Author Topic: How is the taste of Long Green Wax Apple (Syzygium samarangense)?  (Read 4421 times)

LuvFig

• USA, CA/SoCal, Los Angeles, 10B
    • View Profile
Greetings!

I am thinking of acquiring a Wax Apple for my small yard.  There are 2 local nurseries currently have Wax Apple in stock.  One nursery only has the Thai Long Green cultivar, while the other nursery have Black Diamond, Black Pearl, Jumbo Fragrance, Red Rocket, Thai Jumbo, Thai Green.

I heard some cultivars are sweeter, more crispy and juicy, less seeds than others.  The nursery who sells Thai Long Green said it is very sweet and seedless.  Do you agree?  Which ones would you recommend?  I am looking for the sweet, crispy and juicy; if less seeds would be a bonus.  I am in zone 10B, and may keep the tree in the pot for a while until I get a chance to try the fruits before planting it in the ground.  Will it fruit in a container within 3 years?

Thank you for your feedback in advance.

Grace

pinkturtle

• LA county, CA Zone 10B
    • View Profile
Re: How is the taste of Long Green Wax Apple (Syzygium samarangense)?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2021, 02:45:20 PM »
Hi Grace,

I am on researching to add wax apple to my garden.  From what read so far, Thai Long Green is one of the sweetest out there.  Malaysia red is another one.  Black diamond and black pearl are almost the same with good favor and sweet.  Black king Kong is another one similar to black pearl but with enhance flavor.

Thanks,
Al

digigarden

• Maurice or digigarden
    • Dominican Republic,Santo Domingo- Miami.FL addr
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2021, 03:19:35 PM »
wax apple was my favorite fruit before i tasted cherimoya  :)

i had about 5 of these grown from seed and 1 air layer sold to me. So after many years all were kept in 15 gallon containers...the ones grown from seed never did flower or fruit. after 10 years only kept 1 of these plants while the air layered one has fruited heavily many times. problem it only fruits like around may and then it's over for the year. can't remember if it fruited twice per year sometimes.

CGameProgrammer

• San Diego (10b)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2021, 06:09:50 PM »
Seeds are irrelevant because the flesh does not cling to them at all; they're just in their own hollow pocket in the center. And the exterior of the fruit has the most flavor anyway. Just break a fruit in half and shake out the seeds; it's simple.

All wax jambu can create seedless fruits if not pollinated, but the flowers create so much nectar that it literally drips down and so bees go crazy for it, so pollination is very likely.

By the way, while fruits are forming you should use low water; that helps sweeten the fruits. With abundant water they just become more watery/mild. Also don't pick them until they're about to fall off; even after the color break, they still have a month or more of ripening to get properly sweet.

greenerpasteur

• San Gabriel Valley, 10B, atemoya, wax jambu, seedless guava, mango, sapodilla
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2021, 09:37:56 PM »
I have Black Diamond, Thai long green and Red Rocket.

From my research, Thai long green is supposed to be the best follow by Red Rocket and Thai Jumbo. I wouldn't bother growing Black Diamond and Black Pearl variety. Thai long green is supposedly sweet even when it's not ripe.

I'm planning to graft a couple other variety to my tree because they get so big and there is no way I can finish all.

Also you might want to look for Black Gold variety as well. They all are better than Black Diamond and Pearl.

seng

• ManOfFruits
    • USA, Ca, San Diego,92126, Mira Mesa
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2021, 09:50:46 PM »
LuvFig, my Thai Jumbo  is big, sweet, and crunchy.  Last year, it gave me 3 crops; however, only main crop is abundant.  This year it only has two crops.  Note: wax apple fruits get sweeter with age, less watering, and longer duration (hang time) on the tree, similar to figs.  Thinning the fruits and maintaining constant water is also the key to prevent dropping and cracking and getting quality fruit.  If the fruit is bagged, it get bigger and develop acidity.  Fruit exposed to the sun turn whiter and sweeter, but smaller and less taste.  Pollinated fruits have seed.  I would recommend this variety.

I'm looking to get Thai long green to add to my collection since it is rare:
http://www.chfruittreenursery.com/product/thai-long-sugar-wax-apple-seedless-limited-production/

LuvFig

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2021, 12:50:40 AM »
Greetings!

Thank you for all the replies to my inquiry.  Since then, I purchased a 3G Thai Long Green Wax Jambu (the label only said Long Green but the nursery said it is Thai Long Green) from Champa Nursery at El Monte.  It is on sale for this month.  Hope it tastes sweet; will know in a couple years!

sunny

• Thailand
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2021, 11:15:18 AM »
I 've collected all those varieties and grew them..

Actually all varieties can be very sweet and all can be very watery/bland. It all depends on growing conditions and the amount of chemicals used to keep the bugs at bay.

I culled all those tree's though because they had too many issues...even netting every single fruit wasn't good enough, then the fruit got fungus and developed bad spots.

But the best wax apple i ever ate came from my own tree, it was a rainbow variety with large pits and i gave it a lot of potassium. It was really sweet like a very good apple.

greenerpasteur

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2021, 12:51:51 PM »
Greetings!

Thank you for all the replies to my inquiry.  Since then, I purchased a 3G Thai Long Green Wax Jambu (the label only said Long Green but the nursery said it is Thai Long Green) from Champa Nursery at El Monte.  It is on sale for this month.  Hope it tastes sweet; will know in a couple years!

How much did you get it for? Mine was $100 at Van's nursery. I found a 5-7g one and the owner let me have it for that price. The rest were 3g.

Check out some other variety of wax jambu. The black sugar (bottom left) is supposed to be very sweet too.

« Last Edit: November 19, 2021, 12:54:56 PM by greenerpasteur »

LuvFig

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2021, 01:32:14 PM »
Greetings,

Is "dzu bo" the same as the Thai Long Green? How does it taste in terms of texture and sweetness compared to others?

I got the 3G Thai Long Green from Champa for $60 which is on sale till 11/30/21.

greenerpasteur

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2021, 02:00:12 PM »
Greetings,

Is "dzu bo" the same as the Thai Long Green? How does it taste in terms of texture and sweetness compared to others?

I got the 3G Thai Long Green from Champa for $60 which is on sale till 11/30/21.

That's a great price! Got picture?

Dzu bo aka Thai Long Green (seedless). I haven't try all of them so I can't commend on it. Thai Long Green and Black Sugar is supposedly all very sweet variety. Thai Jumbo is sweet when it's ripe and crunchy but hollow inside. Black Diamond isn't very sweet and I don't think it's worth growing even when it's ripe. I'm grafting different variety to my Black Diamond.

LuvFig

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2021, 02:51:56 PM »
Greetings,

That's a great price! Got picture?

Dzu bo aka Thai Long Green (seedless). I haven't try all of them so I can't commend on it. Thai Long Green and Black Sugar is supposedly all very sweet variety. Thai Jumbo is sweet when it's ripe and crunchy but hollow inside. Black Diamond isn't very sweet and I don't think it's worth growing even when it's ripe. I'm grafting different variety to my Black Diamond.

Here is a picture of the 3G of Thai Long Green that I got a few weeks ago.  How can you tell if the Thai Long Green is ripe for picking since it does not change to Red color?

All the Best,
Grace

greenerpasteur

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2021, 03:32:57 PM »
Mine hasn't fruited but I've seen change to a lighter green. That's a good size tree.

CarolinaZone

• USA,NC,7B
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2021, 09:41:47 AM »
Damn!. I want to jump in the car right now but it's a four day road trip :'(

pinkturtle

• LA county, CA Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2021, 05:44:51 PM »
I am here in the nursery, all gone

greenerpasteur

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2021, 06:15:51 PM »

I call Champa yesterday and they said they were gone. Good deal

LuvFig

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2021, 06:57:46 PM »
Wow, all gone?!  Sorry to hear that.  When I got them 3 weeks ago, it was the very next day that they potted them up after being released from quarantine.  There were rows and rows of them and I cannot even get in there to pick.

CarolinaZone

• USA,NC,7B
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2021, 11:35:20 AM »

Thanks man. You saved me a 10 hour drive. Have any of you guys checked Mimosa. They have several wax apples on their website.

pinkturtle

• LA county, CA Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2021, 12:41:58 PM »

Thanks man. You saved me a 10 hour drive. Have any of you guys checked Mimosa. They have several wax apples on their website.

I went to Mimosa yesterday in Los Angeles.  They have few, but they is very very small should be potted in 1 gal but they are potted in a 7gal for $100

greenerpasteur

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2021, 02:10:02 PM »

I went to Mimosa yesterday in Los Angeles.  They have few, but they is very very small should be potted in 1 gal but they are potted in a 7gal for $100

Check this twig for $450.

CarolinaZone

• USA,NC,7B
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2021, 02:16:22 PM »
They can kiss my.....HAHAHAHAHA ;) Those rascals say they are out of stock on website. I'm not paying $100 for a 3 gal especially not a Cali style 3 gal. I will be in Phoenix Saturday. I might hit San Diego. Anybody have an idea where the wax apples are in that area. There is a Mimosa that I visited in Rosemead. It was kinda crazy. There was some old codger there and he was talking shit and he acted like he didn't give a shit ;D. I got a good laugh out of it. The plants didn't look that good though. I wouldn't mind the ride if I can score some nice plants.

CarolinaZone

• USA,NC,7B
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2021, 02:18:11 PM »
They can kiss my.....HAHAHAHAHA ;) Those rascals say they are out of stock on website. I'm not paying $100 for a 3 gal especially not a Cali style 3 gal. I will be in Phoenix Saturday. I might hit San Diego. Anybody have an idea where the wax apples are in that area. There is a Mimosa that I visited in Rosemead. It was kinda crazy. There was some old codger there and he was talking shit and he acted like he didn't give a shit ;D. I got a good laugh out of it. The plants didn't look that good though. I wouldn't mind the ride if I can score some nice plants.
Highway Robbery!!! (if you are foolish enough to buy). :-[

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2021, 02:51:21 PM »
S.samarangense is the best in the genus and all the good types are seedless and crisp and come from Thailand and Taiwan. Some of the sweetest are green and 'white'. Malay apples really are not in the same league.  Several types seem to go by more than one name.

LuvFig

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2021, 02:56:56 PM »

Mimosa at Los Angeles is much bigger.  Both Mimosa (at Rosemead/Los Angeles) and Mimosa at Anaheim have very good selection of tropical plants.  When I shop for tropical plants, I usually visit them to compare price and selection with Champa Nursery.  There is a Louie's Nursery at Riverside also have good selection.  I just called Louie's and they have a red Wax Jambu (not sure on the cultivar) in 3G or maybe 5G for $100.  They said they will get more in coming spring.
Louie's Nursery: https://www.louiesnursery.com/plants/tropical-fruit-trees/

I found Champa has more competitive price compared to other nurseries in L.A. and Orange County but their space is much smaller; maybe they offer more competitive price to move the inventory. 

All the Best,
Grace

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2021, 03:16:50 PM »
BTW avoid seedlings and just marcots and cuttings for propagation is best. These are prized trees and high prices are pretty standard for decent varieties outside SE Asia.