Author Topic: Loquat varieties  (Read 2842 times)

mango_kush

• Ft Lauderdale
    • View Profile
Loquat varieties
« on: May 15, 2021, 06:49:48 PM »
interested in picking up a single loquat tree, so it must be self pollinating. There are alot of Florida varieties that are junk imo.  Best tasting I've had so far is Oliver, but the fruit is small.  I'm looking for acid and sweet flavor and large size.  The nursery by me has a few varieties

Barbie
Eds delight
Rays fav
Golden Nugget
Champagne
Christmas
Yehuda

Any of these varieties really standout?

CarolinaZone

• USA,NC,7B
    • View Profile
Re: Loquat varieties
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2021, 08:16:16 PM »
What nursery is that? Ok. I own several loquats but none have fruited for me except...Bradenton. I am looking for some large early ones but I have not had found any guaranteed winners. Bradenton tastes sweet tart with more sweet than tart and I would say the fruit is small and tastes so close to apricot I would think it was a apricot if I didn't know any better. It doesn't have that unique "loquat" flavor to me.

Nyuu

• Florida , lake placid 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2021, 07:57:20 AM »
Bradenton and Yehuda are two of my favorites .
And about Barbie loquat is pretty new variety I believe came from Hopkins .
I may get Barbie loquat to add to my little collection to taste test

QBcooler

• South of France - Narbonne
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2021, 05:19:49 PM »
Could you please supply me with nursery or contact... Côté i am looking into getting some scion into France to graft...
Its quite complicatéd from hère to find thé right people

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2021, 02:05:48 AM »
« Last Edit: January 20, 2022, 02:35:26 AM by sc4001992 »

TnTrobbie

• runs with pruners
  • ZonePusher has a spot for that.
    • 10b + 9b FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2022, 10:00:27 PM »
I recently got a hold of 2x 7 gal size loquat trees var. "Ray's Fav". They had fruit of them of different stages of ripe. I tasted the deep orange fleshed ones first....and oh my- delicious. First bite was very sweet with the overwhelming tone of coconut :O first followed by carrots. It was delicious. Caveat...the plants were in pots for a while with a bit of dry soil. But damn...they were delicious!

Among my young in ground trees that are holding fruit, var. "Barbie" are the first to flower and set allot of fruit in my area. Been enjoying ripe fruit of different stages the past 3 days and they are satisfying. Sweet...lemony...very juicy...the size of a med/large egg.
The Earth laughs in flowers. And bear gifts through fruits.
No where to plant it ...but at least I got it. ;)
F*ck squirrels and deers

GFC

• High Springs Florida Zone 8b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2022, 11:54:37 PM »
I recently got a hold of 2x 7 gal size loquat trees var. "Ray's Fav". They had fruit of them of different stages of ripe. I tasted the deep orange fleshed ones first....and oh my- delicious. First bite was very sweet with the overwhelming tone of coconut :O first followed by carrots. It was delicious. Caveat...the plants were in pots for a while with a bit of dry soil. But damn...they were delicious!

Among my young in ground trees that are holding fruit, var. "Barbie" are the first to flower and set allot of fruit in my area. Been enjoying ripe fruit of different stages the past 3 days and they are satisfying. Sweet...lemony...very juicy...the size of a med/large egg.

Where did u get the Ray's fav

TnTrobbie

• runs with pruners
    • 10b + 9b FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2022, 07:40:33 AM »
Wild Flamingo Nursery in Broward (Orange Rd parallel to Griffin Rd, 1 mile west of Flamingo Rd). It's under new management, but I know they got most if not all of their trees from Hopkins Nursery.
F*ck squirrels and deers

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2022, 11:34:43 AM »
Peluche is the best I have tried.
Large fruit and best flavor, also have large leaves and nice looking tree

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2022, 11:46:35 AM »
Buy a good growing variety and graft some nice stuff to it.
There is a gentleman on the forum, actually more than one with several great varieties to try.

I did something similar.  I got a seedling from a member (gnappi) several years ago, and grafted on to a few branches so I could get fruits earlier than the seedling.  It worked and I got a few fruits of Big Jim, Avri and Peluche in the last few years.  Glad I left a couple of branches of the seedling though because I tried a fruit from it for the first time this season and it is a great fruit.  Good size and knock out taste (thanks gnappi for the seedling).

Viking Guy on the forum (Adam of AKME Gardens??) is one, and
sc4001992  from California has several including some named varieties that he selected.
I am sure there are others.  Just get a good rootstock for Florida and graft away.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2022, 12:04:40 PM by Orkine »

kapps

• Florida, Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2022, 07:32:53 PM »
Champagne is good. It has a nice sour/tart taste until fully ripe and then it’s very sweet. It does have a pretty large seed compared to the amount of flesh, though.

TnTrobbie

• runs with pruners
    • 10b + 9b FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2022, 12:05:04 PM »
Had an opportunity to taste some fruit from var. "Oliver". They were school bus orange ripe. Very sweet and carroty with an average brix of 19. Though fruits were on the small size, they were delicious. var. "Barbie" has continued to impress me. Juicy, citrusy, and sweet- akin to eating Trinidad "Portugals" (citrus deliciosa). The fruits are big too.
F*ck squirrels and deers