Author Topic: Question when to remove grafting tape from top of mango scion  (Read 1300 times)

GFC

• High Springs Florida Zone 8b
    • View Profile
 How much growth do I need to see before removing grafting tape from the top section of mango scion. I also placed a plastic bag over the scion. I performed the graft on 4/28. This was my first graft attempt. Thanks

Jagmanjoe

• USA, Florida, Lakeland, 9A
    • View Profile
Re: Question when to remove grafting tape from top of mango scion
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2021, 01:50:57 PM »
How much growth do I need to see before removing grafting tape from the top section of mango scion. I also placed a plastic bag over the scion. I performed the graft on 4/28. This was my first graft attempt. Thanks

Looks like your first attempt went very well.  Let me preface my response by saying that I just recently started grafting myself so hopefully others that are more knowledgeable will chime in.  I had one that looked very similar to that which I left without removing the tape only to see it die off.  I have others that I took the time to remove the tape very carefully and they are doing well.  I would not remove any tape at the graft itself until it has had at least 6 weeks to take a good hold.  I also bagged some mine and the best success I had was loosening the bag for several days before removing it completely.  Also, work it into direct sunlight very slowly as too much direct sun can damage it.  Finally, for what it is worth, I also tried to feed some liquid fertilizer to some of the seedlings that had successful grafts and most of the ones that only had small starter leaves did not make it - probably due to over fertilization.  Those that had nice full growth before the liquid fertilizer seem to be doing very well. 

This is just my short term  experience but I hope it is of some use to you.

Tommyng

• Acreage florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2021, 01:57:47 PM »
Wait for two flushes. These little flushes could be from the scions’ energy reserves so it’s not a sure thing there is a good union yet. I had one graft take a whole year to have a flush.
Don’t rush, take time and enjoy life and food.

Jagmanjoe

• USA, Florida, Lakeland, 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2021, 03:06:55 PM »
Wait for two flushes. These little flushes could be from the scions’ energy reserves so it’s not a sure thing there is a good union yet. I had one graft take a whole year to have a flush.

Thanks for that input.  It sounds very solid to give the graft plenty of time to take.

GFC

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2021, 05:57:18 PM »
Thanks for all the responses.

UplanderCA

• USA,SoCal, Upland, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2021, 07:08:16 PM »
GFC,
I agree with the responses to your post.  Something else to consider is the type of grafting tape used.  If you used Buddy Tape or Parafilm grafting tape, there is no need to remove the grafting tape.  They will breakdown naturally.
Cheers,
Tony

GFC

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2021, 08:40:20 PM »
Tony I used PE tape. Thanks

UplanderCA

• USA,SoCal, Upland, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2021, 01:39:56 PM »
GFC,
The PE (polyethylene) grafting tape will require some extra monitoring.  After 2 or 3 growth flushes, it should be safe enough to remove the grafting tape around the new growth areas.  You can remove the grafting tape from the grafted area if the grafted area looks solid and has healed well - 6 weeks should be enough time for the graft to set.
Tony