Author Topic: Citrus Mango Showdown  (Read 1723 times)

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
Citrus Mango Showdown
« on: July 10, 2021, 11:23:54 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-X7ttq1nugY&t=913s

Mango and Meditation Master Satya makes a great video, featuring an awesome manatee, who steals the show!  PPK vs. LZ vs. OS vs. Mallika.  Still not the ultimate showdown, which might also include Orange Essence, Peach Cobbler, and Seacrest?
« Last Edit: July 10, 2021, 04:07:20 PM by johnb51 »
John

Honest Abe

• Biscayne Park, FL
    • View Profile
Re: Citrus Mango Showdown
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2021, 09:17:50 PM »
Interesting, Satya always teaches me something new. I always ate Mallika underripe from what I see there. Tastes like a strawberry-mango to me.
Unique as they come, to my pallet. Now I know I gotta let em go longer for citrus. Good news is I like em already so can’t wait for a riper one.

Satya

• North Miami Beach, FL , Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • Growing rare tropicals and fruit trees.
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2021, 11:51:45 PM »
Thanks John for sharing. I am no meditation Master, just a traveller on the path of meditation, or rather a fellow pilgrim in the inner journey of consciousness. Mango tastings have been a lot of fun, the difference this year is the number of visitors we had, all unknown to us before, from west, north of Florida, and even from California and Washington state so the mango family is growing :) .
This LZ, LM, OS tasting was initially planned to be done with you  and Abie and skhan , this was the one you were trying to arrange John, would have been a lot of fun that day if not for our schedules.

Anyways thanks. I have been through a lot of mango criticisms, many likers and some haters, but its all part of the game :), like the critic in the movie Ratatouille says, it takes a lot of time and courage to put one's face and make something creative up there for everyone to enjoy and takes a few seconds to sit behind a computer and criticize someone's work to put them down in the hopes to put oneself higher.

Johnny Eat Fruit

• So. California, Huntington Beach. Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2021, 08:14:34 AM »
I enjoy your mango tasting videos Satya. Keep up the good work.

Thanks

Johnny

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2021, 08:15:55 AM »
I too was interested in your discussion of picking and ripening Mallika mango. Hopefully there will be more discussion and videos about Picking and ripening the different varieties. Especially in the interior. Tasting mangoes is subjective even Gary said if you taste a mango from this tree today and come back and try another one tomorrow it will be different  It's a snapshot in time and can differ by location. Some of the mangoes that were tremendous last season I've been a little disappointing for me this season. Could just be a matter of timing of picking and ripening. It could very well be that some varieties have a fluctuation in taste from year to year. It does make for interesting discussion. So far Dot and Carrie are my favorite girls. But I have to say Karen Michelle is a sweety❤
« Last Edit: July 12, 2021, 08:17:34 AM by bovine421 »
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

Satya

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2021, 09:01:58 AM »
Yes Karen Michelle was a surprise. I tried few last year, and although the aroma was great the taste was watered down, so i sold my only Karen Michelle, a potted 15g... i regretted it this year and got a scion from Alex :) , gladly it has taken and i understood how we can be wrong about a certain variety. And now growing certain "bottom tier" mangoes in my garden, the taste has been superior to same varieties i have eaten from farms around, so more headache to the equation of "judging" a certain mango variety, which only leads me, after lots and lots of tastings, to think of Socrates' words that the only thing i know is i know nothing.

I had a memory of tasting a Mallika that made me close my eyes and see sparkling stars with bursts of different flavors playing and melting in my mouth, so i kept the tree and it has been productive. I have made a 3-4 weeks' timeline video of Mallika maturing on tree, then ripening and finally tasting. I am not releasing the video yet because the research is not complete yet, there is one last method left and i can not conclude the results of my findings yet. My hypothesis was that there is a way to make Mallika ripen to its peak flavor by following certain steps. And i tried 3 different approaches. The first 2 had 50/50 results, the last approach is 80% success so far but i want to see if all from this technique come out without the funky smell/taste.

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2021, 09:46:31 AM »
I would have to say that tasting mangos is like tasting fine wine.  We should be probably using a 100-pt. scale.  Different vintage, different rating.  Consequently there is no GOAT.  I'm so sorry that the tasting with the group didn't work out, but fortunately I managed to score an OS mango yesterday along with the Peach Cobbler that was out of this world.  Eating a lot of PPK has been a treat this year.  Very little acid and high brix.  They're like candy.

I only call you "Master" out of admiration.  With your education you could be pursuing $$$, but you have other values instead, and you understand about bringing people together.  Humanity is at a precarious point in the development (degradation) of our planet, and unless we come together soon we're not going to work things out for our survival.  Anyway, that's how I see it.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2021, 10:42:17 AM by johnb51 »
John

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2021, 09:55:17 AM »
With Malika is almost like the mango gods are playing. Totally different signs and clues last year then this year . Last year mine tasted like melon cantaloupe. The first one I had this year was definitely citrus. The last one we had my wife's swear it tasted like papaya. The next one may be a stinker  The Mango Gods Must Be Rolling In The Clouds laughing. ;D

« Last Edit: July 12, 2021, 09:58:13 AM by bovine421 »
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2021, 10:01:51 AM »
Alex doesn't give huge props to Mallika on his website, saying it's highly prone to MBBS.  What are others experiencing?
John

Satya

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2021, 11:35:13 AM »
Ours is completely uncared for and is the cleanest of all the trees around it. Not only fruit but even the leaves are clean.

JR561

• Boynton Beach, Florida 33437 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2021, 11:49:35 AM »
Ours is completely uncared for and is the cleanest of all the trees around it. Not only fruit but even the leaves are clean.

This is great to know.

Thanks for the videos Satya. They are so helpful.

Honest Abe

• Biscayne Park, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2021, 01:09:29 PM »
Satya, your videos and interesting, informative captivating and visually pleasing. The last one filmed with the river(I shall leave it unnamed to protect location) was very peaceful and therapeutic for me watching you sample the mangos. I also like how you always teach people how different locations produce different results for the same mangos. Keep up the great work!

Abie

Tommyng

• Acreage florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2021, 01:20:36 PM »
Alex doesn't give huge props to Mallika on his website, saying it's highly prone to MBBS.  What are others experiencing?

One of the healthiest tree here.
Don’t rush, take time and enjoy life and food.

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2021, 03:04:33 PM »
Sob!!! a Halestorm is pounding my mini Grove. I should have never mentioned the mango Gods. They're having a married good time at my expense. Anyone else getting hammered

Wife called and said the hail is about the size of a quarter
Alex I'd like to supersize my order for tomorrow.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2021, 03:14:20 PM by bovine421 »

Jabba The Hutt

• Appleton, New York, 6b/Pine Island, Bokeelia, Florida 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2021, 03:40:50 PM »
I too was interested in your discussion of picking and ripening Mallika mango. Hopefully there will be more discussion and videos about Picking and ripening the different varieties. Especially in the interior. Tasting mangoes is subjective even Gary said if you taste a mango from this tree today and come back and try another one tomorrow it will be different  It's a snapshot in time and can differ by location. Some of the mangoes that were tremendous last season I've been a little disappointing for me this season. Could just be a matter of timing of picking and ripening. It could very well be that some varieties have a fluctuation in taste from year to year. It does make for interesting discussion. So far Dot and Carrie are my favorite girls. But I have to say Karen Michelle is a sweety❤

Bovine, no love for Ugly Betty?!?! :'(

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2021, 06:09:26 PM »

Bovine, no love for Ugly Betty?!?! :'(
I've had the privilege of meeting her yet. Is she big?
 Or just ugly? Or is she big and ugly ???

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2021, 11:38:07 AM »
Yes Karen Michelle was a surprise. I tried few last year, and although the aroma was great the taste was watered down, so i sold my only Karen Michelle, a potted 15g... i regretted it this year and got a scion from Alex :) , gladly it has taken and i understood how we can be wrong about a certain variety. And now growing certain "bottom tier" mangoes in my garden, the taste has been superior to same varieties i have eaten from farms around, so more headache to the equation of "judging" a certain mango variety, which only leads me, after lots and lots of tastings, to think of Socrates' words that the only thing i know is i know nothing.

I had a memory of tasting a Mallika that made me close my eyes and see sparkling stars with bursts of different flavors playing and melting in my mouth, so i kept the tree and it has been productive. I have made a 3-4 weeks' timeline video of Mallika maturing on tree, then ripening and finally tasting. I am not releasing the video yet because the research is not complete yet, there is one last method left and i can not conclude the results of my findings yet. My hypothesis was that there is a way to make Mallika ripen to its peak flavor by following certain steps. And i tried 3 different approaches. The first 2 had 50/50 results, the last approach is 80% success so far but i want to see if all from this technique come out without the funky smell/taste.
I am anxiously awaiting the release of the video on the ripening of Malika.
So far we've had good luck after five days finny. I have one now it is at 7 and another one I will await for 10 days finny. The majority of ours are not ready yet because of the long dormancy this season in Central Florida. My wife really likes Malika she likes the size of the fruit and the way it ripens :)
« Last Edit: July 17, 2021, 11:42:37 AM by bovine421 »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk