Author Topic: Beware scammer - TERRANOVA  (Read 1666 times)

shmojojojo

• Southern California, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Beware scammer - TERRANOVA
« on: July 02, 2021, 08:37:54 PM »
I really hate that I have to do this. I don't like harming people or taking food out of people's mouths. Unfortunately, after so many warnings, the seller has given me no choice.

I placed an order with username "Terranova" for 50 Eugenia patrisii seeds for $130 with shipping. Unfortunately, I received a package of only 20 seeds. I messaged them, they told me it was a mistake and they will try to find another buyer in my state and send my order with theirs. That buyer would then forward the seeds to me. Seemed like an awful idea, but I told them okay and please keep me informed. A month goes by, I hear nothing. I messaged them again explaining that I wanted the rest of my order or refund my money, please. We ended up messaging back and forth about 10 times. I was always very polite. Of course, they never initiated contact with me, and they never would have if I didn't message them. They didn't want to take any responsibility for their mistake. They just wanted me to go away. It was 4 months of ridiculous excuses as to why they couldn't pay me. Now my last warning message, that I was going to make this post, was ignored. So here we are. I think some people think American's have money to throw around and that couldn't be further from the truth, especially for me right now. I'm out of work with a long-term leg injury and I'm trying to make some money on the side doing something I love. I hope the seller hasn't disappeared and does the right thing so I can remove this post.

I wish I had said something sooner, I hope they didn't take anyone else's money. Next time I'm not waiting to report a scam seller. Of course, they're just going to make a new account and continue to "sell" their seeds. I would recommend being aware of what he/she is selling and the area it's coming from in order to try to avoid them. Oh and only 2 of the 20 germinated under ideal grow conditions.

palologrower

• Honolulu, HI, US, Zone 12B
    • View Profile
Re: Beware scammer - TERRANOVA
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2021, 08:44:32 PM »
Hate to break it to you but I saw some discussion on fb about these seeds may not even be patrissii

shmojojojo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2021, 09:10:31 PM »
Hey palologrower! You remind me I should mention there are great sellers like you, Marcos, Frank, Mike, Shiloh, Josh and others on here too :)

That doesn't surprise me about the patrisii. Even in the photos they posted (after I purchased of course :-\ ) the meat of the fruit was yellow, when I believe patrisii is red throughout. I was bummed to see that, since that might be the coolest thing about this fruit. I just figured it was a different variety. Seeds seemed legit. They pretty much matched up with what I saw online. Maybe a little smaller.

Did those buyers get the correct amount of seeds? Do they have any seedling pics?
« Last Edit: July 02, 2021, 10:25:02 PM by shmojojojo »

dsweet43

• Port Richey, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2021, 09:45:45 PM »
I received my seeds however I have heard some people say they had a bad experience & the process of paying was unusual for me as well(had to send 3 payments to separate accounts, which seemed sketch.)

I did receive the correct amount of seeds & they looked identical to other Eugenia Patrissi seeds that I had bought from elsewhere in the past(died during transit).

My seeds are sprouting now, look like a good germination rate(maybe 70%)

I think some of these sellers from super poor countries are just strapped for cash, spend it right away or something and can't afford to send a second package without an additional order. This has also happened to me from another seller, also from a super poor country.

Hope it works out for you dude, happy to share some of mine with you once they grow out a bit, maybe in 3 months pm me?

shmojojojo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2021, 10:24:05 PM »
Thanks dsweet43! I'm glad you had a successful purchase from them. Good to know others aren't getting ripped off and it was most likely just a mistake on their part. I always assumed it was. My order process wasn't too bad (paypal-seeds/zelle-shipping), but their instructions were lacking a bit. And yeah, I agree about the financial situation in some countries. I know that money can go a long way in helping a family. I just hope that's where it goes...

I just checked my seedlings, and after a couple of months of being a long sliver, they just put out their first leaves. It actually does look like patrisii. I'll post some pics later.

EDIT: Pics. Does anyone know if this is E. patrisii?

Seeds

« Last Edit: July 03, 2021, 01:10:45 AM by shmojojojo »

BayAreaMicroClimate

• Dublin, California 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2021, 11:37:22 PM »
I ordered a seed from tradewinds. I received it sprouted but I couldn’t tell if it was root or trunk. I just lightly covered the entire thing in soil and I’m still waiting for it to pop up.

ManVFruit

• San Diego, California
    • View Profile
    • MANvFRUIT
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2021, 11:41:28 PM »
Thanks dsweet43! I'm glad you had a successful purchase from them. Good to know others aren't getting ripped off and it was most likely just a mistake on their part. I always assumed it was. My order process wasn't too bad (paypal-seeds/zelle-shipping), but their instructions were lacking a bit. And yeah, I agree about the financial situation in some countries. I know that money can go a long way in helping a family. I just hope that's where it goes...

I just checked my seedlings, and after a couple of months of being a long sliver, they just put out their first leaves. It actually does look like patrisii. I'll post some pics later.

EDIT: Pics. Does anyone know if this is E. patrisii?

Nope they are not, I purchased from this seller few years back and my tree is about 12 inches , the leaves look nothing like Patrissii, I have renamed mine to Eugenia Sp. Venezuela. Here is what patrissii should look like :

ManVFruit

• San Diego, California
    • View Profile
    • MANvFRUIT
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2021, 11:48:22 PM »
I ordered a seed from tradewinds. I received it sprouted but I couldn’t tell if it was root or trunk. I just lightly covered the entire thing in soil and I’m still waiting for it to pop up.

I had discussion with them about this, sorry to inform you they have sourced their seeds from the same seller OP talks about but via a seller in FL.

They sounded aware when I brought this to their attention but continued to sell it as Patrissii. When I traced it to the same seller I requested cancellation and they cancelled my order.

There is no proof it's even a variation of Patrissii I would encourage everyone who purchased them to call it Eugenia SP. and not sell them on as Patrisii.

palologrower

• Honolulu, HI, US, Zone 12B
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2021, 12:16:12 AM »
Hey palologrower! You remind me I should mention there are great sellers like you, Marcos, Frank, Mike, Shiloh, Josh and others on here too :)

Thanks!

shmojojojo

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2021, 12:50:56 AM »
There is no proof it's even a variation of Patrissii I would encourage everyone who purchased them to call it Eugenia SP. and not sell them on as Patrisii.

Agreed, but since I only have two, I don't have any to sell  ;D ... :'(

Looks like an online store selling the same yellow fleshed fruit, most likely from the same source, is calling it Eugenia aff. patrisii. Somebody must know what this is.

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2021, 01:48:36 AM »
As great as this fruit looks, and rare as though it may be, one of the Brazillian heavies said it was sour and piss poor flavor wise, also very hard if not nearly impossible to grow in California (from personal experience).
Sorry you got shorted and not squared away, happens with reputable seller’s from time to time as well unfortunately.

shmojojojo

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2021, 02:01:18 AM »
As great as this fruit looks, and rare as though it may be, one of the Brazillian heavies said it was sour and piss poor flavor wise, also very hard if not nearly impossible to grow in California (from personal experience).
Sorry you got shorted and not squared away, happens with reputable seller’s from time to time as well unfortunately.

Maybe the fact that this probably isn't patrisii is a blessing in disguise :) This yellow fleshed version looks bumpy and a lot uglier, so maybe it will taste better lol. If that's even what this is.

In this actual patrisii video, you'll see that they're juicy, round and plump. Oh and the fruit looks nice too ;D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Nb_DxmMDtc
« Last Edit: July 03, 2021, 02:05:09 AM by shmojojojo »

Bob-Gardener

• Germany,7
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2021, 07:50:56 AM »
I have 2 E. patrisii seedlings and they do not look like the photo above.

ManVFruit

• San Diego, California
    • View Profile
    • MANvFRUIT
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2021, 01:27:53 PM »
Here is my 1.5 to 2 years old seedling from same seller ..