Author Topic: when to pick Chandler pummelo?  (Read 7334 times)

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
Re: when to pick Chandler pummelo?
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2022, 02:48:32 PM »
My Valentine pummelo right next to it gets good pink-lycopene coloration, though.  Only the purple-anthocyan fruits are weakly colored for me

tedburn

• Mühlacker, zone 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2022, 05:30:27 PM »
My last of 3 Chandlerfruits looks nice, but I still want to let it ripe a few days more to get maximum taste. Do you know if there is a risk that the fruit gets dry if the fruit hangs too long ?

brian

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2022, 08:30:59 PM »
I'm not sure, I haven't had a pummelo crop large enough yet to have any left over, I eat them as fast as they ripen.  Somebody else may know, though.

this reminds me I'm still looking for a "real Chandler", nobody has it in stock yet though. 

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2022, 09:00:13 PM »
I have not seen them dry much, but quickly deteriorate, especially after falling from the tree.    After falling from the tree the fruit will quickly become soft and  start to decay.  The pummelo that I have seem perfectly fine to eat when quickly picked up after they fall from the tree. The best time is to pick them (especially grapefruit) when a slightest twist easily removes them from the tree.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2022, 01:00:14 PM by Millet »

tedburn

• Mühlacker, zone 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2022, 12:59:54 AM »
Thanks Brian and Millet, good to know not to get a dry fruit by hanging too long, so I still let the sun do their work. Nevertheless it s hard to let it hang, but I' m really curious to fully ripe flavour ? I will report then 😅

tedburn

• Mühlacker, zone 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 05, 2022, 01:27:37 PM »
Today during the visit of my daughter the curiosity was to great, so I had to harvest the last fruit. The taste we found very pleasant and sufficent juicy and sweet. Still very light bitterness. Next year I try to wait still a little bit longer  ;) to see if taste still changes. But overall Pomelo in Germany is great  8).
Regards Frank

Yorgos

• USA, Houston, Texas USDA zone 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 06, 2022, 11:34:12 AM »
Fortunately, my Chandler died due to winter storm Uri.  My Bloomsweet and Ruby Red grapefruits nearby all developed wonderful flavor, but the Chandler always tasted flat to bad even when picked all yellow.  And when I let it hang until Feb or Match it got dry and really bad.  Never could figure when the best time to harvest the fruit was because early or late it was less than satisfactory.
Clearly I was doing something wrong.

Near NRG Stadium, Houston Texas. USDA zone 9a

poncirsguy

• Cincinnati, Ohio, USA, 6a/6b
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 06, 2022, 07:47:04 PM »
The rootstock your Chandler is on can make a big difference in fruit quality.

brian

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 22, 2022, 09:20:42 PM »
I just got email notification that MadisonCitrus has Chandler in stock, so I ordered one.  I will see if the fruit is the same as the "Chandler" I received from FourWinds.

tedburn

• Mühlacker, zone 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 21, 2022, 09:30:43 AM »
Today wanted to check my fruit and it was in my hand, without forcing it. Tasted a half of the fruit after lunch and it was delicious and juicy. The best of my Chandler fruits up to now. So I can confirm Chandler is worth to grow.
All fruits I have harvested this year, after bloom in spring, have been very juicy. So this seems to me, that some fruits overwintering in cool greenhouse could tend to dry out a bit during winter when the plant is sleeping.

brian

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 21, 2022, 11:00:15 AM »
Hmm that looks nothing like I was expecting for Chandler, tedburn, but does look like what my tree produced.  I am starting to think that the pink, dry-flesh pummelos I've been buying at the grocery store for years are not Chandler, but some other pink type.  And now I have to try to figure out what it might be. 

My new Chandler from MadisonCitrus is still small, no fruit this year

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 21, 2022, 11:20:55 AM »
The Chandler tree I once had produced pink fruit.  During the winter months my heater is set to turn on when the greenhouse temperature falls to 40 degrees F. 
« Last Edit: November 21, 2022, 11:22:44 AM by Millet »

tedburn

• Mühlacker, zone 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 21, 2022, 11:41:17 AM »
@ Millet and Brian, yes I also thought or expected Chandler to get pink, but if taste is excellent this is more important  ;).
Perhaps the pink coloration comes only in the warmer climates than ours.
In every case I was very pleased to be able to harvest in the same year than blooming and before winter, didn ' expect that, though this year we had a hot and dry summer.

Citradia

• USA/NC/Old Fort/6B
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 21, 2022, 04:53:00 PM »

This is my first Chandler fruit on a tree l got from Madison citrus last year. It’s in a pot in my living room. Overwintered last year in a greenhouse just fine. I too wonder when to harvest it. It’s huge, but I assume it needs to turn yellow before it’s ready. I’ve seen them much bigger too.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 21, 2022, 09:26:21 PM »
Citradia,  do not pick the fruit green, Wait until it matures into a yellow fruit.

fruitree

• instargram.com/myfruitrees
    • Zone8, South Korea
    • View Profile
    • myfruitrees
« Reply #40 on: November 22, 2022, 04:07:37 AM »
https://www.instagram.com/p/CjNjDj9PkQ7/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Here is my Chandler Pomelo this year
It is quite good variety

tedburn

• Mühlacker, zone 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 22, 2022, 02:35:52 PM »
impressing fruit concerning size and colour.
How long did your fruit take from flower to harvest annd how old is your tree ?
Thanks and regards Frank

brian

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 22, 2022, 03:36:16 PM »
I am less concerned about the pink coloration than the juicy vs dry aspect.  One of the things I like about the store-bought pummelos is that they are dry enough I can tear one apart by hand without getting juice everywhere.  I was hoping to find a variety to grow myself that is the same way.

The juicy pummelos taste fantastic.  They're just messy.  I like the dry ones because I can take them into the office with my lunch

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 22, 2022, 03:56:48 PM »
Brian, I had many different pummelos and they are usually not juicy but more as you describe the store-bought ones, dry enough that you can tear apart each fruit sack and eat them.  I got rid of my Chandler pummelo a long time ago (top worked tree) since it didn't have the pink flesh color and taste was just ok (not sweet) here in SoCal. Now the only real pummelos I kept are the Reinking, Thong Dee (my best taste), and Roys (seedling Chinese). All of these are dry enough that you need to pull apart each fruit sack. All have seeds, but at least they seed are in the middle so pretty easy to remove when eating them. The Hybrid pummelos (Valentine, Cocktail) are juicy and sweet.

tedburn

• Mühlacker, zone 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 13, 2023, 05:36:56 PM »
Now in the 3rd fruit year I left one fruit hang until last week - hope was to get a juicy and sweet wonderfull Pomelo.
No, it was eatable, not to dry, but not very juicy and not very sweet. O.K. to eat but no very positive surprise.
Compared to my Valentine- or Cocktailpomelofruits nothing special. So concerning harvest time long hanging brings no advantage in my region.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 13, 2023, 07:56:13 PM »
Yup, that's why I changed over my Chandler since it was not better tasting than average variety. I really like the Thong Dee and Valentine. Also my Roy seedling (Chinese pomelo) which are sweet and each fruit sack is easy to take apart, so is Thong Dee, but not the Valentine it's very juicy.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 13, 2023, 07:57:18 PM »
Ted, your Chandler rind is super thick this time.

brian

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 13, 2023, 10:36:52 PM »
My new Chandler from MadisonCitrus is really odd looking with funky distorted leaves that don't even look like citrus.  I wonder if it had some scale (thrips?) attack on the tiny leaves before it arrived. 

In any case, I'm hopeful it will be a dry type, but I'm not really worried because my original questionably-Chandler is really tasty, just more juicy than I wanted

tedburn

• Mühlacker, zone 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 14, 2023, 02:33:32 AM »
Hi Kaz and Brian,
yes the rind is super thick, perhaps also because it was the smallest and latest fruit of this bunch and perhaps also cold overwintering by deepest 1°C is not very supporting for a good fruit. See my post up here from November, I had bigger fruit, thinner rind and more juicy.
Brian, hope your new plant will get good fruit.

brian

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 30, 2023, 12:16:24 PM »
My new Chandler from madisoncitrus has a fruit ripening.  I think it needs a few more weeks before I pick it.  Meanwhile, the old suspect "Chandler" from fourwinds is blooming heavily but I had cut it back severely until I get around to grafting it onto flying dragon.  It seems I bought it eight years ago and it is still about the same size, though the trunk is obviously much thicker.

This is the new Chandler first fruit.  Whatever was the issue with the leaves on arrival has not shown up on new leaves, I suspect some local insect at the nursery that isn't prevalent in my greenhouse.