Author Topic: Sugarloaf or Pineapple Pleasure  (Read 6631 times)

Honest Abe

• Biscayne Park, FL
    • View Profile
Sugarloaf or Pineapple Pleasure
« on: June 14, 2021, 10:10:29 PM »
That is the question..

They are hands down my two favorite mangos by a long shot.

Does Pineapple Pleasure produce well?
Disease resistant?

My sugarloaf already flowered and fruited in 2 years in ground,but that’s not enough time to tell me much.The Fruits dropped and the male flowers were terribly dominant, but hoping for next Year success.

BETWEEN THE TWO, WHICH ONE WOULD YOU PLANT?

I want opinions and pros and cons if anyone has grown either or both.
Thank you

-Abe

« Last Edit: June 14, 2021, 10:44:08 PM by Honest Abe »

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
Re: Sugarloaf or Pineapple Pleasure
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2021, 09:58:11 AM »
There are probably not too many people who are growing both.
John

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2021, 10:03:34 AM »
That is the question..

They are hands down my two favorite mangos by a long shot.

Does Pineapple Pleasure produce well?
Disease resistant?

My sugarloaf already flowered and fruited in 2 years in ground,but that’s not enough time to tell me much.The Fruits dropped and the male flowers were terribly dominant, but hoping for next Year success.

BETWEEN THE TWO, WHICH ONE WOULD YOU PLANT?

I want opinions and pros and cons if anyone has grown either or both.
Thank you

-Abe

Based on names I would go for the P-Pleasure. Sugarloaf sounds too sweet.  Zill named a mango after a Vermont or Maine ski resort? I also would like to hear more (just might buy one) about the Pineapple Pleasurer production and fungus/disease resistance.  Growing habit, if it likes grow skyward (aka upright grower) or it is easy to maintain lower and bushy such as Pickering. Or somewhere in between.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2021, 10:06:42 AM by zands »

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2021, 10:08:52 AM »
I seem to recall, quite possibly from Truly Tropical videos, that Pineapple Pleasure is a very small tree.
John

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2021, 10:47:03 AM »
I am sure many are growing both.  I know I am.. for me, Pineapple Pleasure has medium plus vigor but in no way should be classified as a small tree.

A properly ripened Pineapple Pleasure may be one of the best mangoes (and I say this as a big proponent of E4).
- Rob

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2021, 11:00:38 AM »
I am sure many are growing both.  I know I am.. for me, Pineapple Pleasure has medium plus vigor but in no way should be classified as a small tree.

A properly ripened Pineapple Pleasure may be one of the best mangoes (and I say this as a big proponent of E4).
Well good.  I hope we hear from them.
John

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2021, 01:31:25 PM »

Pineapple pleasure is definitely a bottom tier mango.
Really who wants a mango that tastes like a pineapple when you can have a pineapple that tastes like a mango.
Sorry Abe. I am just really angry with Rob right now. It may take a few more days for me to get over it.Lol  >:( Before anyone ask me which pineapple. My retort is Sugarloaf! It's mangolicious. >:(
« Last Edit: June 15, 2021, 02:03:17 PM by bovine421 »
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2021, 01:42:01 PM »

Really who wants a mango that tastes like a pineapple when you can have a pineapple that tastes like a mango.
Sorry Abe. I am just really angry with Rob right now. It may take a few more days for me to get over it.Lol  >:(

I'm so peeved, gonna go topwork Pineapple Pleasure with Glenn. Take that!

Honest Abe

• Biscayne Park, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2021, 03:05:53 PM »
I agree with Rob on quality of Pineapple Pleasure , The perfectly ripe pineapple pleasure I had last night was without question the best mango I’ve tasted in my life.

I now have the first bit of info I’ve had on the Pineapple Pleasure tree thanks to Rob, is anyone else growing it? Disease resistance, productivity?

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2021, 03:35:09 PM »
I agree with Rob on quality of Pineapple Pleasure , The perfectly ripe pineapple pleasure I had last night was without question the best mango I’ve tasted in my life.

I now have the first bit of info I’ve had on the Pineapple Pleasure tree thanks to Rob, is anyone else growing it? Disease resistance, productivity?

Mine has no disease issues out in Wellington.  From what I was told by the powers, its not precocious...and with the size of the fruit, you wouldn'twant a small tree to try and hold a large fruit.  Mine has been in ground since May 2017.  Flowered well and set some fruit...then old man winter and the frost took care of the fruit.
- Rob

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2021, 03:42:47 PM »
I’m not in Florida but I have horrible fungal disease issues and both E4 and Pineapple Pleasure set fruit. My Pineapple Pleasure bud graft has grown very vigorously. These grafts are only about a year old. The Pineapple Pleasure graft is growing so vigorously that I will let it hold fruit to slow its growth. I will probably remove the fruit from the E4.

E4

And Pineapple Pleasure

Simon

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2021, 03:49:49 PM »
Pineapple Pleasure

Simon

BIT

• West Bradenton Fl. 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2021, 04:13:37 PM »
I haven't tasted either but I planted a 3 gal. Pineapple Pressure 2 years ago. It flowered both years but no fruit set. I did notice some white powdery mildew on the flowers this year but I have it tucked in a shady humid area of the yard. I plan on grafting one and planting it out in the open.

