Author Topic: Looking for a good Macadamia Nut cracker  (Read 1222 times)

FV Fruit Freak

• USA, Southern California, Fountain Valley, 10B
    • View Profile
Looking for a good Macadamia Nut cracker
« on: October 25, 2021, 07:06:13 PM »
If anyone knows of a good Macadamia nut cracker please let me know. Thanks
Nate

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for a good Macadamia Nut cracker
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2021, 10:30:55 PM »
A friend with a macadamia nut grove speaks highly of the crack-a-mac. They get theirs in bulk direct from Australia, but the product is also available on e-bay and Amazon from what I have seen. It works well from the demonstrations I have seen and produces mostly whole nuts.

Muni

• All there is.
    • Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2021, 10:55:05 PM »
https://www.photomagnets.com/best-black-walnut-nutcracker.html

They have some interesting products and are a family owned green company.
Allow yourself to know, if you wish, that this is a multi dimensional communication.
See what happens.

FV Fruit Freak

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2021, 12:47:11 AM »
A friend with a macadamia nut grove speaks highly of the crack-a-mac. They get theirs in bulk direct from Australia, but the product is also available on e-bay and Amazon from what I have seen. It works well from the demonstrations I have seen and produces mostly whole nuts.
Thanks for the info. I’ve seen the crack a mac around but that thing looks like a carpal tunnel waiting to happen...I think in the long run a lever/push down type system would be better but it seems like most of them crack the nut in half. I’d like to find one that leaves the nut whole.
Nate

sapote

• USA, CA, Burbank, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2021, 12:49:40 AM »
https://www.photomagnets.com/best-black-walnut-nutcracker.html

They have some interesting products and are a family owned green company.

I almost suggest to adopt a squirrel for the task, but this machine is amazing nutcracker!!! One turn of the crank and it breaks a very tough mac nut, just amazing. I would like to know how the inside geared up to provide such a big force while easy on the cranking hand. These nuts are so tough to crack, and almost blind me when I tried to crack one by bouncing it hard on the hotel tile floor in Maui, rebounded and nearly hit my eye. 

Eggo

• USA, California, LA/OC, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2021, 01:31:05 AM »
lol don't nobody hurt themselves now.  I'd also recommend the crack a mac as an inexpensive but very great mac cracker. It may be plastic but it actually works wonders I was quite deceived by its toy like koala bear look ahaha. The secret to mac nuts is that there's a dimple on the mac nuts and you apply the pressure on that point it will cracks so easily.  Quite a few crack a mac listed on ebay. They look like plastic toys.

buddy roo

• Spring Valley, Ca.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2021, 10:34:08 AM »
if you are looking for a hand held one at a time type something that a 8 year old girl could use, dig in your tool box and try your  "PVC" cutters they work great id you do not have any they can de bought at harbor
 freight or the big box stores for under $10.

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2021, 01:09:41 PM »
I guess I'd try the $20 one before the $660 one!
John

buddy roo

• Spring Valley, Ca.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2021, 01:19:43 PM »
it was a man in Oklahoma "Val" that shared that with me several years ago when I traded him a box of Macadamia nuts for a box of Pecans prior to that I never picked more than a handful of my nuts

spencerw

• Hawaii
    • View Profile
    • Tropical Self Sufficiency
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2021, 02:31:39 PM »
http://www.tjsnutcrackers.com/ ive got one of these. picked it up locally in captain cook here on big island hawaii. very effortless, but only can crack one at a time. perfect for home use. i want to say it was like $90 USD about 5 years ago

FV Fruit Freak

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2021, 06:13:18 PM »
Thank you all very much for the suggestions! I just bought the TJ’s Nut Cracker.

@buddyroo, the pvc cutters worked great in a pinch, way better than my workbench vise I’ve been using.
Nate

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2021, 06:20:31 PM »
http://www.tjsnutcrackers.com/ ive got one of these. picked it up locally in captain cook here on big island hawaii. very effortless, but only can crack one at a time. perfect for home use. i want to say it was like $90 USD about 5 years ago
I bought one years ago after trying to use vice in Garage but was a place down in Fullerton or that area same as one shown in tjsnutcracker. $100+ a little but totally worth it works excellent.

Jack, Nipomo

• San Luis Obispo County, CA zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2021, 04:00:50 PM »
Here's one that I've used over 30 years.  Tough, lots of leverage, different sized nuts.  Made out of steel and a coarse cut file for one jaw, which holds the nut from flying out.  Two different sized nuts are shown.  Easily made cheaply by one familiar with metal work and welding.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk