherimoya shipped from online nursery
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2021, 12:55:43 AM »
Water it thoroughly, remove any fallen or dying leaves and keep it in a shady area while it rehydrates and recovers from its traumatic travels in a pitch black box.

Also as you mentioned there seem to be spidermites, be sure to hose the leaves off gently, hitting both upper and lower faces.  Doing so will help discourage the spidermites.

When you notice new leaves emerging you can gradually start to lightly water your tree.  Just don't keep it real wet.  You can increase watering once it has made new leaves.  Once it seems to have recovered you can gradually move it into brighter light and eventually into more sun.  Just don't do that too quickly so as to give the tree time to acclimate to the extra light.

Just as a matter of curiosity which red cultivar did you buy?

Cheers!

Paul M.
==
« Last Edit: May 02, 2021, 01:01:50 AM by Epicatt2 »

Seanny

• Garden Grove, Orange County, California, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2021, 02:11:10 AM »
My cherimoya has leaves burn like those.
Nothing to worry.

BloomAndBurn

• Texas Zone 8b
    • View Profile
    • Bloom&Burn
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2021, 11:29:24 AM »
Water it thoroughly, remove any fallen or dying leaves and keep it in a shady area while it rehydrates and recovers from its traumatic travels in a pitch black box.

Also as you mentioned there seem to be spidermites, be sure to hose the leaves off gently, hitting both upper and lower faces.  Doing so will help discourage the spidermites.

When you notice new leaves emerging you can gradually start to lightly water your tree.  Just don't keep it real wet.  You can increase watering once it has made new leaves.  Once it seems to have recovered you can gradually move it into brighter light and eventually into more sun.  Just don't do that too quickly so as to give the tree time to acclimate to the extra light.

Just as a matter of curiosity which red cultivar did you buy?

Cheers!

Paul M.
==

TY Paul for your response. This makes me feel much better. The three other annonas I have I personally picked up from private sellers so wasn’t sure how these trees responded to shipping. I’m not sure the specific cultivar but even though they called it red cherimoya it’s an Annona Reticulata. I’m mostly looking to use this tree  to graft on as I’ve seen it be successful with atemoya graftings and hoping it will also work with ilama. But this is more of a fun project for me as I am very new to grafting. I just wanted a more established tree than the ones I had so I could start grafting sooner than later.

BloomAndBurn

• Texas Zone 8b
    • View Profile
    • Bloom&Burn
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2021, 11:32:37 AM »
Nothing to worry.

TY Seanny. That’s comforting to know.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2021, 11:36:07 AM »
Nothing to worry.

The OP's plant is a chirimoya aka A. reticulata aka custard apple, not A. cherimola aka cherimoya.  It truly looks like a mess coming from a nursery.   I would be complaining back to the nursery that sold and shipped it.
- Rob

BloomAndBurn

• Texas Zone 8b
    • View Profile
    • Bloom&Burn
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2021, 12:02:31 PM »
Nothing to worry.

The OP's plant is a chirimoya aka A. reticulata aka custard apple, not A. cherimola aka cherimoya.  It truly looks like a mess coming from a nursery.   I would be complaining back to the nursery that sold and shipped it.

Well that was a serious mistake on my part, 😅. TY for correcting me as I may not have even noticed the spelling. I’m so much more familiar with sugar apples and atemoyas. TY bsbullie.