Author Topic: Cempejack cold tolerance and care questions  (Read 1468 times)

TheDisGardener

• USA, LA, Zone9a
    • View Profile
Cempejack cold tolerance and care questions
« on: November 30, 2021, 04:53:55 PM »
I have the opportunity to buy a Cempejack from a local nursery. It's a Artocarpus Heterophyllus x Integer Hybrid. I'm wondering if anyone has experience with this tree and can provide some tips for care and fruiting. As well as the cold tolerance on the tree. I'm picking it up in the spring as they're starting to go dormant. I'd like to grow it in ground considering how big the fruit gets, but if it'll fruit in pots that'd be good aswell. This person also sells camu camu but they're way out of my budget  ;D

Jaboticaba45

• Check out TN Tropical Fruits!
  • Tropical Fruit Tree Connoisseur
    • Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
Re: Cempejack cold tolerance and care questions
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2021, 05:48:17 PM »
Based on my observations, chempejack is more cold tolerant than chempedak. Not too sure how it compare to jackfruit, but you probably couldn't fruit it in LA without some protection. Definitely would get damaged when temps dip below freezing. I was able to taste a fruit in FL last summer, and it tasted just like a jackfruit, and it didn't have too much latex, much less than a jackfruit. One of the best jackfruits ever. I've seen the trees kept at heights of around 15 feet with proper pruning.

TheDisGardener

• USA, LA, Zone9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2021, 06:03:49 PM »
I've heard they have little to no latex and can lean towards cempedak or jackfruit. I hope mine leans more towards cempedak as I like the slight "funk" of that. So if I prune it yearly and keep it under 15ft I should be able to grow in ground with a frost blanket for if it gets below freezing? I've only found one thing that says they survive light freezes and even floods just fine

kapps

• Florida, Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2021, 06:22:03 PM »
I’m interested in this as well. I have a seedling Cempedak and Cempejack. Hoping one of them will survive my winters. I’ve seen a post about a Cempedak that handled 32f under a light cover so frost didn’t hit the leafs. Definitely planning on keeping them heavily pruned with my small yard. My neighbor put in a jackfruit maybe four years ago and it’s 30’ tall now and taking up a third of his back yard.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2021, 06:39:29 PM by kapps »

TheDisGardener

• USA, LA, Zone9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2021, 08:16:43 PM »
Yea I'm definitely gonna keep mine to 15' -20' max. I have a bunch of other potted trees that don't need to be shaded out lol

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2021, 10:55:07 PM »
I have grafted Cheena Chempejack and it has been smaller than any Jackfruits I have. Very easy to open and productive.

TheDisGardener

• USA, LA, Zone9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2021, 11:11:57 PM »
I have grafted Cheena Chempejack and it has been smaller than any Jackfruits I have. Very easy to open and productive.

I'm super excited for it

FV Fruit Freak

• USA, Southern California, Fountain Valley, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2021, 11:40:09 PM »

How does the taste compare with the best Jackfruit you’ve ever had? When you say easy to open does that mean it has little latex? Thanks
Nate

TheDisGardener

• USA, LA, Zone9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2021, 12:45:14 AM »

How does the taste compare with the best Jackfruit you’ve ever had? When you say easy to open does that mean it has little latex? Thanks

Not op but I've heard cempejack doesn't have much to no latex

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2021, 08:09:32 AM »
Yes, very low latex I needed no oil to open. The skin peels off by hand no need for a knife. Just peel off the skin and reach in. Once 1/2 the fruit bulbs are out, turn it over and peel off more skin to do the same.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2021, 05:58:15 AM »
I have shown a few chempajacks before with Grays lemon and banana chempajacks being quite exceptional. On their Gordonvale farm they have Cheena as well and it just isnt in the same league.
Lower temp tolerance. -1c to 4c depending on variety would be my stab depending on which side of the family tree they are leaning. Some chempas struggle below 5c.

Tlaloc

• https://www.instagram.com/laloscorner/
    • Spacex, CA 10B and EAFB 8B
    • View Profile
    • Lalo's Corner
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2021, 12:01:43 PM »
I sprouted five CH17 and are 16" tall now.
I have no luck growing jackfruit, and I dont expect any better with these seedlings. But you never know.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2021, 04:27:48 PM »
Chempas are far more difficult to grow whn young and sudden death of seedlings for no apparent reason is common.

cassowary

• Australia FNQ 13a Tropical Monsoon
    • View Profile
    • cassowaryseeds
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2021, 06:00:51 PM »
Have experienced sudden death of cempedak seedlings, not as easy as jackfruit. Our cempejacks are going very well.
CASSOWARYSEEDS.COM
Seed shop and Seed exchange

TheDisGardener

• USA, LA, Zone9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2021, 06:43:02 PM »
Have experienced sudden death of cempedak seedlings, not as easy as jackfruit. Our cempejacks are going very well.

The one I'm getting is supposedly fruiting age so fingers crossed