Author Topic: Looking for grow lights that last  (Read 874 times)

Acoalwell

• United States, West Virginia, zone 6
    • View Profile
Looking for grow lights that last
« on: September 08, 2021, 03:57:44 PM »
Hey everyone!

I grow my plants indoors over winter and have a special dedicated room for them. I've been doing this for about three years. I've been getting my grow lights off Amazon. I have Viparspectra, King LED, and Bloomspect. Unfortunately, it seems like these only last a year or so each before they break. My two King LEDs both stopped working this past spring after 1 and 2 years running.

What are some brands that will last me 5+ years? I hate to keep buying new lights every few years, it feels really wasteful.

John B

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for grow lights that last
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2021, 11:51:50 PM »
I had Lumatek digital ballasts last over 10 years but doubt you want to use 600-1000watt HPS lights! They probably now make LED grow lights and drivers but IDK. I would trust that brand.

armstrongben82

• USA, Brooklyn, WI 5a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2021, 02:15:03 PM »
Hey everyone!

I grow my plants indoors over winter and have a special dedicated room for them. I've been doing this for about three years. I've been getting my grow lights off Amazon. I have Viparspectra, King LED, and Bloomspect. Unfortunately, it seems like these only last a year or so each before they break. My two King LEDs both stopped working this past spring after 1 and 2 years running.

What are some brands that will last me 5+ years? I hate to keep buying new lights every few years, it feels really wasteful.

I use the brand Barrina. They are LED and work great! 6 of them for $100 (4ft each) including different mounting hardware, cords, etc. Only thing I can't confirm is life time. They are going strong for at least two years lol. I had over 30 of them going over the winter and the electricity bill hardly budged.
https://www.amazon.com/Barrina-Equivalent-Spectrum-Reflector-Linkable/dp/B07QWV1THV/ref=sr_1_3?crid=1C5WBWCEQRWCM&dchild=1&keywords=barrina+grow+light&qid=1631211143&sr=8-3

Acoalwell

• United States, West Virginia, zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2021, 03:16:42 PM »
Hey everyone!

I use the brand Barrina. They are LED and work great! 6 of them for $100 (4ft each) including different mounting hardware, cords, etc. Only thing I can't confirm is life time. They are going strong for at least two years lol. I had over 30 of them going over the winter and the electricity bill hardly budged.
https://www.amazon.com/Barrina-Equivalent-Spectrum-Reflector-Linkable/dp/B07QWV1THV/ref=sr_1_3?crid=1C5WBWCEQRWCM&dchild=1&keywords=barrina+grow+light&qid=1631211143&sr=8-3

Thanks! Do you use them for tropical plants with no other supplemental lighting?

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2021, 03:41:17 PM »
I am using 240w LED quantum boards from Alibaba from Meiju lighting company. $157 delivered to the US. I've run mine for probably almost a year straight and not even one LED is burnt out.

Used to use them for tropical plants with great success but they've moved onto other tasks now. They develop very minimal heat and don't need any ventilation. They're especially nice to run in the winter because the minor ambient heat is nice in your house.

sapote

• USA, CA, Burbank, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2021, 03:57:03 PM »
Hey everyone!

The LED lights are more reliable than the driver electronic circuit which usually burned out (the controller chip inside). In this case, I would buy a generic 12v DC power supply (ebay, amazon) with 10A current, then drive the LED lights (4 of them in series) directly without the Driver.

You can buy individual LED lights at Digikey.com. I'm planning to buy and use these LED lights for landscaping lights.

How: the best way is get the 12V DC supply with adjustable output voltage, then solder 4 LEDs together in series (each LED will have 3v = 12v/4), then buy 3v (forward voltage) LEDs.
With the adjustable output supply, you can vary the output voltage to suit the LED forward voltage spec.

12v adjsutable supply, $30:https://www.ebay.com/itm/312030896351?hash=item48a67da0df:g:Gz0AAOSwz~paPpd~

LED lights: Many to choose from
https://www.digikey.com/en/products/filter/led-lighting-white/124?s=N4IgjCBcoMxgnFUBjKAzAhgGwM4FMAaEAeygG0QAmABkoDZKB2EAXSIAcAXKEAZU4BOASwB2AcxABfaUA

Since the supply has 12v max, then I would buy LED with slightly less than 3V just in case you need to adjust the light intensity. Something like this  2.75V forward voltage instead of 3V, 100 lights for $15:
https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/samsung-semiconductor-inc/SPMWHD32AMH1XAH0S0/12083611

Note: start with lower voltage then adjust up until you like the intensitive. Don't go too high voltage or it will burn out the LED lights.

« Last Edit: September 09, 2021, 04:03:35 PM by sapote »

MisterPlantee

• Ontario, Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2021, 04:53:52 PM »
I use COB leds in my greenhouse. I have an array of HollandStar COBs in the 4 and also 6 light configuration. No issues, have about 10 of them for 3 years so far. I've run them into the summer and have had no issues even then, although I wouldn't recommend that for lifespan. About 250watts of real power draw.

https://www.amazon.com/FSGTEK-HollandStar-Spectrum-Vegetables-X5-1500W-White/dp/B07TH7D3YH/ref=sr_1_50?dchild=1&keywords=cob+led&qid=1631220603&sr=8-50

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2021, 07:11:25 PM »
A meanwell brand current driver and any cobs or other led array are going to last a really long time. 

Ceramic metal hylide CMH 315W lights look nice too. 
Brad Spaugh

sapote

• USA, CA, Burbank, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2021, 08:03:49 PM »
Re to LED lights, I converted all my landscape Halogen bulbs to LED bulbs driving by the same old 110ac to 12ac timer module. They lasted about 6 months to 1 year, and the cause is that all of the built-in current drivers within the bulbs gone bad but the LED lights themselves were fine. So I just added diode rectifier bridge to convert the 12ac to 12DC, then drive the LED lights directly by select proper LED with forward voltage to add up equal to 12v DC, and no regulating driver needed.