Author Topic: What's the first thing you do when you get a new plant home?  (Read 3210 times)

CarolinaZone

• USA,NC,7B
    • View Profile
Most of my plant are in pots so I wanted to ask other forum members what there regimen was in hopes of gaining knowledge.

I usually repot the plant to a larger potsize and spray for bugs. When I was buying plants from a particular nursery I would always spray with fungicide because everything  I brought back from them ended up with fungus.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: What's the first thing you do when you get a new plant home?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2021, 12:12:29 PM »
Plant them.

Ok, since you are growing in pits, why be so aggressive?  If they NEED to be uppotted, than so be it but maybe select trees, when possible, that are not at that stage.  A smaller tree that does not require instant uppotting will be a healthier tree in the long run.

As for spraying chemicals,  if the tree gas pests or disease, then again, so be it.. but, as with the tree size, why select trees that are coming with these issues? 
- Rob

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2021, 01:32:59 PM »
Hand my wife a shovel. :)
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2021, 01:40:36 PM »

Someone is going to be headed to the doghouse.
- Rob

Plantinyum

• Bulgaria , near Sofia city , planting zone 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2021, 05:05:35 PM »
Get bored with it in a few seconds and start to think bout what other plant to buy 😂😂😂

Now on a more serious manner, I just inspect for diseases, insect problems and other problems in general . Repotting right away is also a need in some cases...

CarolinaZone

• USA,NC,7B
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2021, 05:52:34 PM »
Does anybody else un-stake their plants? I usually un-stake anything that doesn't seem to need it.

eyeckr

• Virginia Beach, VA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2021, 06:01:03 PM »
I also un-stake whenever possible right away so they can build up a nice trunk. Keeping them staked too long makes you end up with a weak trunked, floppy tree.

CarolinaZone

• USA,NC,7B
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2021, 06:04:20 PM »
Plant them.

Ok, since you are growing in pits, why be so aggressive?  If they NEED to be uppotted, than so be it but maybe select trees, when possible, that are not at that stage.  A smaller tree that does not require instant uppotting will be a healthier tree in the long run.

As for spraying chemicals,  if the tree gas pests or disease, then again, so be it.. but, as with the tree size, why select trees that are coming with these issues?
In general I try to pick the trees I buy on a few factors:
  • Vigor
  • Caliper size of the trunk
  • Is it already fruiting in the pot
The issues with bugs is that I don't want to transport anything new my state and I know I have checked for bugs that I didn't find until I got back home. I use a fungicide because of issues I have had before. I haven't seen any ill effects.

I wish I could plant them all but I am growing things outside of zone. I sacrificed a white sapote last year. Tangerines survived the North Carolina winter. Mr Sapote bit the dust. The next thing that will be tested is an avocado and a Cherry of the Rio Grande.

TropicalFruitHunters

• USA, Columbus, OH, xxxxx Zone 5b
    • View Profile
    • Tropical Fruit Hunters
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2021, 06:28:11 PM »
Leave them alone for a week or so.  They might already be stressed from the shipping, why stress them more by immediately repotting or planting?  They've been doing absolutely fine at the nursery in their current container, another week or so isn't going to hurt.  My 2 cents.

3rdgrey

• USA,Fl,9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2021, 06:43:49 PM »
Depends. If I buy them at a nursery and put them inside the truck with me (I've put some large mango trees in there!), then I might plant them when I get home or in a few days. If the tree rides in the bed, it gets wind blown and I'll give it a week. The nursery I order from online is only a day away for shipping ( two hrs if I drive). They will also get a couple of days/1 wk. I will also spray them all for bugs and fungus. Doesn't seem to hurt.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2021, 07:11:19 PM »
Plant them.

• Vigor
  • Caliper size of the trunk
  • Is it already fruiting in the pot
The issues with bugs is that I don't want to transport anything new my state and I know I have checked for bugs that I didn't find until I got back home. I use a fungicide because of issues I have had before. I haven't seen any ill effects.

I wish I could plant them all but I am growing things outside of zone. I sacrificed a white sapote last year. Tangerines survived the North Carolina winter. Mr Sapote bit the dust. The next thing that will be tested is an avocado and a Cherry of the Rio Grande.

I dont agree with your plant selection protocol .  I would select best health as a 3 gal.  Definitely forget about worrying if it has fruit on it or has fruited.  That does not mean anything and can be more detrimental. Going for largest caliper, from most nurseries, almost always means its been in that pot too long and will not have the healthiest rootball.

