Author Topic: Sweetest pink/red guava, Mexican Cream guava, and guavas in general  (Read 16691 times)

SHV

• Escondido, CA
    • View Profile
Re: Sweetest pink/red guava, Mexican Cream guava, and guavas in general
« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2021, 08:23:06 PM »
La Verne nursery must be planting seeds for their guava varieties. Either that or their quality control sucks.  I have heard too many stories from people who purchased a tropic white and got a pink guava instead.  Personally, I have purchased a pink and two whites from Home Depot. One of the whites turned out to be a very faint pink fleshed variety, likely a hybrid of white and pink.
My pink guavas and red Malaysian are definitely more acidic than the whites.  I’m skeptical of a guava that tastes like bubblegum.  If Dolores and Jalisco red truly have even a hint of that flavor, someone should propagate on a large scale, rebrand them with some ridiculous name like “Bubblegum Ball” or “Juicyfruit”, and watch the money roll in. Based on the Zill mangos, we don’t even the fruit to taste like the name (Cotton Candy, Peach Cobbler) for it to be success.  Just a superior guava with a exaggerated name will suffice.

JCorte

• Laguna Beach and Fallbrook, CA, zone 10b/10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2021, 09:04:59 PM »
My husband loved Hawaiian POG juice when he was younger so looking for a great tasting guava variety to make a homemade version.  I’m trialing eight varieties. 

I ordered scions of Mexican cream from a fruit collector in Florida on eBay (seller acc2811) who claimed it was his favorite from his collection.  It rooted easily from cuttings.  There were two fruits close to ripening last week.  We tried one that was a little underripe, second one got eaten by a critter.  It was white and creamy, good fragrance, slightly sweet, softer seeds than the pink I tried a week earlier.  I think it has potential considering plant is young and fruit not totally ripe.  The pink I tried was small, had great fragrance, good flavor but only slightly sweet, with lots of hard seeds.

I have a graft of JF’s Jalisco red that’s starting to bud, so fingers crossed that it makes it.  I will post when I narrow down my selections.

Janet

palingkecil

• Los Angeles
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2021, 10:10:30 PM »
The seedling of Red Malaysian from La Verne gives me tasty fruits this year. Bought it about 4 years ago from Home Depot because of its beautiful deep reddish purple folliage.
The tree gave me fruit on the 2nd year in ground, but the fruits were bland. 3rd year the fruits were bitter, I wonder if it because it grows next to a papaya tree.
Finally this year, the fruits are tasty, little seeds only, very aromatic, with beautiful deep reddish purple color. It is definetely a keeper.
Another seedling guava I purchased is sold as 'Giant Peruvian', but the fruits are not giant, only about the size of fuyu persimmon. They are very tasty though, sweet, creamy, with very little seeds.
I have pictures of the Red Malaysian, but  not the fake 'Giant Peruvian'.
I am looking for an orange flesh guava tree now. Some member here had it, but he said it is now dead.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2021, 11:38:06 PM »
Seng, the video has very good info, but if you are trying to graft a cutting (no roots) then the grafting method does not apply. In the video it shows one plant in-ground with roots and another smaller plant in a pot and grafting one to the other which will work fine. I think that is how they duplicate/clone the rare red longans. I'm sure it should work well for grafting lychee (small plant) onto a larger tree.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2021, 11:44:43 PM »
Diana, I have a seedling orange flesh guava (they say) but it is very small and in 1 year it has not grown at all. If it grows up and has orange fruits then I will post it.

palingkecil

• Los Angeles
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 09, 2021, 12:07:02 AM »
Diana, I have a seedling orange flesh guava (they say) but it is very small and in 1 year it has not grown at all. If it grows up and has orange fruits then I will post it.

Great! Looking forward to see how your seedling turn out, Kaz.
Let me know if you want cuttings from my Red Malaysian or 'Giant Peruvian'. These trees are still young, so maybe another year before I can airlayer them.

seng

• ManOfFruits
    • USA, Ca, San Diego,92126, Mira Mesa
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 09, 2021, 12:50:51 AM »
I have two seedling of red, soft, fragrant, and sweetest compared to all my guavas.  I bought them in 1 gallon.  Now, they are fruiting.  The fruit  is small and has more seed than the mother fruit.  The branches are unlike other trees; they are weeping. The mother fruits were almost seedless.

Picture of mother tree fruit.

CaliLowWater

• SoCal
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 09, 2021, 11:47:51 AM »
La Verne nursery must be planting seeds for their guava varieties. Either that or their quality control sucks.  I have heard too many stories from people who purchased a tropic white and got a pink guava instead.  Personally, I have purchased a pink and two whites from Home Depot. One of the whites turned out to be a very faint pink fleshed variety, likely a hybrid of white and pink.

They have seedlings and they have grafted guava.  They clearly indicate which are which in their stock list that I posted a link to above. Here it is again:

https://lavernenursery.com/administrator/images/current-availability/sales-rep-avail.pdf

Go to the second page for the guavas. Tropic White and Tropic Pink are clearly listed as seedlings. That would explain why they come out so differently from seed. Mexican Cream is clearly listed as a grafted plant and I can confirm it. For some reason I can't upload pictures to the forum, but I'll try later again. It's clearly a cleft graft, one of the most perfect ones I have ever seen. Compared to that my grafted "Big Jim" Loquat (also a cleft graft) looks like a hurried whack job...but it still worked out fine.

« Last Edit: November 09, 2021, 12:16:25 PM by CaliLowWater »

CaliLowWater

• SoCal
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 09, 2021, 12:21:22 PM »

They are pretty similar in sweetness and fruit quality.  The white one I ha e was a la verne tree and labeled "tropical guava" i think.  Im not sure the guavas la verne sells are even grafted, they may all be seedlings. 

The Mexican Cream I bought that comes from them is definitely not a seedling. Cleft graft.

CaliLowWater

• SoCal
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 09, 2021, 12:23:13 PM »
Grafting guava using normal methods have failed for me.  So I use a modified method as shown in this video starting at 5:39.  You do not need to understand Vietnamese language.  I used this method to graft cherimoya, atemoya, guava, and even fig.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yq9A1IvCx7A

Thanks! Very interesting method!

CaliLowWater

• SoCal
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 09, 2021, 12:24:58 PM »

There is supposed to be a a named variety with orange flesh out there. It's called "Detwiler." Can't find it in any online nursery, though.

CaliLowWater

• SoCal
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 09, 2021, 12:45:43 PM »
I have two seedling of red, soft, fragrant, and sweetest compared to all my guavas.  I bought them in 1 gallon.  Now, they are fruiting.  The fruit  is small and has more seed than the mother fruit.  The branches are unlike other trees; they are weeping. The mother fruits were almost seedless.

Picture of mother tree fruit.

Are you saying you bought seedlings in a 1 gallon container that turned out to be really sweet, or are you saying you have a tree that produces really sweet guava and you are growing two seedlings in 1 gallon containers? How come some fruit are red and some pinkish white inside if they are from the same tree? What variety is the mother tree? Another seedling?

CaliLowWater

• SoCal
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 09, 2021, 01:28:21 PM »
Here are the pictures of the cleft graft union of my La Verne Mexican Cream I tried and failed uploading earlier. The graft union is right on top of the green tape:

« Last Edit: November 09, 2021, 01:31:32 PM by CaliLowWater »

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 09, 2021, 02:05:13 PM »
Good info on the La Verne plant list which indicates the ones from seed and ones that are grafted. After looking at my Melon guava label again, it may not be a La Verne since I can only see the name "Melon" printed on the pink label. Here's the label on my tree.

« Last Edit: November 09, 2021, 02:33:23 PM by sc4001992 »

CaliLowWater

• SoCal
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 09, 2021, 05:49:17 PM »
Good info on the La Verne plant list which indicates the ones from seed and ones that are grafted. After looking at my Melon guava label again, it may not be a La Verne since I can only see the name "Melon" printed on the pink label. Here's the label on my tree.

Interesting. This looks like what I see at some Asian grocery stores like 99 Ranch, where they sell fruit trees with similar non-descriptive labels. Do you remember what store you bought it from?

seng

• ManOfFruits
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 09, 2021, 07:21:06 PM »
"Are you saying you bought seedlings in a 1 gallon container that turned out to be really sweet, or are you saying you have a tree that produces really sweet guava and you are growing two seedlings in 1 gallon containers? How come some fruit are red and some pinkish white inside if they are from the same tree? What variety is the mother tree? Another seedling?"

CaliLowWater, over two years ago, I bought four seedling guava plants, each was 1 gallon. This year each plant is producing fruits, which have more seeds, sweeter, but much smaller than the parent fruits.  The fragrant was as strong as the parent fruits.  They are of unknown variety.  It is most likely from India.  The owner is most likely from India because of their name and look, and I saw a few plants that are known in India.  The picture depicted the mother plant fruits in various stages of ripeness. I was trying to see what ripening stages that the fruit can be eating. I sold two plants already.  I keep two plants to evaluate to see if the fruits can be bigger.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 09, 2021, 08:45:52 PM »
I only buy from Home Depot, Lowe's and Armstrong nursery so it could be from Armstrong nursery.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 09, 2021, 08:51:42 PM »
I had another nice size Melon guava on my tree which I bagged. Should have picked it yesterday, now the entire fruit with bag is missing. Probably the raccoons or squirrels got it.

Here's the photo I took a day before it went missing.

« Last Edit: November 09, 2021, 10:21:41 PM by sc4001992 »

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 09, 2021, 10:23:50 PM »
Here's my white crunchy guava, has seeds, no taste last year. I may let this fruit hang until it falls off to see if it gets any flavor.

Does anyone recognize this fruit ?
Is this the Vietnamese white guava ?

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 09, 2021, 10:29:51 PM »
One of my other neighbors (not the people with the guava grove) has some guava trees.  The grandma is around 90 and tends to the fruit trees.  She has  one that looks like that one and says its vietnmese.  I think they are super bland, not something I would grow.  I think she eats it crunchy  :P
« Last Edit: November 09, 2021, 10:31:52 PM by spaugh »
Brad Spaugh

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 09, 2021, 10:39:06 PM »
Mexican cream

seng

• ManOfFruits
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 09, 2021, 10:53:18 PM »
sc4001992, usually, the Vietnamese fruit variety is larger than that.    I bought a 1 gallon plant over a decade ago from Exotica.  Steve name it, 'Best Ong'. I assume it is a seedling of fruit from Ong nursery.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 09, 2021, 11:11:14 PM »
seng, I think my green fruit will get larger, not that much.
How is the taste of Best Ong, it sure is a large fruit.

palingkecil

• Los Angeles
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 10, 2021, 12:22:34 AM »
Here's my white crunchy guava, has seeds, no taste last year. I may let this fruit hang until it falls off to see if it gets any flavor.

Does anyone recognize this fruit ?
Is this the Vietnamese white guava ?

This looks like Vietnamese Giant Guava from Mimosa. I had the tree, but did not like the fruit. It is crunchy and only mildly sweet. I like creamy and super sweet guava.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 10, 2021, 12:37:45 AM »
Yes, same here, I would like to find one that has large fruit and is sweet, or sweet with no seeds or little seeds.