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2021, 04:17:08 PM »
Harsh! Condemnatory! Accusatory! I have never eaten one (this is for amateurs) but my rating is at least mid-tier for Pineapple Pleasure.

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2021, 04:18:23 PM »
Pineapple Pleasure

Simon
IOW a magnet for four legged thieves.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2021, 05:19:51 PM »
Pineapple Pleasure

Simon
IOW a magnet for four legged thieves.

Once they start sizing up, they are a drab ugly green, ripening to partial to full shades of pale, dirty yellow.  They are, however, quite large (in the 1.5 - 2lb range).
- Rob

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2021, 06:33:38 PM »
So much for PP being a scant producer. Seems the Socal cool winter nights are a blessing for the light bearers.

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2021, 07:22:13 PM »
Harsh! Condemnatory! Accusatory! I have never eaten one (this is for amateurs) but my rating is at least mid-tier for Pineapple Pleasure.
I was being facetious about pineapple pleasure because Rob said that Carrie is bottom tier. I agree with your assessment that pineapple pleasure is mid-tier. But then again i may have not had it at flavour. As for Carries cohorts so far they have been bottom tier for me. I know Rob does these things on purpose just to see who he can trigger.  He got me on that one. I am still quite vexed >:(
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2021, 07:41:15 PM »
I dont do it for any reason.  I truly dont like Carrie.

I have a feeling you haven't had a properly ripened Pineapple Pleasure.   When right, its fricking amazing.

When PP and ST were just numbered fruit, long before the plants were for sale, I know a number of people didn't like them due to their tart, or even sour, profile but that was due to being picked green.  They never sweetened up.  Once people tried them properly picked, they became all the rage.
- Rob

Sleepdoc

• Davie, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2021, 07:46:41 PM »
In 2012 I hat racked an Alphonso tree I was growing because the fruit were so terrible.  I top worked Pineapple Pleasure onto the stump.  It took it awhile to get going, but now it’s a heavy producer.  Mine is a medium/large tree with a wide and open canopy.  I definitely have not trimmed it back enough, but I wanted to keep getting a lot of fruit.  This year, it’s loaded.  Has to be a couple hundred ponds of fruit on it, they are really big.  Not as big as Keitt, but almost.  Overall mine has had reasonable disease tolerance, but definitely has had - couple low production years, maybe fungal related.  This year it’s a total champ, as the weather has been phenomenal.

It tastes really good IMO. At this point I don’t like it as much as a Fruit Punch, Seacrest, Lemon Zest, or Dot- but it’s very close.  Those that like a bit more acid than I do, may find it is pushing for their #1.

Honest Abe

• Biscayne Park, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2021, 09:47:53 PM »
Thanks sleepdoc, that’s very valuable info. That might just push me over the edge to top work another one of my trees to P.P. Considering I’m way east of you close to Biscayne Bay.

I have never tried sea crest, or lemon zest BUT I have some of each ripening in my garage now.

weiss613

• Miami
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2021, 01:12:47 AM »
Abey Baby we have the exact same tastes because my #1’s are tied which are PP and SL. I have 12 trees of PP and 13 trees of SL. From the 12 PP I have 5 maybe 6 PP. I knew it wasn’t a productive tree before I planted the 12 but I didn’t care because I’m not in this to make money and I tell everyone who visits that those PP’s are like possessing gold. I can’t wait to see the look on my grandchildren’s faces when they taste their first PP in the next few weeks. My 5 are spotless but almost every fruit here is spotless. I did things the last 18 months that caused all my trees to be less productive like feeding them nitrogen and radical pruning so the fact I only have 5 fruit is meaningless. My SL’s were only in the ground 2 years this season so I picked off all the baby fruit they made. On one of the SL’s I cut the hard wood behind the shoots and 2 weeks later it exploded with twice as many panicles. That was super impressive. Asking your primary question to me was like asking “who do you like more your son or your daughter”! Plant them both and be happy with what you happen to get each year because those 2 are gifts from heaven. And if you’ve experienced a perfect Kathy you would make it tied for #1 also. Since we have the same tastes got to keep the LZ and LM and ST right up there also. Between all 5 in Miami ST is by far the most prolific producer then LZ. If you give me till the 2022 season I’ll be able to give you an exact answer on the primary questions you asked because I’m not pruning at the end of this season and I’ve already stopped nitrogen. I put 5 very short videos on YouTube yesterday and I got an image of one of my PP’s on 1 frame and I said look how perfectly clean the PP is but as you’ll see all my fruit are clean.
https://youtu.be/kvx_TvuxOh0

Honest Abe

• Biscayne Park, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2021, 04:13:58 PM »
JACKPOT. Thanks Weiss! Great info, very exciting! I have some Kathy almost ripe in my garage as well as some LZ AND ST. I love PPK. Gotta top work a couple trees ASAP! Thanks

weiss613

• Miami
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2021, 05:26:19 PM »
Make sure the LZ ST and PPK and Kathy’s are mostly yellow before you cut in to eat.

weiss613

• Miami
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2021, 06:02:58 PM »
How timely is this!
https://youtu.be/4pAt5fw1rPs