By buying a healthy 3 gal, you will be able to best control it for your conditions.
- Rob

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2021, 07:34:38 PM »

My granddad's brother would yell to his wife when friends arrived, "Hey! Stop mowing the grass and get over here and make us some drinks," as he sat on the porch and socialized.

No one knows what happened to him.

...I always spray new plants with water mist and put in shady place with other plants. Never hit them with chemicals. If diseased, would throw in garbage.

Repot them after a few days or a week or so

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2021, 07:51:25 PM »
Vigor
Caliper size of the trunk
Is it already fruiting in the pot

I want to see a thick diameter trunk. But even more important, a thick trunk down at the bottom. Down at the base. A good foundation for future growth.
Also good is lots of healthy branching out and lots of healthy leaves.
Obviously stout and green leafy is better than willowy and tall.

I just went outside to double check a mango tree I bought last month. Yes it has a thick base that is larger diameter than the trunk. Yes I was partly lured into buying it by the three young fruits hanging. After looking at them for a week I removed them which was very painful.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2021, 08:17:26 PM by zands »

CarolinaZone

• USA,NC,7B
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2021, 09:51:07 AM »
I have had a few experiences that make me lean toward the tree that has fruit and the one that has not. One would be the trees that I have bought that have been duds. Anything that takes more than 5 years to fruit is not what I am interested in. I think almost anybody who buys fruit trees wants to eat fruit. What I have seen is if the plant is already fruiting you at least know it will not make you wait too long. The other thing is cultivar. I have had someplants labeled as "red" but there in fact "green".

CHN90

• USA, TX, Spring, 8b
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2021, 12:37:50 PM »

My granddad's brother would yell to his wife when friends arrived, "Hey! Stop mowing the grass and get over here and make us some drinks," as he sat on the porch and socialized.

No one knows what happened to him.

Fertilizer 🙂

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2021, 07:11:03 PM »
Yeah right.  And she'd clobber you over the head with it!
John

Raycey

• Alexandria
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2021, 11:35:59 PM »
Give it some water, to growing big and beautiful.

Raycey

• Alexandria
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2021, 06:42:58 AM »
I have a lot of plants on my balcony, and I like to go there in the mornings and water them, while enjoying the sunrise and the warm summer mornings. The only thing was that I didn't like the surface where I put them, it didn't look natural, so I bought some artificial grass from artificialgrass-manchester.co.uk, and now it looks way better. Everything is so green, and a few flowers which are about to bloom, can't wait to see them.

greg794855

• louisiana
    • View Profile
    • Camu Camu
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2021, 07:27:28 AM »
I immediately start looking into how useful the plants are and when I can start gaining from the cost. Prior to purchase I research what other people did to grow the plant. I don’t necessarily use those methods but I use it as a suggestion. Once I get the plant home I use a well rounded soil for about 2-4 weeks. I monitor for amending and add nutrients to promote a more individualized soil composition. I want good food, hence the reason for the plant purchase. At some point I also think of what I might need to go along with it. Then I start research on that.
I grow Camu Camu, it’s what I do.
Www.camucamufarms.com

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2021, 08:28:48 AM »
The first thing I do is threaten anyone who may be tempted to mess with it. I also put a lot of effort into leaving it alone for a while.

cassowary

• Australia FNQ 13a Tropical Monsoon
    • View Profile
    • cassowaryseeds
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2021, 11:32:31 PM »
Put it in a bucket of water and then after a day I Ideally put them into a bigger pot since all plant's iv got from people or shops are in a too small pot for my method of planting tree's.
I put them in a bucket of water because the majority also suffer from mild dehydration due to potting mix with low water retention or neglect by carer. 
CASSOWARYSEEDS.COM
Seed shop and Seed exchange

LeviSais213

« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2022, 01:52:09 PM »
spammer
« Last Edit: July 21, 2022, 08:54:22 AM by JakeFruit »

CarolinaZone

• USA,NC,7B
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2022, 10:05:16 AM »
Thanks everybody for the advice.

Lucifermonkey

• West Palm Beach - 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2022, 10:29:34 AM »
Deep water. Quarantine away from other plants in partial shade for about a week. Check for pests/disease and treat if necessary. Up pot if necessary or plant in ground with light organic fertilizer. Enjoy! 😃

Victoria Ave

• Riverside CA zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2022, 12:37:04 PM »
Show it around, introduce it to the rest of the gang