Author Topic: Show off your greenhouses  (Read 4027 times)

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
Re: Show off your greenhouses
« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2021, 03:53:09 PM »
Such cool greenhouses.   Way to go fellas!  Am on my third one.  Did orchids for a while 30 years ago.

I wanted easy passage for pollinators so I have huge vents in the wall and roof.   I keep trees trimmed back to 10-12'.  Permanent installation, raised RootBuilder bottomless beds, trees root into native red clay loam. 30'X36'X18'H.

https://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=7511.msg96609#msg96609 

Standing here with a friend of Brad's from the San Diego area who visited this area and camped with his friends at the infamous Enchanted Rock State Park near my farm.  I'm the good looking one on your left.  ;D

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2021, 04:14:01 PM »
Although slightly unrelated, this seems like a good thread to ask this question: Has anyone here had luck with a passively heated greenhouse? I'm toying with the idea of building a greenhouse, but the thought of an electric greenhouse heater makes me shy away from the idea, just due to the cost of using one.

I like to regulate my heating and cooling.  Propane is efficient and cheap for us in Texas. 

Heating is from a  110K BTU  hanging fan driven propane heater, and that is a lot of cubic ft. to heat!  Cooling is from a high speed fan fogger AquaFog, hanging 11' up fed by 2 rainwater tanks for cooling and an ass kicking pump with an attached bladder pressure tank and pressure switch.  12 gals.minute used by the fogger.  Great solution which gives me a LOT of utility - spot free car shampoo rinses on the Bimmers via a watering hose hanging out the wall vent, watering my faves, blasting mites off citrus, etc.  I can easily go thru 200 gals. of rainwater in one session.  Also have well water in the house.

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2021, 09:18:08 PM »
  A tank can last for two or three nights if you are careful
Is that for a 1lb or 20lb propane tank? If I can get a 20lb tank to last 40-60 days, I might look into that.

20lb.  A 1lb would last an hour or so.

Ragnars Dog House

• Canada, British Columbia, Victoria, 8b
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2021, 07:18:37 PM »
Here is mine.  6'x8'.  Lime tree in the far left corner, Lila Avocado in the middle, Washington Naval in the far right, scraggily bacon avocado on the right.  Setting up the christmas lights and remay for any temps that dip below 40F. 

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2021, 11:28:08 PM »
Such cool greenhouses.   Way to go fellas!  Am on my third one.  Did orchids for a while 30 years ago.

I wanted easy passage for pollinators so I have huge vents in the wall and roof.   I keep trees trimmed back to 10-12'.  Permanent installation, raised RootBuilder bottomless beds, trees root into native red clay loam. 30'X36'X18'H.

https://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=7511.msg96609#msg96609 

Standing here with a friend of Brad's from the San Diego area who visited this area and camped with his friends at the infamous Enchanted Rock State Park near my farm.  I'm the good looking one on your left.  ;D

Truly GOALS! That's amazing.

Floridahempstarters

• USA, FL, Palm City
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 05, 2021, 05:16:03 PM »
I run 2 30’ X 90’ greenhouses in 9b. They allow me to push zone limits. I also built mister tables in both for propagation. I learned a lot building the 1st and made changes on the second. Eventually I will go back and update the first. I have almost enough metal left over for a third 30’ X30’ house. Maybe a spring time project?

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 13, 2021, 10:21:43 AM »
Nice rig!  Got the lights thingie going on too.

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 20, 2021, 04:26:05 AM »
Helping a friend take one down storm damage Salvage operation. Helping another to put one up.

This is my live in Greenhouse improve the lighting system since last fall.

Yes John51 that is a Picking pole I'm using for a curtain rod. Broke the other one while hanging on the curtain tying to pick up my shoe

« Last Edit: November 20, 2021, 05:10:41 AM by bovine421 »
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

Nick C

• New Jersey Zone 7A
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 21, 2021, 12:01:35 AM »
Just for overwintering so nothing is in the ground.

Nick C

• New Jersey Zone 7A
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 21, 2021, 12:03:28 AM »
Also have a poly tunnel for overwintering a bunch of potted figs with pakistan mulberry, pomegranates, pineapple guava, cold hardy citrus, chilean hazelnut, arbutus, sago palm, agave, mysore raspberry, cardoon and artichoke in the ground.

Daintree

• Boise, Idaho - zone 6, with a zone 12 greenhouse...
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 22, 2021, 11:48:44 AM »
Can't resist - I love to show off my greenhouse!
The tropical house (350 sf) was built in 2009, the addition began in 2010 and was completed (350 sf) in 2018 (we simply ran out of room to add more space!).
I have over 133 full-sized specimens representing 72 species, of which 54 are edible! Many of them bloom and fruit regularly. 63 species were grown from seed, mostly collected by me on our travels.
Everything is in pots.  The greenhouse is located under a HUGE maple tree for summer shade, and I can't even dig down two inches.  That said, many plants escape their pots and go to ground anyway...

My weather station base in the house this morning.  Brrr!

The only request from my incredibly patient husband when I built the greenhouse addition - a pub! The orangerie furnace is on the wall.

We named it "The Laughing Impala Pub" based on a picture I took in Africa a few years ago.

The "nursery" and "veggie town" in the orangerie, where I start new trees and grow veggies for the winter.

The orangerie addition, although it is technically kept at tropical temps.

My orchids in their winter location (on the right). On the left are my marula trees.

Messy potting table.

The tropical house.  The main heater is behind me on the West wall. One of my grasskeets on the feeder.  They just live loose out there.  I can't get many good pics of the tropical house because it is so crowded.

Electrical control area.  Everything runs on 3 heavy duty extension cords.  I use about 28 amps, although i have close to 40 amps available.

Water filter and descaler.  The descaler has worked great at keeping mister heads clean in the summer.

One of my two homemade foggers. Boise is DRY! You can see the screen door into the tropical house.  It allegedly keeps the birds inside the tropical house, but they follow me into the orangerie all the time.  None have flown out the front door, thankfully!

The exterior looks way better in the summer when the wisteria is all green.  My husband built the really cool porch and pergola, and his wood fired pizza oven is on the right (I think it looks like a Greek version of The Alamo...). You are all invited over for pizza!

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 22, 2021, 12:26:40 PM »
I love it! Especially love the pizza oven, I want to build a vermiculite / concrete one beside my greenhouse too, but then I also want to add an addition or enlarge mine now... So... Tough call what's more important. I currently bake all my sourdough pizzas in an Akorn by Char Griller, works great.

Kevin Jones

• Alabama - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 22, 2021, 12:40:42 PM »
I threw together a Cattle Panel Greenhouse this month to store some of my plant over-flow:

Fairly inexpensive and do-able for one person.

Kevin

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 29, 2021, 09:21:37 AM »
Can't resist - I love to show off my greenhouse!
The tropical house (350 sf) was built in 2009, the addition began in 2010 and was completed (350 sf) in 2018 (we simply ran out of room to add more space!).
I have over 133 full-sized specimens representing 72 species, of which 54 are edible! Many of them bloom and fruit regularly. 63 species were grown from seed, mostly collected by me on our travels.
Everything is in pots.  The greenhouse is located under a HUGE maple tree for summer shade, and I can't even dig down two inches.  That said, many plants escape their pots and go to ground anyway...

Blown away!  Talking about people and plant friendly....and your lovely keets must love it.  I can imagine how they feel when given to a home with the typical 4 walls.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk