Author Topic: Cold Hardy Bananas?  (Read 488 times)

Polypterus

• Smyrna Georgia, 8a
    • View Profile
Cold Hardy Bananas?
« on: August 13, 2021, 12:29:17 PM »
I read that there are some bananas that are good down to zone 7-8, but wasn't able to find info on whether there are edible varieties that can grow in those zones. Are there any varieties that would do well in 7b/8a year round, or some that I could stretch to 7b/8a if I planted them against the house for extra heat during the winter? Any that work well in containers and are fairly cold tolerant?

W.

• United States, Alabama, 7b
    • View Profile
Re: Cold Hardy Bananas?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2021, 06:48:38 PM »
There are edible bananas for zones 7 and 8. But, as far as I am aware, there are no seedless cold-hardy bananas available. Seeded bananas are technically edible, but the presence of seeds reduces their actual edibility, since banana seeds are like jagged, little, teeth-breaking rocks. You can make smoothies or other things out of them, though.

Jaboticaba45

• Check out TN Tropical Fruits!
  • Tropical Fruit Tree Connoisseur
    • Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2021, 07:13:06 PM »
I got some cold hardy bananas growing as landscape and they do great. The fruits are seedless, but not edible.

swincher

• Western WA (zone 8b, zone 10a greenhouse)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2021, 08:51:05 PM »
I'm trialing a few seeded "edible" bananas here in 8b Seattle, but I doubt many bananas other than M. basjoo could handle much colder than this.

What many people do for dessert bananas in cold climates is dig up the bananas and put them somewhere protected for the winter (a crawl space under the house, for example), and then pull them out in the spring and plant them back in the ground. I've never tried that myself, but I gather it can be pretty effective. Assuming you start with good sized pups the first spring and have a long enough growing season, they should fruit the second year, or third at worst.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2021, 08:53:58 PM by swincher »