Author Topic: Red ilamas from Guatemala  (Read 2541 times)

Raulglezruiz

• Puerto Vallarta,Mexico. Lat 21.5 Semi Tropical
    • View Profile
Red ilamas from Guatemala
« on: August 08, 2021, 01:42:46 PM »
Hi everyone been a long time out of social media basically because I started to feel couple months ago very tired, really tired, depressed and apathetic to do anything other than stay in bed or watching TV as any minimal effort seemed like a big challenge didn't test positive for COVID but I suspect I had ir without knowing it before and these symptoms could be the reason for it, I even let go the hundreds of Talisia seeds I advertised go to waste, in the Luc's Garcinia case as I said before this was an odd year as I only found one single fruit in the whole jungle this year, really don't know the reason I want to think weather changing I'll expect a bumper crop next season.
  Since I started to feel a bit better I decided it was time to do a fruit hunting for the best premium ilamas, have been before in Guerrero looking for them now I looked south towards Chiapas and Guatemala, I was able to find in Chiapas some with and light pink common ones that I tried and had good flavor, then I went to Pajapita, Reu, and Coatepec Guatemala, was in this last place were I found a source for some very special ilamas, most of them have good size being the smaller over a pound, large ones close to a kilo and sometimes giant ones around 2 kilos, they had nice pink colors all the way to the most striking reds I have never seen in ilama, the flavors were excellent in most cases,pink ones very sweet with an amazing ending acidity that created a very pleasant sharp flavor,  Red ones very sweet with a slightly acid at the end, they tasted like a red candy caramel lollipop 🍭, however they have an ample spectrum of flavors I can't describe, very complex flavors that make me think I prefer them over a Chirimoya any day, I know some of you would be skeptical about this but while Cherimoya has an amazing taste at the same time is more defined, not as complex as a good ilama, another interesting fact about Coatepec ilamas is that they are very juicy, the ilama I have tasted before were like cottony flesh but on the semi dry side lacking a nice juicy flesh, this Coatepec ones are very juicy and the juice is syrup delicious, you can look at my pics and clearly see the crystal juices go and compare with other ilama pics on the web and you'll notice that lack of juice. It was a nice trip were I could see Mangosteen Achachairu and Rambutan are not exotic fruits anymore for South of Mexico and Guatemala as can be found in any streets market with affordable prices for anyone who wants to buy them. These are some pictures of the ilamas

« Last Edit: August 08, 2021, 09:20:59 PM by Raulglezruiz »
El verde es vida!

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
Re: Red ilamas from Guatemala
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2021, 04:00:47 PM »
Heya Raul, plenty of pix in the illama portfolia I see. There are some real similarities to my Guillermo and Red Genova I see including that purple skin tone. Guillermo has a pinkish blue skin tone in some of my past fruit also.

cmichael258

• St. Pete, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2021, 05:48:31 PM »
Wow Raul! They look delicious. Glad you're feeling better.
Michael

Raulglezruiz

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2021, 09:18:00 PM »
Heya Raul, plenty of pix in the illama portfolia I see. There are some real similarities to my Guillermo and Red Genova I see including that purple skin tone. Guillermo has a pinkish blue skin tone in some of my past fruit also.
Hi Mike nice to hear from a legend like you amigo 😀yes they are from the same area I think Genova Pajapita and Coatepec are around 40 minutes from each other!
El verde es vida!

Raulglezruiz

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2021, 09:19:42 PM »
Wow Raul! They look delicious. Glad you're feeling better.
thanks dear Michael great to hear from you 😀
El verde es vida!

TomekK

• In search of Theobromas
    • Vienna, Virginia Zone 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2021, 09:53:21 PM »
Nice to hear you’re feeling better, and wow, what a nice group of ilamas! Hope you have gotten some seeds from them. Interesting to hear how the southeast Asian fruits are becoming more common south of Mexico. Are you finding any durians?

OCchris1

• Old Towne Orange, CA 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2021, 01:20:50 AM »
You're a legend Raul! Glad to have you back amigo  :)
-Chris

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2021, 02:17:09 PM »
I love that area!  Went there five times, in the 1980's and early 1990's.

That is where I got the Genova (Red, and White) varieties, Guillermo, and Pajapita, and several others.

Congatulations on your finds!  Both the pink giant and those two smooth-skinned ones are very different from ones I found then.
Har

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk