Author Topic: New bees in my yard  (Read 1567 times)

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
New bees in my yard
« on: May 21, 2021, 12:54:31 PM »
I've been wanting bees to visit my yard for years, and since yesterday a hive started in an overturned pot on the ground next to my lychee. The pix of "good" bees don't appear to match, but the africanized pix I saw do.

I have inadvertently been within two feet of them while picking lychee and they seem to ignore me.

So, Q's.

1. Are these africanized bees?
2. If so can I use bee / wasp killer to remove them?
3. If not africanized should I just leave them alone? My dog runs around the yard and I'd be concerned that she might get interested in them and get attacked.

Regards,

Gary

Sunrisefruit

• Sunrise, Florida
    • View Profile
Re: New bees in my yard
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2021, 01:15:57 PM »
i don't know much about bees but those seem to be European bees.. based on this pic comparison that i found on the web

JakeFruit

• Mod Emeritus
  • FL Gulf Coast Fruit Lover Spam Fighter
    • zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2021, 02:41:23 PM »
There's really no way to tell using only photos. If you got as close as it seems to take the photo, they are not Africanized/killer bees. Africanized bees are very defensive and aggressive, acting more like yellow jackets or other aggressive wasps (which will attack anything that gets remotely close to their nest).

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2021, 03:42:20 PM »
Most likely hybridized.  Dont kill them.  Call a bee removal company.

Dont wear any bright colored clothes around (like bright yellows).
- Rob

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2021, 04:12:18 PM »
if they arent agressive then leave them alone or maybe buy a proper hive and put it right next to the pot up on a stand. 
Brad Spaugh

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2021, 04:50:06 PM »
The lady from the local honey store said the wild bees in Florida are
100% hybrids. They may not even stay if the spot isn't ideal.  I  wouldn't
kill them. I like the idea of getting a good box and making them happy.
How much honey does a worker bee make in it's life?

https://www.bing.com/search?q=how+much+honey+does+one+bee+make+in+its+life&form=ANNNB1&refig=bd1ffda345894cab999fe4d9efd89464&sp=3&qs=RI&pq=how+much+does+one+bee+make&sk=PRES1RI2&sc=3-26&cvid=bd1ffda345894cab999fe4d9efd89464

Sandiegojane

• San Diego, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2021, 08:01:38 PM »
Keep them if you can and get a hive box, as others have said.  What is most problematic (other than aggressive behavior) is if they decide to build a hive within the structure of your house.  Getting rid of them may require tearing down drywall and cleaning out any honey that they've produced before sealing up, otherwise a new colony may be attracted to the residual honey.

On the other hand, my next-door neighbor relocated an existing hive (for honey production) to his yard earlier this year.  He was worried that we'd be upset by the bees. Not! My Holiday avocado tree, which has never set more than 4-6 fruit/year in over 10 years that I've had it no matter what I've done, this year has scores of baby avocados.

If you absolutely must kill them, malathion works.  I previously lived in very urban area where bees would be a big problem, and wound up with a colony in my open compost pile.  I purchased malathion concentrate in a hose-end sprayer and sprayed the pile during the evening (after dark, when bees are less active) from about 20-30 feet away.  It worked very well and no one got stung.

Today, I would call a relocation service if I could not keep a hive.  But I keep some malathion around in case of an emergency.

FLnative

• Palm Beach County Florida 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2021, 09:13:28 PM »
I had some swarming bees in the past and by removing what was drawing them, specifically for me was a bunch of areca palm inflorescences, they moved on. Also, a quick way to evict them would  to up righted the pot. How to do this it safely is another issue.

cbss_daviefl

• USA, Southwest Ranches,FL 33331, 10B
    • View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2021, 10:22:08 PM »
Bees took over my derelict horse barn. I paid to have them removed and a new swarm moved in 3 weeks later. I gave up on the barn. They are great for lychee and many other fruit's pollination. Every once in a while, I receive a warning from a guard bee that I have gotten too close to the hive, which will aggressively buzz around my face. I resist the urge to swat with my hands and haul ass away from the hive, running as fast as my feet will take me. Using this tactic, I come away without being stung.  Maybe when I retire I will learn about bee keeping.
Brandon

palmcity

• Martin County, Fl zone10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2021, 11:12:07 PM »
Bees took over my derelict horse barn. I paid to have them removed and a new swarm moved in 3 weeks later. I gave up on the barn.
Once a bee hive has been in a location, the scent will be on the wood when the bees are removed and yes you should expect other swarms to want to build in the same spot if dry and protected... Bees do not like wet areas if you want to turn your sprayer on the area they will probably leave in a few weeks, especially if getting wet continually...

Other Ways for other Days:::

Bees die easily from most toxins.
1. Not recommended by me as not recommended by the state as far as I know...3 oz of dawn or other dish detergent in a gallon of water sprayed on bees will kill them within 1 hr. Of course the insect killers listed like malathion would kill faster if accidentally exposed to bees.
2. Not recommended by me as not recommended by the state as far as I know.... But FYI Flea room fogger: At night when bees are in the hive resting, if a can is set off with wind blowing into the pot of bees or corner of barn... Many will be killed. Usually a few days later ants & other bees are stealing the remaining resources from the hive and often it dwindles away. Some will drop a second can in front of hive in a few nights. Very unlikely the hive will survive repeated attacks of fogger...   Even the mosquito fogger truck going down streets can kill some bees but usually too far away from the hive for large dead numbers to appear.... Example of fogger: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Hot-Shot-Fogger-2-oz-Aerosol-with-Odor-Neutralizer-3-Count-HG-96180-1/204685948?source=shoppingads&locale=en-US&mtc=Shopping-B-F_D28O-G-D28O-28_1_CHEMICALS-NA-NA-NA-SMART-NA-NA-SMART_SHP&cm_mmc=Shopping-B-F_D28O-G-D28O-28_1_CHEMICALS-NA-NA-NA-SMART-NA-NA-SMART_SHP-71700000059845719-58700005436056249-92700049554889054&gclid=CjwKCAjwtJ2FBhAuEiwAIKu19pVO7TlOMkXYRi6wzKaTjNN8GFmZzzo6RGcLQ3ZsJpeJWTkJDZ7LthoC4OUQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
« Last Edit: May 21, 2021, 11:18:46 PM by palmcity »

dwfl

• Bokeelia
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2021, 11:03:02 AM »
If you don't have them removed just be careful around them and avoid them especially on a lawn mower. People die every year from mowing too close to a hive.

palmcity

• Martin County, Fl zone10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2021, 11:31:49 AM »
Wow, I just googled bee pest removal and tons of literature & youtube videos are available now. There is no need for any ideas as they are all online now lol...

I'm not going to review them all but this first one I checked had a lot of new ideas for removal or eradication.

https://pestkilled.com/how-to-get-rid-of-bees/

If eradication is desired, night time is less activity but they will still fly toward lights at night if attacked so be careful if holding a flashlight.

Mango Stein

• Zone 7a
    • Schengen frontier
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2021, 12:10:44 PM »
Either way, you have newbies in your yard
Eugenia luschnathiana = CURUIRI.    Talisia esculenta = PITOMBA
I do not recommend people deal with Fruit Lovers, Prisca Mariya or Fernando Malpartida

CarolinaZone

• USA,NC,7B
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2021, 06:12:35 PM »
Better safe than sorry. Call a professional to get them removed without killing them if you have the money.

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2021, 09:44:45 AM »

buddy roo

• Spring Valley, Ca.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2021, 10:39:39 AM »
Hi Gary, I had the same thing happen to me twice they moved in to a upside down #15 pot first ones the ant's got to second I had a beekeeper come out and transfer the bees to a hive and place on my roof out of sight out of mind, she did this free in exchange for share of honey the bees where africanized but not bothersome, they have sense left the hive. I now have a  "Home made " Kenyan top bar hive made from scrap lumber in the middle of my garden it to is from a feral swarm of Africanized Bees but if you change replace the queen with a new  mated European queen in about 6 weeks you will have a hive of gentle European bees and it does make a dig difference in the pollination of your trees. you may want to check your local bee club for someone to help you with this also if you are going to get rid of the bees there are bee keepers who will do simple removals for free as the bees are worth so much money

sapote

• USA, CA, Burbank, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2021, 05:51:19 PM »
i don't know much about bees but those seem to be European bees.. based on this pic comparison that i found on the web

European honey bees should have blond long legs as in the 2nd pic :)

sapote

• USA, CA, Burbank, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2021, 05:55:48 PM »
Dont wear any bright colored clothes around (like bright yellows).

Do the opposite: don't wear dark color clothes such as black, dark brown. Notice bees love to sting your eyebrow and head (with hairs, not bald)? They hate bears and so try not to look  like a bear.

Notice all beekeepers wear whites?
« Last Edit: May 26, 2021, 06:08:14 PM by sapote »

sapote

• USA, CA, Burbank, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2021, 06:00:04 PM »
. If you got as close as it seems to take the photo, they are not Africanized/killer bees.

Too soon to tell. Wait until they have babies then he will find out. I used to have a big Africanized hive in the attic, hanging on the roof. Chased us around when my daughter and I played tennis on the driveway. I keep them for about 5 years as security guards until when we need to remodel the kitchen, then I asked them to move out, sorry.

sapote

• USA, CA, Burbank, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2021, 06:05:21 PM »
I have inadvertently been within two feet of them while picking lychee and they seem to ignore me.

So, Q's.

1. Are these africanized bees?
2. If so can I use bee / wasp killer to remove them?
3. If not africanized should I just leave them alone? My dog runs around the yard and I'd be concerned that she might get interested in them and get attacked.
1. Only can tell after about 3 to 4 weeks when they have babies and honey to guard from thieves live us.
2.  Don't kill them this way. You could force them to leave using water hose as in your case it's easy with them in the upside down pot -- fill the water in that entrance hole and they will leave after a few tries. They don't like to have the combs wet and develop fungus.
3. If not aggressive, then give them a chance. Dog will learn after one sting, no harm no foul. When you need to be close -- picking fruits -- hold your breath or turn your face away from bees,  and wear a white hat, clothes. Don't let them touch your hairs -- it feel like bear furs.

« Last Edit: May 28, 2021, 10:55:07 PM by sapote »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk