Author Topic: Xie Shan- fruit photos  (Read 4845 times)

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
Re: Xie Shan- fruit photos
« Reply #100 on: January 04, 2022, 02:41:52 PM »
I picked two Valentine Pummelos yesterday.  They were almost fully yellow skinned, however the pulp was lightly red and still grainy   I am going to wait unil February as SC400 wrote above.   

Nick C

• New Jersey Zone 7A
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 07, 2022, 09:12:09 PM »
Got a couple single digit nights coming up in the next few days. Have my tree wrapped a few times next to water barrels in my hoop house. Should be a good test of hardiness.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: January 07, 2022, 09:23:41 PM »
I picked the last of my Xie Shan fruits (2) and they were both over ripe so I couldn't eat them really. I guess in my location they will not hold onto the tree until Feb. The remaining mandarins I have that are still not ripe are the Shiranui/sumo, Gold Nugget, Shasta Gold, Honey Murcott, Murcott (FL) & Tango.

poncirsguy

• Cincinnati, Ohio, USA, 6a/6b
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: January 07, 2022, 11:03:07 PM »
10F this morning. 12F tonight and mine are under 4 layers of glass with an 72 watt heater.

Mine is however a kumquat.

EricSC

• san diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: January 07, 2022, 11:58:06 PM »
 I still have:

1, Sumo, mostly yellow but solid hard
2, Clementine, pretty much full orange color but still have some sourness
3, Gold nugget, mostly still green with a hint of orange color.
4, Navel orange, full orange color but solid hard
5, Satsuma, still some left.   Not baggy yet.

Nick C

• New Jersey Zone 7A
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: January 13, 2022, 04:27:09 PM »
Tree made it thru some nights as low as 12F and over 24 hrs in the 20s

EricSC

• san diego
    • View Profile
Re: Xie Shan- fruit photos - Sumo taste
« Reply #106 on: January 17, 2022, 02:01:44 PM »
Update for Sumo fruits take from the graft made in 2020 spring.

I took one of the five Sumo fruits on a graft made in 2020 spring on a mature gold nugget tree.  It is complete colored with a slightly soft rind, but the fruit is still solid.

The taste is pertty sweet, with some sourness, but very rich flavor.   We all agree it is the best among all the varienties.   We will wait for a month to update again to see wehther it can get sweeter. 

It didnt have any seeds, with no little neck either.  The inside is solid, tender and juicy.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: January 17, 2022, 02:47:53 PM »
Eric,

I think the Xie Shan is sweeter than the sumo. I have been growing my grafted sumo since 2017 and have many trees with it grafted. So far I don't have any fruits on my trees that is as sweet as the Xie Shan. The fruits of Xie Shan is much smaller but it is very sweet for a satsuma.

My favorite so far is my Ponkan. It may not be as sweet as a fully ripe Xie Shan but the Ponkan fruit is still sweeter than any of my sumo fruits. Of course my Ponkan tree is a large grafted tree and I had it for over 15 years so it is very mature and probably at its best taste. I have been eating ripe Ponkan since November and just picking the last ripe fruits now.

EricSC

• san diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: January 17, 2022, 11:18:58 PM »
sc4001992,

Great to hear.   I had both Xie Shan and Ponkan grafted in 2021 so hopefully will be ready to fruit in 2023.

I had a second year grafted Sumo broken below the graft union by the big wind so will have to re-graft it.  Good I have another Sumo grafted tree so hope it will be ready in 2023.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk