Author Topic: Airlayer Kishu Tangerine in the Winter in SoCal  (Read 925 times)

greenerpasteur

• San Gabriel Valley, 10B, atemoya, wax jambu, seedless guava, mango, sapodilla
    • View Profile
Airlayer Kishu Tangerine in the Winter in SoCal
« on: November 07, 2021, 08:11:02 PM »
Anyone has experience airlayering citrus during the winter?

I airlayer 4 large branch 2 months ago. One of them already has roots, but 3 others haven't seen alot.

Would root development still continue during the winter especially when the low is 53?

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
Re: Airlayer Kishu Tangerine in the Winter in SoCal
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2021, 01:07:03 AM »
I doubt it, I would wait until spring to start air layer for citrus.

pagnr

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2021, 03:43:27 AM »
Would root development still continue during the winter especially when the low is 53?

Root development is more than likely less than at other times, but a low of 53 F ( about 11'c ?? ) is periodic where you are ? Its not the usual day temp ??
The temp inside the wrapping around the marcott root ball may not get that low, or get back higher thru the day. Other factors like sun exposure, wind chill, rain or irrigation, may also raise or lower the temp ?? The colour of the wrapping ( black ) may also raise the temp to induce root activity.
Yes you may be better off at other times as suggested, but the winter low temp may not be a good measure of the temperature inside of a marcott, or plastic pot etc. over the entire day or month ??

greenerpasteur

• San Gabriel Valley, 10B, atemoya, wax jambu, seedless guava, mango, sapodilla
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2021, 06:47:00 PM »

Root development is more than likely less than at other times, but a low of 53 F ( about 11'c ?? ) is periodic where you are ? Its not the usual day temp ??
The temp inside the wrapping around the marcott root ball may not get that low, or get back higher thru the day. Other factors like sun exposure, wind chill, rain or irrigation, may also raise or lower the temp ?? The colour of the wrapping ( black ) may also raise the temp to induce root activity.
Yes you may be better off at other times as suggested, but the winter low temp may not be a good measure of the temperature inside of a marcott, or plastic pot etc. over the entire day or month ??

I cut down the roots. Both branches has roots. Not alot like my guava but enough it will survived with heavy trimming.

53 is the lowest temp at night. Goes from 70-80 during the day.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk