Author Topic: Malabar plum, Java plum, black plum, jamun, duhat or jambolan  (Read 1845 times)

seng

• ManOfFruits
    • USA, Ca, San Diego,92126, Mira Mesa
    • View Profile
Malabar plum, Java plum, black plum, jamun, duhat or jambolan
« on: November 10, 2021, 03:01:29 AM »
I bought a seedling from Exotica almost two decade ago.  This year it is now starting to fruit.  Massive size tree.  Root can be invasive.  Large delicious fruits. The fruits are astringing.  The riper the fruit, the less astringing.  However, there is a way to get rid of the astringing. To get rid of astringing taste: 1- put it in plastic container. 2-(optional) put a pinch of salt and ground chili. 3- close the lid. 4- very ,very gently shake using circular motion, not up and down motion.  The key is to tenderize or bruise the internal of the fruit until it is so soft and even begin to explode. 5-eat the exploded or very soft ones. 6-continue shaking. 7-go to step 5.

I aired layer the top

cluster of fruits

this is how the fruits are on the branches

fruits

MANGOSCOPE

• usa,fl,margate,10b
    • View Profile
Re: Malabar plum, Java plum, black plum, jamun, duhat or jambolan
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2021, 10:38:32 AM »
Yummy. It is best option to consume this exotic fruit. This is a practice people adopted for hundred of years in Indian subcontinent. They also use red chili powder instead of green chilies and cilantro in the mix.

seng

• ManOfFruits
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2022, 08:43:35 PM »
Make sure you put it in a container and slowly shake until the fruits are soft (and torn) to get rid of the astringent taste.

shaneatwell

• California, San Diego, sunset 23 and 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2022, 09:23:23 PM »
20 years is a long time to wait. I got mine from exotica maybe 6yrs ago?
Shane

canito 17

• Puerto rico
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2022, 09:33:27 PM »
Mine took only 5 year. Bats love it. I keep it at 10 feet size.

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2022, 09:49:20 PM »
Here in Florida we are just trying to figure out how to get rid of these trees. Lol! They pop up everywhere wet soil or dry, they seem indestructible. Thanks for the tip on how to remove the astringency!

Satya

• North Miami Beach, FL , Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • Growing rare tropicals and fruit trees.
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2022, 09:57:57 PM »
My tree is going into its 7th year this year. Hasn't fruited yet, is 20ft tall already.
Good idea about air-layering, i will try on my two leading branches. I grew up eating these in Nepal, actually love the astringency combined with the sweetness.

seng

• ManOfFruits
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2022, 10:44:50 PM »
My advice for those who don't have the tree yet is to buy air layer plant from a fruited tree even though it is more expansive.  Otherwise, you will wait for a long time.  Also, air layer will be smaller plant.

Another point to keep in mind is the quality of the fruit of the mother tree.  A few of my friends ended up chopping their trees because the fruits have too big of a seed compare to the flesh, and the fruits don't taste good.

The variety I have have good proportion of flesh to seed and taste good. Here is a picture of the size of the fruit.  I could not find the picture that show the flesh.

snowjunky

• USA, Arizona, Phoenix, 9a/9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2022, 04:12:18 AM »
I have a grafted Jambolan from River's End Nursery in Texas before they retired.
They planted many java plum seeds from Belize and India years ago and use the trees for wind breaks.
They called their bigger fruited trees Duhat like in the Philippines and used their wood for grafting.

digigarden

• Maurice or digigarden
    • Dominican Republic,Santo Domingo- Miami.FL addr
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2022, 04:59:52 AM »
found a few on a tree a long time ago and they were amazing...the tree was huge.

Deis98

• United States
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2022, 02:08:50 AM »
I bought a seedling from Exotica almost two decade ago.  This year it is now starting to fruit.  Massive size tree.  Root can be invasive.  Large delicious fruits. The fruits are astringing.  The riper the fruit, the less astringing.  However, there is a way to get rid of the astringing. To get rid of astringing taste: 1- put it in plastic container. 2-(optional) put a pinch of salt and ground chili. 3- close the lid. 4- very ,very gently shake using circular motion, not up and down motion.  The key is to tenderize or bruise the internal of the fruit until it is so soft and even begin to explode. 5-eat the exploded or very soft ones. 6-continue shaking. 7-go to step 5.

I aired layer the top

cluster of fruits

this is how the fruits are on the branches

fruits

Amazing! You can get the dried black plums from Asian Supermarket(https://asianpantry.com.au/) with delicious tastes.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2022, 02:10:42 AM by Deis98 »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk