Author Topic: Modifying Clay Soil For Mangoes/Avocades/Tropicals  (Read 1042 times)

ghost2k25

• Moorpark
    • View Profile
Modifying Clay Soil For Mangoes/Avocades/Tropicals
« on: September 11, 2021, 04:16:52 PM »
I just moved into a new property and have had 3 mangoes die on me due to poor existing clay soil. Does anyone know how to successfully amend soil for tropicals or should I plant on raised bed approach.

elouicious

• Houston, Tx
    • View Profile
Re: Modifying Clay Soil For Mangoes/Avocades/Tropicals
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2021, 11:34:47 PM »
clay is going to take time to modify-

we started with 2 18 x 4 ft beds and after 2 years of burying all our compost and planting cover crops we are starting to get some good friable soil but not very far outside the bed and not very deep-

you can always amend things to the top and add vermicomposting worms etc but the soil is so large that it takes a lot

Victoria Ave

• Riverside CA zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2021, 05:22:10 PM »
I have mangoes in clay soil. One is in a raised bed that is about 1.5' feet of amended soil. The other is straight in the clay. Honestly the one on the clay seems to be doing better. You have to adjust your irrigation. Even in our very hot summer I only water every four days of a deep and slow trickle.

Frequent irrigation in clay is not a good time

John B

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2021, 02:34:45 AM »
I have mangoes in clay soil. One is in a raised bed that is about 1.5' feet of amended soil. The other is straight in the clay. Honestly the one on the clay seems to be doing better. You have to adjust your irrigation. Even in our very hot summer I only water every four days of a deep and slow trickle.

Frequent irrigation in clay is not a good time

Completely agree with this. Mango tree taking off in my crappy clay soil along with just about everything else. No amendments other than myco's and fresh unfiltered worm castings. I plant on slight mounds and mulch heavily.

I used to do all the crap people sell you on, but less it's more in clay. As mentioned above, watering is key, with heavy mulching and complete nutrients. My biggest mistakes were planting too low or overwatering when first planting.

LycheeLust

• I need the seedless lychee
    • Los Angeles, 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2021, 04:17:34 AM »
All I had to do to make my rock hard clay good was dig a large hole and amend with pumice and peat moss

Gone tropo

• Durian obsessed
    • Nth Qld Australia, zone 13a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2021, 05:10:58 AM »
Clay soil here too everything thrives without any modifications including mangoes must be something else happening.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2021, 09:57:06 AM »
What sort of clay as there are so many types with different properties regarding drying, cracking, allowing root penetration, shrinking etc. Parent material and how it formed might tell you something. If anyone has had luck with gypsum Id be surprised. Deep ripping and continual generous application of organic material is the safest bet I reckon. Planting in holes dug in it that become wells doesnt work for most plants but planting on raised lines and mounds does.