Author Topic: Fruit trees that are tolerant to wet feet  (Read 2752 times)

Nyuu

• Florida , lake placid 9b
    • View Profile
Fruit trees that are tolerant to wet feet
« on: September 27, 2021, 09:32:13 AM »
I heard at pitomba tolerant to wet feet but like know more fruiting or edible trees are tolerant to wet feet ?
« Last Edit: October 01, 2021, 04:23:55 PM by Nyuu »

ben mango

• View Profile
Re: Fruit trees at is tolerant to wet feet
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2021, 09:40:28 AM »
Mangosteen , salak

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2021, 02:18:18 PM »
Fruit trees that are tolerant to wet feet.  Could you please edit?
John

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2021, 06:04:01 PM »
How long are we talking and fully submerged crown or just soggy?

Gone tropo

• Durian obsessed
    • Nth Qld Australia, zone 13a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2021, 06:54:14 PM »
So far I can say these trees survive severe flooding without issue as I had 3ft of water over the top of some of these trees last wet season, mangosteen, pulasan, rambutan, jaboticaba.  This years wet season I will be able to tell you if abiu, duku, achacaha, rollinia and sugar apple can handle the same sort of treatment.  Im very confident that they will be able to with maybe sugar apple not liking it as much.  One of my abiu has just been planted 3ft from a creek so it will have 10-15ft of water over the top of it this wet season will be interested to see how it goes.

Finca Loco

• South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2021, 08:42:48 PM »
I have a property in west broward, water table varies from 1-3 feet below ground surface throughout year. I also have nearly 100% muck on limerock, no sand, so high ability to hold water. I have some stuff on 1-2 ft mounds, but I honestly doubt it make any difference. This is my experience with trees in the ground:

Do well: custard apple, banana, mango, longan, peanut butter fruit, acerola, jamaican cherry, sapodilla, surinam cherry(flowering/fruiting not very good, but leaf growth is amazing), avacado ( i know people say this doesn't like wet feet, but me and many neighbors have amazing looking avocado trees), pineapple, guava

Do terrible: sugar apple, atemoya, star fruit, lychee, loquat, mamey sapote, jackfruit, white sapote

Do you have a high water table or do you have poor draining soil? Both these issues can be alleviated by not having monoculture lawn around your trees that you mow, because this situation creates compaction and flooding. More diversity of roots will help with drainage by increasing aeration through better soil structure and more macro pores.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2021, 08:52:54 PM by Finca Loco »

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2021, 09:49:52 PM »
One major factor that people often do not take into consideration is whether the water is cool and moving (higher oxygen content) or hot and stagnate (almost no oxygen content). A tree's chances of survival are much higher if the water is moving. I have seen bananas and sugar cane survive 2 months of flooding after Irma. Calusa grape is a native grape vine that handles flooding well. I plan to test it as a rootstock.

1rainman

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2021, 02:22:45 PM »
Galatians you got it. I have a seyval blanc x calusa grape. It is almost identical to a calusa grape in appearance. The tropical storm we had it was under three feet of water for a night and also soggy ground during rainy season with no problem. Bananas and sugar cane are good for wet conditions. Most fruit trees like well drained soil unless you can find something that is native to a swamp.

Nyuu

• Florida , lake placid 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2021, 04:27:02 PM »
How long are we talking and fully submerged crown or just soggy?
Sorry for the late reply fully submerged brought up the subject to think of other things I can plant in areas can get too wet for other fruit trees

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Fruit trees that are tolerant to wet feet
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2021, 10:00:13 PM »
French Peanut (Pachira aquatica) is another option, it supposedly survive 4 months of flooding or more and grows in the seasonal swamps of central America with Pond Apple.

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2021, 05:58:20 PM »
One other factor is age of the tree. In the first few years the root system isn't extensive enough and is far more intolerant of flooding than a mature tree. I have seen a sugar apple planting or 3 year old trees very submerged but one year old trees in the same planting didn't survive.
So, even if you have to deal with flooding eventually plant on a mound to get the trees through the critical first few years.

Gone tropo

• Durian obsessed
    • Nth Qld Australia, zone 13a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2022, 05:17:38 AM »
Just to provide a bit more data for everyone, during recent flooding I had both an abiu approx 2.5-3ft high and a seedling atemoya tree 1ft high both have 6ft or so of water go over the top of them for 6-12 hours.  Common wisdom is the abiu being from the Amazon should handle flooding and apparently atemoya are terrible with flooding. Well my abiu died and my atemoya is thriving go figure. The abiu was extremely health with deep green leaves before this happened and was also a seedling.

shot

• usa fl bokeelia 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2022, 12:03:15 PM »

Gone tropo  good info,thanks for the update.
So many factors ,ie water temp (oxygenation) duration, soil ph (soil microbial ecology)soil  porosity,stagnation and moving water (oxygenation) even the starting health of the plant (deficiency)
 Where I have low land on the bank of a pond it floods at least once a year.The water is moving as it drains into a mosquito ditch.The trees can be a foot under water and the only thing that i have planted there that can not take it papaya.Water is down in 24 hours off the bank so jakfruit sugar apple ,atemoya are most planted trees.There is some odd stuff Quararibea cordata,Bactris gasipaes,some kind of pouteria torta,genipa americana,salak,mangosteen,mango,Astrocaryum ulei even one red prawn seedling that gets sloppy wet but not under water all doing well.