Author Topic: Mango flavor . . .  (Read 1799 times)

Epicatt2

• Fruit forest in progress . . .
    • Tampa, FL / Zone 9b
    • View Profile
Mango flavor . . .
« on: June 16, 2021, 02:04:09 AM »
Is there such a thing as a basic, decent mango 'mango flavor' that is mango alone?  Maybe that could be better termed as a true, simple mango flavor.

I see all sorts of descriptive variations on the flavors of mangoes, including cultivar names which suggest a particular flavor variation: Lemon Zest, Orange Sherbet, Cotton Candy, et al.

Also I am reading on here that fertilizing (or not) and the weather can alter the flavor of some cultivars fron year to year.

So anyway, if there is a true simple basic mango flavor then which cultivars best represent that basic mango flavor?

I ask because I have not found this as the dedicated topic of discussion in any thread here.

Curious minds and all that . . . .

Paul M.
==

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Mango flavor . . .
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2021, 05:49:36 AM »
Is there such a thing as a basic, decent mango 'mango flavor' that is mango alone?  Maybe that could be better termed as a true, simple mango flavor.

I see all sorts of descriptive variations on the flavors of mangoes, including cultivar names which suggest a particular flavor variation: Lemon Zest, Orange Sherbet, Cotton Candy, et al.

Also I am reading on here that fertilizing (or not) and the weather can alter the flavor of some cultivars fron year to year.

So anyway, if there is a true simple basic mango flavor then which cultivars best represent that basic mango flavor?

I ask because I have not found this as the dedicated topic of discussion in any thread here.

Paul M.
==

This may be a good place to start the conversation
I would say these are similar to the original ones the British brought from India
https://sweetstlucia.com/2016/06/29/st-lucias-mangoes-are-sweet-luscious-and-juicy/

https://jamaicans.com/jamaicanmangonames/
« Last Edit: June 16, 2021, 06:42:47 AM by bovine421 »
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

Jaboticaba45

• Check out TN Tropical Fruits!
  • Tropical Fruit Tree Connoisseur
    • Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2021, 09:45:33 AM »

Paul M.
==
I would say that kent would be basic mango flavor. Nothing exciting, just pure mango. Someone told me that glenn is also a classic mango flavor although I have never tried it. 
« Last Edit: June 16, 2021, 09:47:10 AM by Jaboticaba45 »

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2021, 11:34:33 AM »

Paul M.
==
I would say that kent would be basic mango flavor. Nothing exciting, just pure mango. Someone told me that glenn is also a classic mango flavor although I have never tried it.
Basic commercial flavor
What are the concerns of the commercial grower product and shipping the flavor comes last. As my wife would say it is just there. For the most part most all of Gary Zills mangoes are seedling of Julie pollinated by Gary and others. What Indian mango did Julie descend from? Mangoes have been around for 3000 years. So are we talkin classic old world mango classic commercial mango classic backyard mango  I don't know it's a subject for debate.
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2021, 12:31:59 PM »
There are numerous varieties with basic mango flavor:

Edward, Keitt, Harvest Moon, Zill, Glenn, Haden, Cogshall, Beverly, Van Dyke, Southern Blush, Rosigold

The above is just a sampling.
- Rob

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2021, 01:16:03 PM »
I was thinking the same but then I started wondering...
If you grow up with Nam Doc Mai, does that become the standard mango flavor for you?

Just as us living in the US have Haden as the standard classic flavor.

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2021, 01:24:55 PM »
If you grow up with Nam Doc Mai, does that become the standard mango flavor for you?

I can only surmise that someone from India would say Alphonso mango is classic. Someone from the Philippines I don't know.A West Indian would probably say Julie Graham Bombay is classic. Rob said one time that the Spirit of 76 is classic acid or classic? But I do think you said it was good. I know the probability of Rob having an Angie Carrie or coconut cream are slim to none but I wonder if any of the classic ones he listed he has in his Grove? :)

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2021, 01:33:33 PM »
For me Haden is the "classic" mango flavor, especially for Florida mangoes. But it was also the first mango I tried.

My wife, who is Cuban-American, is used to mangoes in this class, and prefers them. Her abuela (grandmother) has a couple of seedling trees with fantastic classic flavored mangoes, smaller than Hadens and with a little fiber. She likes LZ and OS, but prefers classic mango flavors. She lets me eat most of the Sweet Tarts. lol, can't believe it. Says they are too sour and "don't taste like real mangoes!"

Wondering what the most flavorful classic mango with low to no fiber might be?

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2021, 01:54:30 PM »
For me Haden is the "classic" mango flavor, especially for Florida mangoes. But it was also the first mango I tried.

My wife, who is Cuban-American, is used to mangoes in this class, and prefers them. Her abuela (grandmother) has a couple of seedling trees with fantastic classic flavored mangoes, smaller than Hadens and with a little fiber. She likes LZ and OS, but prefers classic mango flavors. She lets me eat most of the Sweet Tarts. lol, can't believe it. Says they are too sour and "don't taste like real mangoes!"

Wondering what the most flavorful classic mango with low to no fiber might be?

I agree on Haden being the classic flavor but i know that my SoFlo bias
I have been looking for the richest "classic" flavor but it doesn't look like there is much to pick from for this flavor profile in Gary Zill's breeding program.

So far only a few Bailey Marvels come close to Mulgoba.
I want the equivalent of PPk to LZ but for a good Glenn. lol

Epicatt2

• Tampa, FL / Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2021, 02:32:30 PM »
Thanx for all the interesting replies.  They all definitely offer me some food fruit for thought!

I remember having Haydens in Naples, FL back in the '60s at some family friends' house that we visited with in the summertime.  A bit fibrous but nicely flavored small fruits off their two dooryard trees.  (I don't think they ever did anything special to them culture-wise.)

In the late '70s I visited Belize and saw mangoes for sale that were three-quarter the size of footballs(!) that two ladies in a park in Belize City were selling for $1Belizan = 50¢US per each one.  When I remarked on the large size they said those were small cuz it was the end of season.  I suspect these were from old seedling trees.  (BTW, they were definitely not papayas.)

In 2007 I stayed in a B&B in Alajuela, Costa Rica for four months Mar thru July and with our breakfast each morning was a bit of whatever local tropical fruit that was in season.  When the mangoes started showing up on our plates they were wonderfully flavored with little fiber. 

As the weeks went by the flavor of the mangoes at breakfast continued to improve and intensify, the flavor becoming more mango-y and there was less fiber.  These mangoes all had that classic mango flavor mentioned earlier in this thread –essentially very much the same as the Haydens that I described above in Naples.

I suspect that many of the mangoes at the B&B in Alajuela came from old seedling trees.  Alajuela is full of scads of big old mango trees at homes and even in the public parks there.

That's just some some further perspective on my search for a mango-flavored mango.  Fortunately one of the three mango culitvars I'm growing is 'Beverly'.  (The other two are 'Ice Cream' and 'Irwin'.)

Thanx again All . . .

Cheers!

Paul M.
==
« Last Edit: June 16, 2021, 06:27:48 PM by Epicatt2 »

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2021, 04:06:51 PM »
My only experience with the classic is Edwards.I get that for my mother-in-law she likes that one. I think you should consider Dwarf Hawaiian and Neelam to add to your collection.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2021, 04:22:44 PM »

I can only surmise that someone from India would say Alphonso mango is classic. Someone from the Philippines I don't know.A West Indian would probably say Julie Graham Bombay is classic. Rob said one time that the Spirit of 76 is classic acid or classic? But I do think you said it was good. I know the probability of Rob having an Angie Carrie or coconut cream are slim to none but I wonder if any of the classic ones he listed he has in his Grove? :)

There are classics that have a distinct "subprofile" such as "acid" or "citrus."

I have Spirit of 76 planted.
- Rob

Jose Spain

• Marbella, Spain. Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2021, 04:49:02 PM »

I can only surmise that someone from India would say Alphonso mango is classic. Someone from the Philippines I don't know.

Probably something similar to Manila cv (it came on the ship that made the regular route between Manila and Nueva España) and its seedling Ataulfo.

Honest Abe

• Biscayne Park, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2021, 04:54:40 PM »
For me and my wife:
Hayden, Edward, All-summer, and baileys marvel are the most “classic MANGO flavor”.

Edwards i had from Alex this year we’re excellent.

Hayden’s on my tree we’re awesome this year,

all summers from ZHPP were very good this Year.

My baileys marvel tree produced
2  sub- par fruits for BM this year but the others split. Baileys is usually an excellent one but my tree is young it was its first year fruiting. It grows beautifully nice symmetrical canopy.

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2021, 08:39:05 PM »
This is the first time I'm hearing of "All-Summer."  What's the backstory?
John

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2021, 09:12:28 PM »

That's just some some further perspective on my search for a mango-flavored mango.  Fortunately one of the three mango culitvars I'm growing is 'Beverly'.  (The other two are 'Ice Cream' and 'Irwin'.)

Thanx again All . . .

Cheers!

Paul M.
==
Isn't Irwin a "classic" mango?
Have you eaten any yet?
It looks like you have two classics already
« Last Edit: June 16, 2021, 10:06:30 PM by achetadomestica »

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2021, 09:15:07 PM »

Its the rename of the Marlys.  Not a very good mango
« Last Edit: June 16, 2021, 09:17:38 PM by bsbullie »
- Rob

Epicatt2

• Tampa, FL / Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2021, 10:51:00 PM »
Isn't Irwin a "classic" mango?
Have you eaten any yet?
It looks like you have two classics already

Bought those three because they were classed as dwarf or semi-dwarf trees that could produce some fruit when kept pruned to about eight feet tall.  I have limited space but wanted a couple mangoes.

My 'Ice Cream' is holding two mangoes about 3- to 4-inches in the widest diameter right now and I hope they'll make it thru to ripen (despite Rob's recent reprimand).

The other two either didn't flower or didn't set fruit this year.  They'll each need another year's growth.

Cheers!

Paul M.
==

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2021, 11:02:18 PM »
I've never considered Kent a basic or a pure mango flavor.  For me it has other fruit flavors going on, and I don't think it appeals to mango lovers in South Asian countries or with a South Asian or even West Indian background.  And that's another thing.  What an Indian considers a basic or pure mango flavor would be much different than an American.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2021, 11:08:29 PM by johnb51 »
John

Honest Abe

• Biscayne Park, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2021, 10:32:27 PM »
I must clarify I’ve had Marlys/all summer before and it was an average mango. This year I had a very good one, and then two average ones again. It’s a classic flavor for sure, but not something I would ever plant.

Regarding Irwin, I thinks it’s a nice sweet fiberless soft classic mango with a beautiful appearance. I still wouldn’t grow one but it’s a good one for “classic.”

Epicatt2

• Tampa, FL / Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2021, 11:48:37 PM »
Regarding Irwin, I thinks it’s a nice sweet fiberless soft classic mango with a beautiful appearance. I still wouldn’t grow one but it’s a good one for “classic.”

Hola Abe,

Thanx for your assessment of 'Irwin' and its flavor.  It sounds like I will be pleased with how it tastes.

Someone earlier commented on 'Beverly' as having a classic mango flavor, so now all that's left is for someone to comment on the flavor of 'Ice Cream', which is the third of the three cultivars that I have.

Cheers!

Paul M.
==

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2021, 10:06:27 AM »
I dont think there is any such thing as a classic mango taste, My home town like many in Quensland is loaded with KP and the feral stringy tress. When I was a kid we could get as many as we wanted and there were 100s yes hundreds of trees in walking distance along the railway line, in the parks and on the street as well as in every second backyard. They were the good ones and the bad ones. You just get imprinted on how a mango should taste and everything is benchmarked against it. Today within 2 km I have around 30 to 40 KP trees I can visit and pluck on public land and everyone does. From vantage points near my house I see all the KP trees in yards all hanging over into public land and into neighbours places. I just compare everything to the classic bowen taste and it is what everyone has always said is the best.
I think its whatever you grow up eating is what you see as the classic mango taste.

BeckettB

• Phoenix, AZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2021, 04:07:51 PM »

Its the rename of the Marlys.  Not a very good mango

Well dang, that's not what I was hoping to hear hah!  I planted a Marlys mango tree around three years ago, almost lost it to frost a couple years ago, and finally this year have some fruit.  I'm in Phoenix, AZ so even if it's not the best tasting variety, my wife and I are still very excited to eat some ripe mangoes straight from our backyard :D

Honest Abe

• Biscayne Park, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2021, 06:51:18 PM »
I never said it was bad! It’s still a decent mango I think. Not anything amazing but decent! It’s certainly not what I call a bad mango.