Author Topic: WTB Banana Pups  (Read 866 times)

hawk_941

• San Francisco, CA zone 10
    • View Profile
WTB Banana Pups
« on: May 03, 2021, 11:49:45 PM »
Looking for banana pups in Northern California.  Specifically, Dwarf Namwah, Dwarf Orinoco, California Gold, and/or Raja Puri. 

tropic_tester

• Bay Area, CA: USDA10A | Sunset17 | Heat3
    • View Profile
Re: WTB Banana Pups
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2021, 04:28:40 PM »
If you're not having any luck here and haven't tried yet, maybe ask in a Bay Area fruit growers/gardening facebook group. I'm part of a couple groups, and I know some can be pretty active and know some people are growing them in the south bay.

I'm also around the SF area so would love to hear your experiences growing them when you get your hands on some. I'm more towards the coast so my weather is not considered suitable.

Pedroboy

• USA,CA,Pacifica,9b-10A Sunset 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2021, 11:22:59 PM »
Looking for banana pups in Northern California.  Specifically, Dwarf Namwah, Dwarf Orinoco, California Gold, and/or Raja Puri.

I know it's not on your original list but I have a Goldfinger (maybe two - have to look) that I could cleave away from the mother plant. The mother did bear this last fall, but they're a small bunch. A much younger single stalk Blue Java that I have growing against my neighbor's (masonry) house is a rocket by comparison, but no pups from that one yet. I got that one from a great backyard grower down in La Conchita (Ventura) who regularly posts on CL. A little closer to home, God's Little Acre in Almaden Valley SJ might occasionally stock some of your choices.

Best of luck.

Chris

tropic_tester

• Bay Area, CA: USDA10A | Sunset17 | Heat3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2021, 12:01:34 AM »

I know it's not on your original list but I have a Goldfinger (maybe two - have to look) that I could cleave away from the mother plant. The mother did bear this last fall, but they're a small bunch. A much younger single stalk Blue Java that I have growing against my neighbor's (masonry) house is a rocket by comparison, but no pups from that one yet. I got that one from a great backyard grower down in La Conchita (Ventura) who regularly posts on CL. A little closer to home, God's Little Acre in Almaden Valley SJ might occasionally stock some of your choices.

Best of luck.

Chris

It's great to see someone that's living quite close being able to grow edible bananas. What are your average summer temperatures? Where I live, its probably more around the mid 60's so not having enough heat is my biggest worry about trying to grow bananas.

Pau

• California
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2021, 12:42:43 AM »
I have a type from a friend whom said it it was gold finger. I have two small pulps on the ground if you are interested.

Pedroboy

• USA,CA,Pacifica,9b-10A Sunset 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2021, 02:20:52 AM »

Best of luck.

Chris

It's great to see someone that's living quite close being able to grow edible bananas. What are your average summer temperatures? Where I live, its probably more around the mid 60's so not having enough heat is my biggest worry about trying to grow bananas.

Contrary to Bay Area mythology, the southern end of Pacifica is routinely quite a bit warmer than SF's Sunset or Richmond Districts - and much of Twin Peaks environs, for that matter. Sweeney and Milagra Ridges to the north and Montara Mtn. to the southeast tend to provide a sunny halo on many summer days when Westlake, Pacific Manor and Sharp Park are socked in. Mid 70's in my southwest facing garden are pretty typical June-October, but July can definitely have its dismal stretches.

The real limiting factor that separates us from the rest of the Central Coast is summer nighttime highs that still regularly dip into the low 50's while folks are still out strolling the SC Beach Boardwalk in t shirts and shorts just an hour south. My Annona definitely don't start to make a big push until May in an average year.

Any of the usual available advantages that can be exploited - masonry walls and hardscape - are helpful. I also bagged the Goldfinger fruit (frosted trashbag) last winter to accelerate things a bit. Blue Java (Ice Cream) is reputed to be even more productive in my cooler setting - we'll see this fall.