Author Topic: Is this the edible aloe vera?  (Read 2479 times)

Plantinyum

• Bulgaria , near Sofia city , planting zone 7
    • View Profile
Is this the edible aloe vera?
« on: September 09, 2021, 06:35:17 AM »
As the question above, was wondering if this is the edible aloe that gets used in drinks and such. Leaves are thick, with alot of gell which is tasteless....thanks !

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
Re: Is this the edible aloe vera?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2021, 08:48:50 AM »
It looks similar to an aloe plant I have, it has skinny leaves and it stays pretty small so it is easy to maintain. I have the other normal size aloe plant also which gets huge, maybe 3-4 ft tall and 4 ft wide with larger leaves. I like the smaller type better since it doesn't take up so much space but still works good on skin burn or small cuts. I just got a bee sting the other day and used the aloe juice on it and it works, no more pain or swelling after 30 minutes. I'll take a photo of my plant and you can compare it to yours.

Plantinyum

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2021, 09:14:24 AM »
Heres my other aloe variety, i think i identified the one i was asking for. Its aloe vera chinensis. Now i,ll have to find the edible one which is aloe vera barbadensis.

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2021, 09:49:05 AM »
Do your homework. Pretty sure even "edible" aloe should be processed in some way before ingesting.

Plantinyum

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2021, 02:17:01 PM »
Do your homework. Pretty sure even "edible" aloe should be processed in some way before ingesting.
thanks i will research this more deeply !:

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2021, 03:00:17 PM »
Yes, that is A. Barba...... you can filet it and eat it straight, blend into a drink with water or add to smoothie.
Some are sweeter than others but usually not too bitter and makes your stomach feel good.

Nyuu

• Florida , lake placid 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2021, 06:32:04 PM »
Supposed to the yellow sap is toxic enough to hurt you and kill you .
Supposedly only takes one full teaspoon to kill you . So you do have to process it and remove the yellow sap .
https://youtu.be/TkGM_xTR8rI

Nyuu

• Florida , lake placid 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2021, 06:35:01 PM »
It looks like a baby aloe vera edible variety  just give it time to see if it gets large leaves because there is some hybrid varieties look similar until maturity .

Plantinyum

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2021, 12:15:31 AM »
Thanks for the comments ! It may be the maturity thing going on, since i looked at pics of barbadensis and some of them show exactly the same plant as mine, others show much lsrger plants without the specled leaves .some of those big plants have babies that also had the specled leaves so this should be also a clue .
I will research the consumation thing , will let the plant get bigger first then to see what variety it may be. Meanwhile  i will use it on wounds and such.

About the eating i tried both of mine just like that, yet only a little nibble, the dark green leaved one was very bitter, the other one had no bitterness whatsoever.

Plantinyum

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2021, 03:29:18 AM »
Here is a link to a very helpfull page, in which the edible aloe vera var. barbadensis miller is precisely described.
By the leaf shapes and structure ,now i am sure that i have the aloe vera sinensis, which is not ment for consumption, but rather for external use.
https://deepgreenpermaculture.com/2019/04/16/identifying-and-growing-edible-aloe-vera/

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2021, 05:54:09 AM »
Plantinyum, that's good info on the description for both types (edible and non). I have both of them, my skinny leaf aloe is the non-edible, my large leaf aloe is the edible (has the yellow flowers). Glad I have a ton of the edible plants. The large aloe is very easy to grow, just pull off a pup from the side of the large plant and stick it in dirt. I should try making something with all the plants I have. I usually end up throwing away a few hundred pounds of aloe each year to clean up the growth of these plants but ever use it much except for minor burns and cuts.

Nyuu, thanks for the video link on preparing aloe juicy, just watched the video. I have a large aloe farm in the front yard, just grew so fast. I think I will try John's method to juice up the aloe and freeze it. Does anyone know how long you can keep the frozen juice before it goes bad.

Anyone in CA, or lower 48 states that would like to buy a plant, send me a PM since I just have too many plants with lots and lots of pups.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2021, 02:59:43 PM by sc4001992 »

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2021, 09:35:30 AM »
Plantinyum, that's good info on the description for both types (edible and non). I have both of them, my skinny leaf aloe is the non-edible, my large leaf aloe is the edible (has the yellow flowers). Glad I have a ton of the edible plants. The large aloe is very easy to grow, just pull off a pup from the side of the large plant and stick it in dirt. I should try making something with all the plants I have. I usually end up throwing away a few hundred pounds of aloe each year to clean up the growth of these plants but ever use it much except for minor burns and cuts.

I have "filleted," rinsed, and frozen chunks to use in smoothies before. Drinking aloe gel is suposed to be good for people with stomach and lung problems. The frozen gel can also be thawed and used topically.

Plantinyum

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2021, 02:08:43 PM »
Quess i will have to go to the botanical gardens near me, they have big succulent colections and must have this aloe for sale.
I must say i got interested in aloe the last few days since i had a nasty stye infection that i got under control in two days with the help of my mentioned above aloe plant and a warm towel placed on the eye. Ive never had such a fast recovery from this in the past....

Plantinyum

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2021, 02:16:54 PM »
u could transplant them and sell them, its kinda rare plant here, i could not think of any place i may have seen this exact variety. In onlain shops its kinda pricey too.....u could maybe also sell the leaves of the big ones ?? 

I have "filleted," rinsed, and frozen chunks to use in smoothies before. Drinking aloe gel is suposed to be good for people with stomach and lung problems. The frozen gel can also be thawed and used topically.
can u tell me, does it have any taste to it, or is it a thing that u just eat for the sake of the health benefits ? I'd assume its the latter....
« Last Edit: September 11, 2021, 02:19:50 PM by Plantinyum »

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2021, 09:27:08 PM »
I have actually eaten both types before I knew there was a difference. The one with orange flowers has a bitter flavor, but the edible one has virtually no taste if you cut all the peel off and rinse it to remove any traces of the sap. While it is used to make a drink in some cultures, it is definitely something you eat for its healing properties. I gave a bunch of frozen "crystals" to someone I know who was having stomach issues after taking antibiotics. They said it really helped.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2021, 01:24:41 AM »
I took some photos today of the two types (skinny leaf & big leaf) aloe vera plants I have. I got both of these aloe vera plants about one year apart and you can see the difference in the growth. For the skinny non-edible aloe I have three of these pots with the plants.

Here's the non-edible skinny leaf aloe photos below:

« Last Edit: September 12, 2021, 02:05:50 AM by sc4001992 »

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2021, 01:31:07 AM »
Here's the edible big leaf aloe photos below: ( There are 8 photos so I will delete most in a week so as not to take up so much of the post)

Plantinyum

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2021, 01:58:19 PM »
Here's the edible big leaf aloe photos below: ( There are 8 photos so I will delete most in a week so as not to take up so much of the post)

just wow 😀😀 those are some massive plants, i think if u thin the plants ,they should get bigger leaves to them. The ones with the smaller leaves i think are just like the ones that u have in the ground, but sinse they are potted and way overcrowded,  they do not get very big. Dunno i am prolly wrong, yet some of the bigger leaves of ghe potted ones do remind me of the inground ones , color and etc...
« Last Edit: September 12, 2021, 02:01:20 PM by Plantinyum »

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2021, 11:37:52 PM »
No, the ones in the pot does not get any taller, I have some laying around in the yard and it has roots but still does not get any taller, just grows more pups on the sides.

The big leaf plants were planted about 2 feet apart, then they just grew in the space with side pups, so I need to dig up 10 plants a year and each one of those plants weighs about 50-70 lbs since the leaves are so large and thick. All of these aloes are about 5-6 years old. I did start some of my first plants in the 2 gallon pots but they just get to large so it flips the pots so we ended up planting them along the property border to use as a hedge of aloe to keep the next door neighbors dogs from coming over and leaving present on the front yard, works well.

Plantinyum

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2022, 05:13:12 AM »
So i may have finally found the elusive aloe barbadensis, huge leaves, bluish color with whitish dust like covering.
The taste is slightly bitter ,dunno if thats how it should be before its cooked. 

JCorte

• Laguna Beach and Fallbrook, CA, zone 10b/10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2022, 10:03:31 AM »
There are more than just one type of edible aloe and yellow flowers are not an indicator of aloe being edible or not as the above referenced link suggests.
https://deepgreenpermaculture.com/2019/04/16/identifying-and-growing-edible-aloe-vera/?amp=1

In this link, it’s mentioned that 6 species of the Aloe family are edible and that Aloe arborescens contains greater concentrations of active compounds and is orange flowered.
https://deepgreenpermaculture.com/2020/08/11/how-to-grow-the-medicinal-aloe-arborescens/?amp=1 

John Kohler also has a video on a non bitter edible Japanese aloe.
https://youtu.be/QC8behZZxc4

I have plants of Aloe barbadensis miller-stockton purchased from here. https://haleynutrition.com/what-is-the-best-aloe/

Janet

Plantinyum

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2022, 12:19:43 PM »
There are more than just one type of edible aloe and yellow flowers are not an indicator of aloe being edible or not as the above referenced link suggests.
https://deepgreenpermaculture.com/2019/04/16/identifying-and-growing-edible-aloe-vera/?amp=1

In this link, it’s mentioned that 6 species of the Aloe family are edible and that Aloe arborescens contains greater concentrations of active compounds and is orange flowered.
https://deepgreenpermaculture.com/2020/08/11/how-to-grow-the-medicinal-aloe-arborescens/?amp=1 

John Kohler also has a video on a non bitter edible Japanese aloe.
https://youtu.be/QC8behZZxc4

I have plants of Aloe barbadensis miller-stockton purchased from here. https://haleynutrition.com/what-is-the-best-aloe/

Janet
thanks for the links Janet !  As far as flowers go i dont know nothing about them, except that we had an flowering aloe at my middle scool and i used to taste the nectar of the flowers, it was soo sweet....
About the bitternes i just read that its contained right under the skin of the leaf and can be easily dealt with.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2022, 12:28:52 PM by Plantinyum »

Francis_Eric

• 40 miles west of Chicago Aurora IL ZONE 5
    • View Profile
    • https://myspace.com/undisclosedforthetime/
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2022, 11:44:56 PM »
Hey hey hey
I do too want to see what to do
I have  a paranoia of what to eat,  rub on me, or of coarse rub off me
A few stranglers of ;
of coarse I hope they dissolve

Hey Bovine those Milking of the cows keep you occupied
For me they do (maybe your not passionate ) The man, & the Milkier

What was I talking about Oh That is right
For me I cannot see the bitterness in aloe
genes of another is genes of down right bastard betrayer or a partner forever
For opposites attract
One of greatness
 another of Glory
 put together the price of aloe vera
I'll take a risk of the falsified juice of the insides !!!!
« Last Edit: May 09, 2022, 11:47:15 PM by Francis_Eric »

Francis_Eric

• 40 miles west of Chicago Aurora IL ZONE 5
    • View Profile
    • https://myspace.com/undisclosedforthetime/
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2022, 11:51:14 PM »
Oops sorry

I am a lititle worried without listening to the band Gwar is this safe to eat these Aloes

Plantinyum

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2022, 02:29:38 AM »
Oops sorry

I am a lititle worried without listening to the band Gwar is this safe to eat these Aloes
i ate some of the new one i bought and did not had any side effects whatsoever . The bitter sap can be drained by leaving the severed piece in a dish or a cup with the cut end facing down. The astringeny is contained in a yellowish thin layer right under the skin, and can be drained to an extent that way.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2022, 02:41:23 AM by Plantinyum »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk